Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Complete newbie question - Traxxas Slash 4x4 race setup

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Complete newbie question - Traxxas Slash 4x4 race setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 AM
dwilt72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete newbie question - Traxxas Slash 4x4 race setup

I have flown RC airplanes for 4 years, and just recently purchased a Traxxas Slash 4x4 truck that I am doing some racing with. Nothing real serious (rookie class right now), but I wanted to find out some basic mods I could make to get it to handle a little better. I have practiced on the local track and am getting better, but wonder if there are some small tweeks (nothing radical yet) that I could make to get it to handle the track better. So far I have added the sway bars and a motor fan. On the sway bars, I have started with both silver bars, then a few days ago, I changed it to a black front bar and a silver back bar. It seems to handle a little better, however, the main issue is when I get on the throttle the back end wants to fish-tail on me. I'm working on trying to "feather" the throttle and figure out how fast I can go in certain sections of the track, etc, but if I could get it to handling just a touch better I would do better. The track surface that I race and practice on is a hard clay surface with some pretty big jumps (waist high).

I have asked guys at the track, but get tons of info, some of which contradicts others. My main problem is that I know who to ask about airplane stuff, but being so new to trucks, I haven't developed that relationship with anyone at the track yet, and there seem to be so many more options to setting up a truck than when setting up an airplane. I appreciate any info y'all can give me!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:25 PM
nitroexpress

Default RE: Complete newbie question - Traxxas Slash 4x4 race setup

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_73...m.htm#10809459
Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 PM
dwilt72

Which of the 109 pages are you trying to point me to? Page 109 doesn't have much info.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're starting to get more into racing, and starting to be able to handle the slash well, you'd really be doing yourself a favour by considering picking up a racing truck (unless you're talking about a Slash only class?), and some nice electrics to go with it.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 AM
savagecommander

i used to run a 4x4 at my track with a 6.5 550, and i cant tell you how many times i was asked if it was an SC10. true, the 4x4 does have a higher center aof gravity than the flat pan trucks, but if you have your suspension set up right and the right set of tires anything can be fast.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 PM
FahrtAutoRC

If you plan on sticking with the Slash that is great, but you may want to consider a better race model. I run a Slash 4X4, and yes, it is very fast and pretty much drives itself, BUT it took a ton of work to get there. Like, as much work and money to have bought a roller for my electrics and a whole other RC. After that it became a really great truck. There are simple things you can do to help the handling on it. Tires are first. They are probably 90% of handling. Do you have pics of where you are racing at? A solid description of the track surface? We may be able to suggest ballpark ideas of the "right" tire but it is generally better to ask someone who races there.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 PM
dwilt72

I'm not planning on getting into this too deep yet. I just want to get the truck I have now running great. I have too much invested in airplanes to get in too deep with racing the truck. I have been working on my throttle control and analyzing where I can accelerate and where to slow down some on the track, but if it were handling just a little bit better, I could do better with it.

Right now I have the black sway bar in front and the silver sway bar in the rear. I'm about to change it to black in front and back. I've heard quite a bit about changing the springs out, so that's probably my next step. After that I may try the tires, but I'm reluctant to spend 60 to 80 bucks on it. I tried two bowtie tires in the rear and it did help a little bit, but I'm not sure it made enough difference to put that much money into it. The main issue I have is when I hammer the throttle it fishtails like crazy, sometimes a complete 180. Maybe that's just the way the truck handles, but seems like there should be something I could do to eliminate that. Other than the fishtailing, it seems to do great and it's amazing to me how tough the truck is and how much abuse it will take.

I do not have a picture of the track. I race at Mike's Hobby Shop in Carrolton, Texas (near Dallas). It's a hard clay surface, has several tight turns and three large jumps back to back that are about waist high, then 4 smaller jumps back to back that are about knee high.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:10 PM
nitroexpress

I pointed you to the best area for Slash questions.If you're interestedin improving your slash,109 pages isn't that many.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:08 PM
savagecommander

springs, shock oil, and tires are qll you should need. i ran the stock tires, only needed two bottles of oil, and picked up a spring pack for $15. i spent more on racing than i did upgrading the truck.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:28 AM
dwilt72

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

i used to run a 4x4 at my track with a 6.5 550, and i cant tell you how many times i was asked if it was an SC10. true, the 4x4 does have a higher center aof gravity than the flat pan trucks, but if you have your suspension set up right and the right set of tires anything can be fast.
Is that the battery size you are talking about?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Foxy

Nah, he's talking about motor. 550 refers to the length of the can (longer 550 type motors make more torque than the standard 540 type), and when he says 6.5 he means motor turns (lower is faster). for 4x4 SC racing, a 550 type motor is considered minimum, unless you can get your hands on one of the 540 4-pole motors (more poles again=more torque). This is a very good and economical combo for short course racing, it's one of the 4-pole 540s I mentioned... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...le-1410-3800kV . I use this motor in my Jammin SCRT-10, but with a slightly stronger speed control, cos I bash mostly on 3s. The combo speed control is fine for 2s batteries (many run them fine on 3s, but I wouldn't risk it ).

For batteries you just want a good 2s lipo, at least 4500mAh and at least 30C.

I concur with what others have said about chassis setup. Just observe the behaviour of your truck and adjust accordingly. If the back is loose, soften the back end or stiffen the front end. If the truck understeers, soften the front end and stiffen the back end. You only need shock oils and different springs to achieve this.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 AM
dwilt72

Thanks for clearing that up Foxy. Being new to this, I'm still trying to figure out a lot of the shortcuts that people use.

I have one more question. I have heard people talk about upgrading to a center differential. I have heard using a center diff takes away the the ability to use a reverse. Is that true? If so, I probably want to wait on that until I get a little better with the truck.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Foxy

A center differential is just that, an additional differential in the center of the drivetrain. Having one will not take away your ability to reverse, and is indeed an important tuning part for racing. It controls the distribution of power front and rear. I am not familiar with the slash, but if it doesn't have one and there is an easy way to fit one, it would certainly be a good idea.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:18 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Which Slash 4X4 did you get? If yours did not come with a center diff then stock replacements can be had for around $30, and it makes a night and day difference. You also do not lose reverse, but if you are racing most clubs wont allow its use anyway. It can also then be tuned by using different weight diff fluids in it as well, I recommend the Losi diff fluid, works best and the little tubs are easier to work with IMO
Old 11-16-2011, 04:21 PM
savagecommander

IMO the center diff lets you turn sharper on tight tracks, but if you're running a high torque motor it can cause the front wheels to unload on a sharp hard turn, on power. Not only that, it's harder to adjust for oversteer, as the rears will unload to the front. Not really worth of if you ask me
Old 11-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

IMO the center diff lets you turn sharper on tight tracks, but if you're running a high torque motor it can cause the front wheels to unload on a sharp hard turn, on power. Not only that, it's harder to adjust for oversteer, as the rears will unload to the front. Not really worth of if you ask me
That's what it's designed to do. [&:] Amongst many other things it; prevents too much oversteer on corner exit, keeps the front wheels on the ground, makes turn in FAR better, makes it more difficult to spin out, acts as a slipper...and more.
I'm surprised you quote the lack of oversteer as a bad thing. If you enter a corner correctly, the 'pulling from the front' action of the center diff makes your corner exits as fast as they can be. If you are not finding this, try stiffening your front diff for more even pull.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 AM
FahrtAutoRC

You can prevent that issue by fluid tuning it. I run 50K in my center diff, 15-20 up front and 10 in the rear. This combined with my set up allows me to just tap the brakes and rotate the truck into the turn then power cleanly thru the rest of it.