Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Carpet and On road racing

I would like to get into carpet and on road racing. I would like any info on them, and any cars that can work well for both, if there are any, since I don't know much about these type of cars.
    The superior person uses his mind like a mirror: it accepts all, it reflects all, It recieves, but it does not keep.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Carpet and On road racing

Do you have a carpet track near by? 2wd carpet is a fantastic class. The cars are tough, cheap, handle like they are on rails, and the people you race with are usually pretty mature. You can race an entire night using a single 2s battery. Foam tires do get expensive though, especially you race really hard. If you want to get into carpet, check out what classes your local track has. Associated makes great, affordable pan cars, you can pick up an old bolink for like $25 on ebay too. 4wd? The TC3 is a great beginner car, with tons and tons of aftermarket support. Mini is also a fun class, most people run HPIs and Tamiyas.

It really just depends on your driving style, and how much attention you want to devote.
    Her name was Lola. She was a show girl.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yea I do. What is a better car to have fun with at the track 2wd or 4wd?
    The superior person uses his mind like a mirror: it accepts all, it reflects all, It recieves, but it does not keep.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Personally, I like 2wd pan cars more than the others. Legends is ridiculously fun if your track has it, it's usually spec, and geared towards beginners. Mini is also pretty damn fun. 4wd carpet is where things start getting competitive, I am not too fond of it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was thinking about maybe getting a 2wd but I can't find any. Are they all 1/12 scale? Do you know of any that you can recommend?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The RJ speed Sport 3.2 is, hands down, the best beginner kit, It's tough as hell, simple, and light. The next step up would be an Associated RC10 R5, which is pretty much a purpose built oval car, it runs about $250. The X-Ray X10 is a fantastic car, I have one, it costs a bit more than the R5 though. It all just depends on what you want to spend. You will need electronics for all these though.

If you want 12th scale, you might want to look into Calandra cars.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: proanti1

The RJ speed Sport 3.2 is, hands down, the best beginner kit, It's tough as hell, simple, and light. The next step up would be an Associated RC10 R5, which is pretty much a purpose built oval car, it runs about $250. The X-Ray X10 is a fantastic car, I have one, it costs a bit more than the R5 though. It all just depends on what you want to spend. You will need electronics for all these though.

If you want 12th scale, you might want to look into Calandra cars.

Actualy, the Team Associated RC10R5 is a purpose built on road pan car.
    http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a.../Factory_Team/

There is also the RC10R5-Oval car, purpose built for carpet oval.
    http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a.../Factory_Team/

Both are great cars from a great manufacturer.
    I think a good beginer car would be a rubber tire touring car. Tires will last a lot longer than foam and I am sure there are some of the local racers that will offer to help in the set up department.
    It is just a matter of deciding what you want to race and getting some practice in and most of all, have fun!!!!

Go fast, turn left, repeat as needed!!!
    My spelling sucks, get over it!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you decide to go the pan car route, CRC is in my opinion the best out there. Well besides CFEX, but they are not complete kits and take a lot of extra pieces to complete. If you go touring car, go ahead and spend the extra and go XRAY. They are worth the money and are very durable compared to other touring cars. Plus they handle great right out of the box. I currently run the Tamiya 417, but due to its fragility it is not good for someone starting out. The TC6 is also a great car, cheap parts, and parts are easier to find locally.
    Donovan P.
    Team ReVtech, Sweep Racing Tires, Upgrade RC