Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Can RTR Be Competitive

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Rocketeer10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can RTR Be Competitive

A lot of newer and younger RC Car fans have been asking questions like "can ready to race cars do well at the track against custom rc cars." I wasn't to sure how to respond, but we would like to know from those that actually race RTR cars. Check Out This Article On RC Car Action And Lets Us Know. Do you think RTR can be competitive at the race track against more expensive and custom built cars.

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2011...-at-the-track/
Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Can RTR Be Competitive

There are still very few ready to 'race' cars on the market, if any that can truly be called ready to race. The thing is that to be ready to race they need to include suspension geometry adjustment tools (not hex and turnbuckle wrenches, setup tools and gauges). Also, RTRs invariably have 'all purpose' tires, and even if they had a racing tire on them, it may not be suitable for your track. Basically, it's a contradiction in terms 'ready to race'. You said yourself you had to change the elcetronics and tires, you even tried several different sets. Bet those parts cost the same as the kit RTR, and that's what we're talking about here isn't it...racing on a budget. So to answer the question, no there is not and never can be a car that is ready to hit YOUR track straight out of the box with no additional expense, and if there was, it would cost a thousand bucks.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Of course they can be. You buy, say, an AE RC8 RTR and you can plonk that down on the track and do just fine with just a tire swap and some suspension adjustments.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: 378

Of course they can be. You buy, say, an AE RC8 RTR and you can plonk that down on the track and do just fine with just a tire swap and some suspension adjustments.
Still not really ready to race out of the box still which is what it sounds like the OP was trying to get at
Way the post was worded it sounds like open box goto track throw RTR down, and win
Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nearly every RTR is competitive at some level, if there is a class for it. I have seen people do good with redcats... it all really depends on the driver, and the other people on the track. Also, what is your definition of "race"? Club events? Spec? Nats? Of course there is always something much better out there, but just because the box says "RTR" does not mean the car is completely incapable of racing. RTR slash VXL's do fantastic, one of my friends has not upgraded a single part (besides tires), and he wins races all the time.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 AM
DaveG55

First, I always thought that RTR meant "Ready-To-Run", not Ready-To-Race...
Second, I feel like in most cases, the actual car is less a factor than the drivers ability. I think that a beginier with the most tricked out vehicle possible is still going to lose if competing with a seasoned driver driving a stock car.
Third, I feel like people falsely believe that state-of-the-art equipment will automatically make them better. A golf duffer won't really be any better with $2000 clubs than they would be with $200 ones. A newb wake boarder will not really be any better using high dollar boards and bindings than they would be with good, entry level ones, etc.
Fourth, everyone has to start somewhere to gain the skills needed to be competitive in whatever endevor. It's more important to get out there and do "it" rather than worrying that your equipment is somehow "inferior" to someons elses.
Fifth, if someone has to ask "is that (fill in the blank) competitive", then, well, refer to #3
Sixth, as a persons skill level increases in whatever they are attempting they will be better able to take advantages of the pros (and cons) of more advanced equipment
Seventh, I believe that starting out with equipment that is too far advanced for ones skill level can actually make it more difficult to master a given skill.

So, to the OP, in my opinion, yes, an RTR, in the right hands can certainly be competitive against a much more custom car.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: 378

Still not really ready to race out of the box still which is what it sounds like the OP was trying to get at
Way the post was worded it sounds like open box goto track throw RTR down, and win
Well you would have to fine-tune the tires and suspension on a kit, too. You're not going to get an RC that's perfect right out of the box, kit or RTR, some adjustment will be required before it suits your preferences.

Though there likely are racers that could win by yanking an RC8 out of the box, breaking it in and plonking it down without touching anything but the carb and linkages. It is 50-75% driver, after all, a good driver with an average car can beat a meh driver with a perfect car without too much trouble.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:46 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes - BUT... You have to find a track that has an honest STOCK class. For a while I ran in a SCT class were the trucks had to be 100% stock out of the box and the techs knew what they were looking for. Even had one of each truck on hand for reference. The only thing you could change was suspension settings and they were strict. If they though the shock oil was changed they'd ask you to refill in their presents. Once a truck was tech-ed in it stayed in the "tech" area until the race. That was a great series and everyone could win on given night.

SPEC Slash is still a huge class as well so finding a track that runs this class is pretty easy and it's about the most fun i've had racing in years. Again the trucks have to be 100% stock at most tracks.

Keep in mind that winning is more about the driver and less about car or truck. Some years back we had a "semi pro" driver that practiced at our local track. He would help guys out with setups etc and was a genuinely nice guy. After he won a number of races a bunch of guys started giving him a hard time about cheating because his lap times were seconds faster than everyone else and he was often several laps ahead at the end. To prove a point he borrowed a stock blitz from a kid, tech-ed and entered mod. He won by almost a full lap with a 100% stock truck. Clearly this stopped the cheating rumors dead in their tracks..

Can they be competitive... Yes but you need to do your part.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:56 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never even been to a track that didn't have a stock class... besides a few unpopular ones that only had a few regular participants.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:33 PM
McWolf_101

The very short answer is, 'Yes'. Truthfully, whether you purchase an RTR or a kit, there are a few things that MUST be done before you can even THINK about competing in ANY type of race. As noted before, examples of these things include tires and suspension. I agree with proanti1 that it depends on the individual's definition of the term 'race', and I also agree with DaveG55 that 'RTR' means 'Ready-To-Run' (for the most part) and not necessarily to the gimmick referral that some companies use, that is, 'Ready-To-Race'. Finally, as has been stated COUNTLESS times before, racing is 90% driver and 10% car. A pro with an RTR vehicle will ALWAYS do MUCH better than a newbie with the most expensive kit. It's as simple as that. There's absolutely nothing with wanting the 'best'. However, there is NO 'best' when it comes to RC vehicles. If there were, there would be no need for so many manufacturers and everyone would have the same vehicle(s). Just my opinion.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
steed2-inactive

i absolutely love this hobby but my driving skills are less than average, i think i would do as good at a buggy or truggy race with a clodbuster as i would with a tricked out mugen or xray etc. in my opinion, equipment helps but its mainly the driver. can a rtr be competative, its a very contradicting question because no it will not be competative against a better handling, faster, better braking full race spec vehicle given all things equal, but that doesnt happen. a pro will kick you @#$ no matter what he's wheelin. i think your equipment needs grow with your skills.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: McWolf_101

The very short answer is, 'Yes'. Truthfully, whether you purchase an RTR or a kit, there are a few things that MUST be done before you can even THINK about competing in ANY type of race. As noted before, examples of these things include tires and suspension. I agree with proanti1 that it depends on the individual's definition of the term 'race', and I also agree with DaveG55 that 'RTR' means 'Ready-To-Run' (for the most part) and not necessarily to the gimmick referral that some companies use, that is, 'Ready-To-Race'. Finally, as has been stated COUNTLESS times before, racing is 90% driver and 10% car. A pro with an RTR vehicle will ALWAYS do MUCH better than a newbie with the most expensive kit. It's as simple as that. There's absolutely nothing with wanting the 'best'. However, there is NO 'best' when it comes to RC vehicles. If there were, there would be no need for so many manufacturers and everyone would have the same vehicle(s). Just my opinion.
Nobody said anything about what's the best, but since you brought it up, there certainly are 'better' and 'worse' cars. It's probably not a coincidence that this article refers to probably the best RTR SC (in terms of handling and chassis at least), I would like to have seen the author do the same thing with a stock Slash 2x4 for example.

As for driver skill, when we're talking about comparisons, we're only talking about drivers of similar ability, otherwise where's the comparison? Still, having said that, I don't care if you are Ryan Maifield, I'm gonna walk up and down your RTR butt because I'm a 'decent' driver, with a well put together and adjusted car, with top of the line electronics, whereas you may be a godlike driver but simply cannot corner or go down the straight anywhere near as fast as me. If you can't catch me in the infield, and you can't catch me in the straight, where does driver skill come into it?

This is silly guys, RTR on a track? Unmodified (ok, I'll give you tires, but nothing else), driver skill or not, there are certain prerequisites in order to be competitive.

We have to be careful here not to give less racing experienced members the idea that they can take a box stock RTR, slap on some tires for the local surface and expect to be competitve, cos they simply won't be. If they are experienced drivers, why the hell would they be using an RTR in the first place? This blog is a completely flawed argument.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:36 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

This is a silly question aimed only at driving traffic to the site owned by the company that writes this guy's paychecks.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 AM
Foxy

Well said. Bear in mind also that he spammed several forums with a link to a discussion on the RCCA forums "Electric vs Nitro" (obviously I removed all of them). Just spamming us with deliberately controversial topics in order to generate traffic. Shame, I thought the old RC organisations (nee institution that is RCCA over the years) would try to maintain some professionalism, I guess selling out has become the norm these days. I'm locking this up, as I don't believe it adds anything to the forum.