Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 PM
TSR10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Turbocharger

so ive been lookin all over the place lookin for a 1/10 snail and im not seein anything. i see supercharger but no turbos. and i know that boosting dosent really do jack i was just wounder if theres any out there.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:24 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

with a nitro RC its much easier to make a supercharger driven by a belt then a turbo charger.
and since the backpressure on a nitro engine is important to how it runs, adding a turbo would really mess things up.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can not turbocharge a ported two stroke (nitro rc engine)...

Although I have been wanting to try one on a saito I have laying around.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM
TSR10

ive done HOURS of research on 2 strokes and i have a full understanding of why they cant be boosted andthe natural "turbocharging" that the back pressure from the exhuast produces, which yes would be screwed by a turbo. i want to cnc a turbo for 4 stokes whichCAN hold boost and wanted to see what was out there to get an idea of what others may have done for some jump start ideas. i know mirco boost have some but there web site isnt up now for some reason and i though for sure there were other snails somewhere out there.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM
proanti1

Well... are you talking about a nitro 4 stroke? Because the exhaust they produce is rather "dirty", you would jam up a little turbo pretty quickly with oil and carbon.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:14 PM
rockNrollRC

it would be kind of neat to see someone design a turbocharger, but like the superchager, it wouldn't produce anything worthwhile in the power department
Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: TSR10

ive done HOURS of research on 2 strokes and i have a full understanding of why they cant be boosted and the natural ''turbocharging'' that the back pressure from the exhuast produces, which yes would be screwed by a turbo. i want to cnc a turbo for 4 stokes which CAN hold boost and wanted to see what was out there to get an idea of what others may have done for some jump start ideas. i know mirco boost have some but there web site isnt up now for some reason and i though for sure there were other snails somewhere out there.
-explain a turbo banshee then-
Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

ive done HOURS of research on 2 strokes and i have a full understanding of why they cant be boosted and the natural ''turbocharging'' that the back pressure from the exhuast produces, which yes would be screwed by a turbo. i want to cnc a turbo for 4 stokes which CAN hold boost and wanted to see what was out there to get an idea of what others may have done for some jump start ideas. i know mirco boost have some but there web site isnt up now for some reason and i though for sure there were other snails somewhere out there.
Valves.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 PM
savagecommander

banshees are two stroke- try again.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Are Banshees Valved two stroke or valveless?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Are Banshees Valved two stroke or valveless?

Valved.

And as far as i know, the engines we used arent valved.So -try again.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 AM
savagecommander

unless you call reeds "valves" i think you should do a little research- and try again...
Old 07-15-2010, 01:10 AM
TSR10

wait... are you talkin rc banshee or atv banshee???

Old 07-15-2010, 09:03 AM
SAVAGEJIM

unless you call reeds ''valves'' i think you should do a little research- and try again...
There are also rotary valves. Whether these rotary valves are upstream of the intake ports or downstream of the exhaust ports, that is the question.

These engines have both reed and rotary valves.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 AM
proanti1

Port lapping.

- explained.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 AM
savagecommander

port lapping? did you just look up the most intelligent thing you could find and post it? c'mon people, if youre going to say "ive done HOURS of research on 2 strokes and i have a full understanding of why they cant be boosted" i want to hear why. too many people on here talk out of thier boxer shorts and i think its time we involve people who can have an informed discussion on the subject.

by the way, the search button will reveal a fine thread called "RC turbo design problems"
Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 AM
proanti1

port lapping? did you just look up the most intelligent thing you could find and post it? c'mon people, if youre going to say ''ive done HOURS of research on 2 strokes and i have a full understanding of why they cant be boosted'' i want to hear why. too many people on here talk out of thier boxer shorts and i think its time we involve people who can have an informed discussion on the subject.

by the way, the search button will reveal a fine thread called ''RC turbo design problems''
Ok, I'll bite.

You cannot turbocharge a cylinder ported two stroke because the amount of fuel/air entering the cylinder is directly related to the volume of fuel/air compressed by the pistons downstroke and the crankcase volume. Hypothetically increasing crankcase volume (compressing the fuel air mixture) will increase the amount of fuel/air entering the cylinder. Too much fuel/air enters the cylinder, the excess blows out the exhaust port that was opened prior to the scavenge/injection ports opening. I did not copy this from anywhere, this is from my own knowledge.

Port lapping is basically moving the exhaust (or intake) port from the cylinder to the piston skirt, so either one can close off, thus not allowing the excess fuel/air mixture to leave the cylinder prior to ignition.

There, now leave.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 PM
TSR10

wow all i asked was if anyone knew if there where turbos out there, i didnt ask for anyones input on if it can be done like i said i know it doesnt do jack ITS JUST COOL! i think its kinda sad that some of you use your time to ***** about things instead of finding a way to make the "impossible" work. but this port lappings soundin pretty slick, u know of any usefull threads on it? cause id really like to see how all this plays out.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:25 PM
savagecommander

good luck finding that out. your best bet is to NOT POST when youre looking into turbo's for an RC. too many armchair engineers.

"the excess blows out the exhaust port that was opened prior to the scavenge/injection ports opening"

ever hear of valve overlap in a 4 stroke? its the point between the intake valve opening and the exhaust valve closing WHERE BOTH VALVES ARE OPEN ...sometimes as much as 90 degrees... but i guess the idea of forcing a fuel charge into a cylinder faster than it can escape through directional porting and careful expansion chamber design is outside of too many peoples cereal box.

yes, i can talk about this all day.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Savagecommander:

Okay, your responses are not much better. Single sentence answers are not going to enlighten these guys. Seriously, go back and read your replies, all you are doing is being "mightier than thou" with these single sentence answers with absolutely incomplete explanations.

Your first post: This is such a terrible way to reply. Absolutely no explanation at all, only Attitude. This useless reply does not enlighten anyone at all.

banshees are two stroke- try again.

Your second rely still has some attitude, but at least you are steering people to a thread that has information concerning what we are all talking about:

unless you call reeds "valves" i think you should do a little research- and try again...

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...#ixzz0tmX7rhVG
Your posts # 16 and #19 are much more informative, but you are still rubbing people the wring way.

Bottom line: Ease Up, you have alot of knowledge, but stop flaunting it around and using it as a weapon by making people feel stupid.
You should have just jumped in with the answers and the link to the other thread instead of trying to make people feel like they are fools. If they are wrong, give them the correct information, but please, reconsider your tone of rubbing us all the wrong way.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:51 PM
proanti1

good luck finding that out. your best bet is to NOT POST when youre looking into turbo's for an RC. too many armchair engineers.

''the excess blows out the exhaust port that was opened prior to the scavenge/injection ports opening''

ever hear of valve overlap in a 4 stroke? its the point between the intake valve opening and the exhaust valve closing WHERE BOTH VALVES ARE OPEN ...sometimes as much as 90 degrees... but i guess the idea of forcing a fuel charge into a cylinder faster than it can escape through directional porting and careful expansion chamber design is outside of too many peoples cereal box.

Ever hear of xanax, you should probably pop a few and step away from the internet for a while.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:10 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: proanti1

''the excess blows out the exhaust port that was opened prior to the scavenge/injection ports opening''

Ever hear of xanax, you should probably pop a few and step away from the internet for a while.

I hear prozac works wonders too.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 PM
rockNrollRC

port lapping? did you just look up the most intelligent thing you could find and post it? c'mon people, if youre going to say "ive done HOURS of research on 2 strokes and i have a full understanding of why they cant be boosted" i want to hear why. too many people on here talk out of thier boxer shorts and i think its time we involve people who can have an informed discussion on the subject.
You're preaching to the choir here. I've been lurking here for a long time and this place has WAY too many know-it-all's with over-inflatedegos. I will say, overall, it's a pretty decent source of information, just have to wade thru the bullcrap.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 PM
TSR10

you know what if the next freakin post isnt an answer to my question im off this site completly cause this is rediculous. i dont give a crap if boosting works or not and i dont care at all what you opinoin is. i posted for help and all ive gotten so far is crap
Old 07-16-2010, 10:07 PM
savagecommander

no turbos. RBinnovations had a super, but thats all ive ever seen on the market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.