Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

1/8 RC8 buggy or MGT 8.0?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:25 PM
007mrdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 RC8 buggy or MGT 8.0?

hey guys iim gonna either buy

1/8 RC8 BUGGY RTR or MGT 8.0 RTR but i cant decide

i wand the car to go fast do high jumps and flips and must not break i wont be racing a lot just sometimes for fun with my friend and i will be generally riding in grass and soil sometimes aphalt and concrete. i have a e revo vxl it can be controlled at mid air which is really nice ( the car must also have that ) it keeps flipping while turning in mid and high speeds i actually dont want that and the most importand thing is IT MUST BE DURABLE! AND SURVIVE HIGH JUMPS and MUST NOT BREAK IN THE FIRST CRASH
Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/8 RC8 buggy or MGT 8.0?

you are really asking us to compare apple to oranges here. But I would say go for the buggy if for no other reason you already have an MT with your e-revo ( I assume based on your description you have the full size 1/10 scale revo and not the mini 1/16 revo). I have never owned an rc8 but I have owned several 1/8 buggies and there really is very little difference between them and I am sure the RC8 will be a great car to own. It has a very good reutation as a solid platform. I have looked into getting one for myself I just haven't yet. If you do descide you want another MT you can't go wrong with the MGT 8.0 I have had every major model MT and the MGT was the most reliableone to drive out of all of them. the only downside is that it is a fuel pig. but it is relatively fast, jump well,and is built like a tank. If I was looking to get an MT I would probably get another MGT 8.0 myself.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:51 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to do jumps, flips and donuts? Don't want to race? MGT 8.0, end of discussion.

Want something that handles better than a Mack truck? Get the buggy.

Both vehicles will satisfy your durability requirements as best as any RC will, so it pretty much boils down to whether or not handling matters. The MGT doesn't handle. You slow WAAY down, just off idle, if you want to turn that sharp. Either that or you just barge through whatever's in the way, doesn't matter. The buggy lacks ground clearance, but it will handle much better thanks to lighter weight, lower COG and the center diff.

Oh, and the MGT has reverse, if that matters to you. The buggy will not.

Lastly, don't expect miracles. Even the buggy is going to flip if you swerve hard enough, and if you jump it high enough you will break stuff. Same goes for crashing. They're machines, they have limits, and if you don't respect their limits they will very strongly disagree.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 AM
007mrdr

ORIGINAL: yakfish

you are really asking us to compare apple to oranges here. But I would say go for the buggy if for no other reason you already have an MT with your e-revo ( I assume based on your description you have the full size 1/10 scale revo and not the mini 1/16 revo). I have never owned an rc8 but I have owned several 1/8 buggies and there really is very little difference between them and I am sure the RC8 will be a great car to own. It has a very good reutation as a solid platform. I have looked into getting one for myself I just haven't yet. If you do descide you want another MT you can't go wrong with the MGT 8.0 I have had every major model MT and the MGT was the most reliableone to drive out of all of them. the only downside is that it is a fuel pig. but it is relatively fast, jump well,and is built like a tank. If I was looking to get an MT I would probably get another MGT 8.0 myself.
i have the mini erevo vxl and it is pretty nice.
378 thx for the small detail that the buggy doesnt have reverse! i need reverse and i gues i will be going with the mgt8.0 however the grip is not so good it can do reverse thx to all of you guys helped a lot

Old 12-04-2011, 08:00 AM
driller2948

If you had compaired RC8T to MGT 8.0 it would hvae been a much more difficult dession! But if reverse is a must for you than the MGT 8.0 is the only choice that has rev. I have both a Mugen Truggy and a MGT! The MGT has a few up grades the Mugen is stock and both have clockworked Picco .28's. The Mugen will run circles around the MGT, out jump, out turn, soak up bumps, easily out performs, but only has a small advantage after all the upgrading I did. I probably have an extra $400 in the MGT. I love them both and there great for my entended purpose! If you buy the MGT it wont be long before you begin grading it will start small and eventualy you will have a $700-$1,000 invested @ $0.30 to $0.50 on the dollar! If you haven't bought yet consider a truggy! RC8T, Thunder Tiger ST1, Hot Bodies D8T, OFNA Hyper ST, Mugen MBX6T. Besides you wont be disapointed if you indeed buy the MGT! If you do attached is a link of usefull info! Enjoy!

http://www.monstergt.com/articles/
Old 12-04-2011, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: 007mrdr

ORIGINAL: yakfish

i have the mini erevo vxl and it is pretty nice.
378 thx for the small detail that the buggy doesnt have reverse! i need reverse and i gues i will be going with the mgt8.0 however the grip is not so good it can do reverse thx to all of you guys helped a lot

Reason the buggy doesn't have reverse is A: ROAR doesn't allow it, and B: It's needless weight that srs bsnz racers spazz so much about. It also adds quite a bit of complexity to the transmission.

Oh, and the MGT has plenty of grip. Too much, in fact, a bit less grip would keep it wheels side down a lot more. It will ride wheelies as far as you can keep an eye on it, you have to be careful with the throttle if you don't want to flip it over backwards.

ORIGINAL: driller2948

If you had compaired RC8T to MGT 8.0 it would hvae been a much more difficult dession! But if reverse is a must for you than the MGT 8.0 is the only choice that has rev. I have both a Mugen Truggy and a MGT! The MGT has a few up grades the Mugen is stock and both have clockworked Picco .28's. The Mugen will run circles around the MGT, out jump, out turn, soak up bumps, easily out performs, but only has a small advantage after all the upgrading I did. I probably have an extra $400 in the MGT. I love them both and there great for my entended purpose! If you buy the MGT it wont be long before you begin grading it will start small and eventualy you will have a $700-$1,000 invested @ $0.30 to $0.50 on the dollar! If you haven't bought yet consider a truggy! RC8T, Thunder Tiger ST1, Hot Bodies D8T, OFNA Hyper ST, Mugen MBX6T. Besides you wont be disapointed if you indeed buy the MGT! If you do attached is a link of usefull info! Enjoy!

The RC8T is just an RC8B with longer suspension arms, different wheels/tires and a different shell. It would do him no better than the RC8B for the same reasons, that being it's a low slung race machine that lacks reverse.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:51 AM
007mrdr

S
ORIGINAL: driller2948

The dealer that i am going to buy from doesnt have rc8t in stock and they only sell team associated. Btw while i was there i saw a truggy called carson cnt. Do you guys know anything about it?

Old 12-04-2011, 12:32 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The associated 8.0 engine is a piece of crap, which is enough of a reason to stay away.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:44 PM
007mrdr

ORIGINAL: proanti1

The associated 8.0 engine is a piece of crap, which is enough of a reason to stay away.
i ve been researching mgt 8.0 for a long time and yoy are the first one to say that the engine is crap:S
Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 PM
driller2948

Really!
Most of the RTR’s are actually pretty decent; it’s just the low budget electronics & engines that get the brand wars started. Inexperience has a lot to do with it!
I agree compared to the race mills the 8.0 engine is a piece of crap. But I have had Associated .21, 4.6, 8.0 HPI 5.9 & Picco .28, .27, .26 and for what they are, RTR mills the Associated 4.6 is just as capable as the HPI 5.9 but the 8.0 is in a league of its own! Now I would personally sell the 8.0 engine and get the LRP .28 or Picco .28 if I got the MGT! However If I chose to get a truggy or Buggy I would go with whatever mill they came with an upgrade when I needed more!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:16 PM
driller2948

ORIGINAL: 007mrdr

i ve been researching mgt 8.0 for a long time and yoy are the first one to say that the engine is crap:S
I'm glad you called proanti1 on that. The 8.0 is not a bad mill for what it is! The MGT is the simpliest Monster truck to work on hands down! Rock solid IMO!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:21 PM

From everything I've read over the past couple of years it's quite a good engine. Sure it only revs to about 28,000RPM, but what do you expect out of such a large engine?! It's designed for torque. It does torque like nothing else. It's also got the same AE reliability any of their other engines do. Bet you'd say my 18 CV-RX is crap, too, because it won't rev for beans. It redlines at just 32K, with it's peak power around 28K. It can't even hope to hit the lofty 40-45K redlines of racing .12s, hell, it's not even mechanically strong enough to spin that fast.

Both engines, my OS and the AE 8.0, are designed for heavy monster trucks. They're designed to spit out torque, torque, some torque, and when you've got enough even more torque...and then they'll add a bit more torque on top of that. That's what they do best. Put one on a track and it won't perform, put one in a mudpit and you can't do better.