Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

hobbytown bad for hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:39 PM
bruceal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hobbytown bad for hobby?

It all boils down to the store's employees. I would like to have people that are in the hobby wait on me. When I first started planes, I went back to my LHS for advice and I bought what they suggested. By them helping me, I was happy to buy the right equipment from the start. With a lot of small business's going out, stores like HobbyTown move in. One thing that might help is that expierienced hobbyists can suggest to the store what items are used in their area.

What I'm trying to say is that these stores should stay in touch with local clubs to see what items are popular. For example, I would rather a person come to my club to learn to fly with a good trainer set up, rather than say a foam Park Zone cub. I would rather see people buy something that they can recycle into something else rather than fly it break it and trash it.

I feel that more people get turned off by buying cheap equipment rather than asking what they should be buying in order to get trained properly. Also clubs and hooby shops should be able to recommend each other. This promotes growth in the hobby. R/C is a great hobby, once you have the right stuff.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM
jermpool

ORIGINAL: bruceal

It all boils down to the store's employees. I would like to have people that are in the hobby wait on me. When I first started planes, I went back to my LHS for advice and I bought what they suggested. By them helping me, I was happy to buy the right equipment from the start. With a lot of small business's going out, stores like HobbyTown move in. One thing that might help is that expierienced hobbyists can suggest to the store what items are used in their area.

What I'm trying to say is that these stores should stay in touch with local clubs to see what items are popular. For example, I would rather a person come to my club to learn to fly with a good trainer set up, rather than say a foam Park Zone cub. I would rather see people buy something that they can recycle into something else rather than fly it break it and trash it.

I feel that more people get turned off by buying cheap equipment rather than asking what they should be buying in order to get trained properly. Also clubs and hooby shops should be able to recommend each other. This promotes growth in the hobby. R/C is a great hobby, once you have the right stuff.

Well said. I have always felt that if your local stores hold events that it could help the hobby grow.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:02 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Hobby Town opened and closed within 12 months in my local area. They sold very little RC plane stuff and catered to the car people. In addition to that 90% of their inventory was nothing but arts and crafts. Hobby Town is not a hobby shop for modelers.

Uh what? [:-]
all depends on the store, amd in my area I think they do very well and help so many get into the hobbies
Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM
xerxes

ORIGINAL: jermpool

ORIGINAL: 378

ORIGINAL: Smiff 24

Nitro can be frustraiting for a first car, just learning how to tune can be a pain.
No, not really. Unless it's defective or a bad engine they're no more complicated than changing a light bulb. You just need some common sense and a good instructional video that clearly demonstrates the sights and sounds of these engines under different states of tune, and Traxxas provides such a video with their cars.
I never had an instructional video to change a light bulb.
how many thundrbird ownrs duz it take 2 screw in a litebulb?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Wilson4824

I work for a Hobbytown in South west Indiana.. Just an FYI for those who dont know.. All Hobby town are Francised owned.. ... So training of employees is up to the local owner.
At my Hobbytown.. we work hard to help customers find the right product for their cost and activitiy. At my hobbytown.. There is now way I would let anyone go out the door with JATO as a first car... Not good sales.. I want the coustermer to be happy cuz happy customers are repeate customers.

So dont blame Hobbytown for a person not doing their homework.. You would not by a TV or car or anyother High priced Item without doing your homework.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: xerxes

Nitro can be frustraiting for a first car, just learning how to tune can be a pain.
No, not really. Unless it's defective or a bad engine they're no more complicated than changing a light bulb. You just need some common sense and a good instructional video that clearly demonstrates the sights and sounds of these engines under different states of tune, and Traxxas provides such a video with their cars.
Two. One to do the work and the other to laugh at xerxes.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im pretty sure it went down like this....

"i want something, fast"
do you want nitro or electric?
"yeah, i think i want nitro... whats fast that i can run in the yard but also in the street"
i have this traxxas jato here, its like a on/offroad truck.
"ok cool thanks"

so he got what he WANTED but not something he really needed to start out with.
you CAN steer someone off what they want for something thats ideal, but if they dont get what they WANT they wont be happy.

s' how it goes.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:35 PM
xerxes

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

o'rly?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 AM
grimbeaver

Hobby Town opened and closed within 12 months in my local area. They sold very little RC plane stuff and catered to the car people. In addition to that 90% of their inventory was nothing but arts and crafts. Hobby Town is not a hobby shop for modelers.
Not true, it is completely dependent on who is running the store. The Hobby Town in my area caters mostly to modelers, also including some trains, plastic models, etc. They stock far more airplane stuff then car stuff. Only a small portion of the store is arts and crafts items.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:52 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Agreed....sounds like he has a decent friend who can help show him the ropes.

On another note, if he went into the LHS looking and asking for a crawler and they sold him a Jato 3.3, no matter what the LHS is named, I'd go back and have a few choice words with those monkeys. They obviously don't understand anything about customer satisfaction and ensuring that new customer becomes a long term client.
I'm an airplane guy but I have a quick question ... How much stuff do U buy from the LHS and how much do U mail order? I go to our local Hobby Town and ask if they can get something and for what price. If there willing to get it at a fair price I'll go with them. But I ask First. As for selling anything to a beginner ... Your buddy still has his car. A beginner with a Plane he can't handel ends up putting it in a Garbage Bag on the first flight. How's that for discouragement.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:55 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: grimbeaver

Not true, it is completely dependent on who is running the store. The Hobby Town in my area caters mostly to modelers, also including some trains, plastic models, etc. They stock far more airplane stuff then car stuff. Only a small portion of the store is arts and crafts items.
How long did it take you to train your Hobby Town manager. Ours is a "Broad and Blond" Untrainable ...
Old 12-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

htusa isnt any mor bad 4 da hobby den any lhs is.

ur dudez a noob. he walkd in wantn a crawler but left wit a jato. obviously he found sumtn with more allure dat he wantd more den a slow crawler.

he can also go bak & buy a crawlr if he still wants 1. mattr of fact, he can buy any amount of any kind of rc he desires.. dont blame da lhs, blame a change of taste
Holy hell
Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 AM
traxxas slash
My Feedback: (8)

hobbytown is a great lhs. thats where i have bought all my cars but you just have to have ur patience ready cause they will try to sell any car to you whether beginning or not..
Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 AM
jermpool

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

ORIGINAL: grimbeaver

How long did it take you to train your Hobby Town manager. Ours is a ''Broad and Blond'' Untrainable ...

LOL, our local hobbytown manager has great people skills. But the last time I was in there she was looking up a body for me and got a phone call and I told her the answer for the caller. She has ours headed in the right direction from where it was a year ago, but she is clueless when it comes to the rc.

hobbytown is a great lhs. thats where i have bought all my cars but you just have to have ur patience ready cause they will try to sell any car to you whether beginning or not..
My opinion, if it was a great store you wouldn't need your patience ready.
I have been in 3 different Hobbytowns, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Kenesaw. All 3 were ran different, even though the Chattanooga store is more like the knoxville store now. I'm guessing because they are a franchise what they can pay their employees is limited, which could cause a problem getting quality employees that want to expand the hobby not just sale stuff. A few of ya'll are lucky and have those quality employees at your store.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I'm guessing because they are a franchise what they can pay their employees is limited, which could cause a problem getting quality employees that want to expand the hobby not just sale stuff. A few of ya'll are lucky and have those quality employees at your store.
No hobby shop ThunderbirdJunkie has ever heard of, apart from one, has paid anybody anything higher than 50 cents over minimum wage.

People don't work in hobby shops for the money (you can make more at Booger Fling), they work in them for the employee discount and to BS with like-minded individuals.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
4u2nv-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

quote:

ur dudez a noob. he walkd in wantn a crawler but left wit a jato. obviously he found sumtn with more allure dat he wantd more den a slow crawler.

he can also go bak & buy a crawlr if he still wants 1. mattr of fact, he can buy any amount of any kind of rc he desires.. dont blame da lhs, blame a change of taste

Holy hell

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thank you!! I thought I was the only one!!

Is the public education system this bad, really? I understand texting but this isnt a smart phone and we are not texting!! I still cant believe texting is actually a word now?!? Guess I am getting old!!! THANK GOD!!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
ncsky

ORIGINAL: 4u2nv-RCU

quote:

Holy hell

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is the public education system this bad, really? I understand texting but this isnt a smart phone and we are not texting!! I still cant believe texting is actually a word now?!? Guess I am getting old!!! THANK GOD!!

Iwas thinking the same thing.For a minute I thought I had logged onto an RC site in a non-English speaking country.

Idefinitely know I'm getting older.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:57 AM
FreakyDude

recently I was at my LHS when a 15 year old kid and his dad wanted to buy nitro first time out, they steered him to an electric and not only that but they offered in my opinion a very good model then gave him a 10% discount. WOW just for trying and joining up, now that is how you get folks interested and grow your local market and grow customer loyalty.
That discount will keep him coming back once he realizes what it was he recieved.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:57 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

Holy hell
hmm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48281.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1702637  
Old 12-20-2011, 01:25 PM
jermpool

ORIGINAL: 4u2nv-RCU

quote:

Holy hell

++++++++++++++++++++++++

nope, this xerxes guy is a loser, I don't even read what he posts, just pass it up and read whats next
Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 PM
rchabits

I introduced a friend at work to my rc crawler a few months back. Of course he wanted one. Yesterday he text me to ask if our local stores were open today, yes on 1 no on the other. I told him to ask me before he bought anything, not that I'm some all knowing expert on rc but being in it for 15 years I have some personal experience, plus what I read on here and learn from you guys. He was in Knoxville and stopped at a Hobbytown and left with a Jato 3.3 without asking me what I thought. I had a Jato for about 2 months and if I would have started with that truck I doubt I would have stuck with this hobby. I liked it but I do not think it is a good first car and you would think any hobby shop would stear newcomers away from it. I hope I'm wrong and he absolutely loves it.
Any opinions.
hahahhahha,classic case of you try to give someone advice and thought you dont know *** your talking about so they do the opposite...just hilarious.Next time try steering him left and he might go right!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:45 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

no, but the one in evansville indiana never has much related to RC.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rchabits

hahahhahha,classic case of you try to give someone advice and thought you dont know w.t.f. your talking about so they do the opposite...just hilarious.Next time try steering him left and he might go right!
Really???? Whats wrong with you?? I haven't seen a single post from you that has been the least bit beneficial to this forum. All you do here is criticize or make fun of people and tell them they don't have any idea what they are doing. If anything you are chasing people away from the hobby. Why don't you try being constructive.These forum are'nt ment to flame and put people down all the time. They are designed to be a place where like minded people with similar intrests can share ideas and help people learn about the hobby. I don't think I am the only one who is getting tired of the crap you are bringing here. Get a life man
Old 12-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

hahaha

Old 12-20-2011, 04:46 PM
MetallicaJunkie

hobby town is more bad than good, at least for my hobby(RC Planes) not the park flyer type.... they seem to cater to the RC car and heli crowd... they closed down over a year ago due to poor management, not lack of business....the only thing i miss was the glow fuel they sold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.