Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

100 MPH Nitro RC Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100 MPH Nitro RC Car

I just saw an ad for the Traxxas XO-1. I thought that the idea of a 100+ MPH RC car was really cool...until I went to Traxxas's website and saw the $1100 price tag. Is it possible (through gear changes, engine change, suspension tuning, etc...) to make a nitro, like my 8ight, hit triple digits? With stock engine and stock gearing I hit 52 MPH once, but I think I had it really leaned out. What would I need to double that?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:23 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 100 MPH Nitro RC Car

with some really tall gearing, really high-revving high torque engine (like jammin jpx .21or .28) and slinging the chassis really low with a good aerodynamic body and light tires (foam) i think it can be done.

much easier with a lemans style racer (1/8 4wd carbon fiber pan chassis with pancar tires) that would be EASY to do 100mph with one of those, and out handle the traxxas all day long.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would take A LOT of power to push an 8ight to 100. A LOT. Those cars are about as aerodynamic as barns. You would have put a touring car body on it, foam wheels, run really tall gearing, find the most powerful engine you could, then have it modded for top end power. Even then, you may only max it out around 70ish. You would probably have better luck converting it to twin engine.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Sigma.40

Thanks for the replies. Well, I am not skilled enough to do a twin engine setup and would not know where to begin. Would other cars be easier to do this with? NTC3 or a Jato? I had just suggested my 8ight because I figured that it was more likely to break100 than my Savage XL . I am not opposed to buying anew(or used) RCand popping a newhigh end engine in it. I just don't want to spend $1100 on a Traxxas.

I also would not be opposed to buying an electric to accomplish this goal, if it would cost less.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My suggestion: Wait about three weeks, find a wrecked XO-1 on CL for a couple hundred bucks, put a couple hundred more into repairing it, and go that way. It won't take long for McCreditCard to buy one, unlock it, and roll it at 100MPH, thus ending his interest in the hobby. Nitro can do a buck but you need soo much custom driveline parts and one hell of an engine to do it.

You could also see about acquiring an XO-1 roller in a few weeks and converting that to glow power. It's got the aero and gearing to do it, I reckon a large enough engine would be all you need.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: 378

My suggestion: Wait about three weeks, find a wrecked XO-1 on CL for a couple hundred bucks, put a couple hundred more into repairing it, and go that way. It won't take long for McCreditCard to buy one, unlock it, and roll it at 100MPH, thus ending his interest in the hobby. Nitro can do a buck but you need soo much custom driveline parts and one hell of an engine to do it.

You could also see about acquiring an XO-1 roller in a few weeks and converting that to glow power. It's got the aero and gearing to do it, I reckon a large enough engine would be all you need.
Yeah, I could see some never-ran-an-RC-car person seeing that it hits, buying it and have it become FUBARed in about 5 minutes. Hell, I am not 100% that I can handle an RC at 100+ and I've been running RCs about every day for a couple years.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:22 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

I would think the easiest way to break 100MPH with nitro would be with a 1/10 scale touring car (with an internal gear ratio capable of pulling those speeds) and a high revving big block .21 engine. whatever you use needs to be light and areodynamic. without downforce you won't be able to kee the car planted at those speeds. I think it would be very difficult to do using an 1/8 scale platform just because of the extra weight. Unless you are using an carbon fiber 1/8 pan car like the shark suggested.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:46 AM
djyjrlz

these cars with the right gearing hit 100 mph with a small bit of effort...

with a nice .21 they can cost in excess of $800-$900 but will be built to hit massive speed and also out handle pretty much anything.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:24 AM
Ttowntoolman

Were would you use a car that goes 100mph? I am thinking speed runs on closed coarse........cant think of anywhere else, kinda limits the fun factor. I am thinkin a sketchy monster truck that goes 60 70 mph tips the fun factor scale in a more favorable position. You make anything that will go that fast and you will limit the fun factor and or it's abilty to run anywhere. If you get your 1/8th scale buggy rolling that fast it will be virtually useless for anything but speed runs.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:49 AM
The_Shark

i made a rc18t that theroretcly could do 110MPH, 600watt OUTrunner motor in there.

somewhere near 3/4 top speed it would either flip or melt the diffs.

its over-rated to have a car go that fast, no one races a scale car a whole quarter mile, im sure its not very "quick" compaired to a nitro machine geared for 60mph, plus that x01 probly handles a track like a piece of junk.

plus, you make a mistake at 100, you can kiss that car goodbye.

that traxxas is a complete waste of money to me.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:56 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: djyjrlz

with a nice .21 they can cost in excess of $800-$900 but will be built to hit massive speed and also out handle pretty much anything.

Yes, but these are designed to do those speeds. Although most of them are geared for a top speed of 50-60. OP has an 8ight, which is basically just a low slung off road truck.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:01 AM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: djyjrlz

Yes, but these are designed to do those speeds. Although most of them are geared for a top speed of 50-60. OP has an 8ight, which is basically just a low slung off road truck.
i suggested that type of car because its a nitro platform that capible.... im sure the OP just brought up the buggy since he already has one.

i think it COULD be done but would take alot of work (you would have to put a car body on it and sling it really really low.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:54 PM
quietnas1

93 mph Jato.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3IEr...e_gdata_player

103 mph electric Rustler...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0cAg...e_gdata_player

It can be done with ST's, it just takes alot time, effort, mods, and money.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:25 AM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

93 mph Jato.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3IEr...e_gdata_player

103 mph electric Rustler...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0cAg...e_gdata_player

It can be done with ST's, it just takes alot time, effort, mods, and money.
It CAN be done with ST's but 2wd drive makes it difficult to put down the power needed to get it going that fast. my rc10gt will hit around 70MPH but much past 60 and it is very hard to keep the nose down. 4wd is better in so many ways I have now all but left my RC10GT neglected in the garage. I think the wieght of a front diff actually help keep the front down.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Sigma.40

I was using my 8ight as an exmple. I like that one as it is. I like yakfish's idea of the 1/10 touring car. I can find those pretty cheap on Craigslist. I also like Quietnas's rustler comment/video. I can find those almost free. Maybe some weight in the front will keep the nose down.

As for where I'd run it, There is a bunch of dead end roads near me that go nowhere and have no traffic.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:17 AM
quietnas1

To keep the nose down both trucks had lead weights in the front. A touring car will be alot easier to get up to those speeds. Good luck on your quest and keep us posted on progress.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Sigma.40

I am very interested in doing this, but am not in any hurry as we have tons of ice and snow outside. It will probably be a spring project, but I'll post back when I start it. Thanks for all the help. I know very little about on-road RCs.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:21 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I think its best if a nitro has a 2 speed if you are going for speed runs. A touring car would definately be best as well.

Its true that its over rated to have a real fast r/c though IMO. I have geared my jato down slightly and put some offroad tires on it and Its still stupid fast and does well off road. Only problem is i have been tearing it up because i keep flipping it on the road. lol Gonna have to limit myself to offroad with it if i want it to live I think. lol
Old 12-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I think its best if a nitro has a 2 speed if you are going for speed runs. A touring car would definately be best as well.

Its true that its over rated to have a real fast r/c though IMO. I have geared my jato down slightly and put some offroad tires on it and Its still stupid fast and does well off road. Only problem is i have been tearing it up because i keep flipping it on the road. lol Gonna have to limit myself to offroad with it if i want it to live I think. lol
I agree on the touring car. I just want an RC that will hit 100+ and make it. It may be over-rated but I already have 2 very nice off-road RCs. I am not interested in on-roads so if I got one, it would only be for high-speed runs. As long as I can somewhat keep it in a stright line, I don't really care how well it handles otherwise.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 AM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

I agree on the touring car. I just want an RC that will hit 100+ and make it. It may be over-rated but I already have 2 very nice off-road RCs. I am not interested in on-roads so if I got one, it would only be for high-speed runs. As long as I can somewhat keep it in a stright line, I don't really care how well it handles otherwise.
Are you set on using nitro? I think it can be done reletivley easily with brushless. For alot less money than Traxxas want for that new XO-1. I am in the process of gathering parts for a 100+ MPH brushless car. Using a Losi 8ight 2.0 chassis. so you are already half way there is you have the 8ight and don't mind going brushless.

I think it could be done with a 1/8 scale nitro buggy but you would probably need to do a dual engine setup with a couple high end screamers And tall gearing. I think this would cost more than brushles for sure. I know it can be done with 1/10 touring cars as long as you can find a chassis that has lots of gearing options available. and the right internal gear ratio.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: yakfish

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

Are you set on using nitro? I think it can be done reletivley easily with brushless. For alot less money than Traxxas want for that new XO-1. I am in the process of gathering parts for a 100+ MPH brushless car. Using a Losi 8ight 2.0 chassis. so you are already half way there is you have the 8ight and don't mind going brushless.

I think it could be done with a 1/8 scale nitro buggy but you would probably need to do a dual engine setup with a couple high end screamers And tall gearing. I think this would cost more than brushles for sure. I know it can be done with 1/10 touring cars as long as you can find a chassis that has lots of gearing options available. and the right internal gear ratio.
I am not set on using nitro. However, I want to leave my 8ight the way it is so I will probably buy something else soon. Maybe a TC3.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I know there is a video of a brushless 8ight on youtube doing 100mph with an MMM and 6s lipo. If you are set on nitro though, then that does you no good

What about one of the nitro drag cars? Have no idea how they would handle on an unprepped surface (I have an idea it wouldnt be good), but im sure they would do 100.

http://www.qualitytoys.com/dark-thunder.html

http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...3&click=106800

Old 12-27-2011, 10:00 AM
steed2-inactive

what about a nitro 4-tec (pick a used one up, or a roller) and a modded picco .28? some foam tires and you off to the races. probably be a handfull, where as the xo-1 was designed for this speed (hence it size), and after 50 mph it actually becomes easier to drive, as far as traction goes.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Sigma.40

I like the drag car idea. Is that oneyours?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:18 PM
proanti1

I know there is a video of a brushless 8ight on youtube doing 100mph with an MMM and 6s lipo. If you are set on nitro though, then that does you no good

What about one of the nitro drag cars? Have no idea how they would handle on an unprepped surface (I have an idea it wouldnt be good), but im sure they would do 100.

http://www.qualitytoys.com/dark-thunder.html

http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...3&click=106800

I have one of these with a 12TZ in it, Megatech Dark Thunder... thing flies. It's in storage right now, but I would basically just drive it on asphalt. You really need to pay attention to what is actually on the road though, I accidentally hit a small piece of wood at about 60 and exploded the entire front end. It flew a good 20 feet and landed in someones yard, still running but with the pipe popped loose. Fun car though, dragster donuts look pretty intense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.