Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

When LiPo's Attack!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:12 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: When LiPo's Attack!!!

ORIGINAL: trx1

LiPos are devices of evil created by the devil they will take you to HELL! stay away!

Yes, and they sad the same thing of the fist cars, when they replaced horses....

On he other hand, if all the lipos in all the cell phones would disappear, people would have so much time in their hands...

Gerry
Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 AM
GerKonig

Reading the thread, I realize the name is incorrect. It is called "When LiPo's attack" and in reality, reading the messages I have arrived to the conclusion that the lipos were just defending themselves...

WE attack the liPos, WE do stupid things to them, and then, when the LiPos defend themselves from our idiocy, we complain...

One stupid thing I did to a lipo is after the flight, I forgot to remove the battery. It remained in the model, connected to the controller. When I went to use that model again after a couple of months of winter, the battery was slightly puffed, but completely dead. Not even the charger recognized it when I connected the thing to the charger.

Remember always to disconnect the suckers. I never saw one burn, but, just in case, mine are stored in a metal box. Of course that makes sure that if one burns, ALL burn... but that is another story...

Gerry
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: steed2

hey while were on the battery subject guys, what do you charge a nimh battery at? 1c? cause thats what i have been doing, for instance, my 1600 mah reciever packs i charge a 1.6 amps, my 3300 stick packs at 3.3 amps. Is this ok, goes to show how long i have been in the hobby, i know how to take care of lipo's but not sure what to do with nimh's or nicd's. also what do you do with nimh and nicd for storage?
Sub C cells (which are your packs) can be charged at 10a regardless of capacity. ThunderbirdJunkie used to juice his sub C race packs at 5a regardless. Unlike LiPos, the nickel cells prefer the abuse.

For Rx packs, ThunderbirdJunkie sets them at 2a, regardless of capacity.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:22 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Sub C cells (which are your packs) can be charged at 10a regardless of capacity. ThunderbirdJunkie used to juice his sub C race packs at 5a regardless. Unlike LiPos, the nickel cells prefer the abuse.

charge your nimh at 10A regardless of capacity. do you hear what youre saying? i know i know, youve done it for "years" or whatever. so then i can charge my 2200 sub C's at 10A and ill have no problems?

i really think you should stop putting in your .02
Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 PM
steed2-inactive

hey while were on the battery subject guys, what do you charge a nimh battery at? 1c? cause thats what i have been doing, for instance, my 1600 mah reciever packs i charge a 1.6 amps, my 3300 stick packs at 3.3 amps. Is this ok, goes to show how long i have been in the hobby, i know how to take care of lipo's but not sure what to do with nimh's or nicd's. also what do you do with nimh and nicd for storage?

thanks bud.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 PM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

i will sleep with a fully charged lipo under my pillow. they are not scary in the right hands, my dog chewed on one for cripe's sake, ive launched one out of my rc at 40mph, ive gotten them sopping wet, ive accidentally shorted them. no problem, I just quarrentine for a day and charge em' back up and do it all over again.

dont over-charge them, dont charge too fast or drain too quick, dont puncture them, balance them every run or every other run and everything will go swimmingly.

your phone, laptop, gps, psp, ds, camera and all that have lipo batteries.

buga buga!
most phones, gps etc use lithium ion, quite a different animal. li-ion also cannot deliver as much amperage as lipo.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 PM
steed2-inactive

heres a good read.

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/lipoly/
Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 PM
steed2-inactive

this is insane!! 300 dollars ***!!! you would think by now with the chinese packs and all max amps would try to get a little more competative with their packs. also whats with their discharge rating of true 120c??? if i do the math on these packs that means these are capable of delivering 654 amps,....ahh ....i doubt that. i must be doing something wrong . either way they are out to lunch on their pricing.

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-5450-111-EMAXX-Pair.htm
Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 PM
DaveG55

most phones, gps etc use lithium ion, quite a different animal. li-ion also cannot deliver as much amperage as lipo.
That does not make them impervious to fire. Laptop batteries, Li-Ions as well, have been facing recalls off and on since at least 2006. HP even recalled a bunch of batterys as late as May 2011.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/hp-rec...-hazards/49619
Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

i will sleep with a fully charged lipo under my pillow. they are not scary in the right hands, my dog chewed on one for cripe's sake, ive launched one out of my rc at 40mph, ive gotten them sopping wet, ive accidentally shorted them. no problem, I just quarrentine for a day and charge em' back up and do it all over again.

dont over-charge them, dont charge too fast or drain too quick, dont puncture them, balance them every run or every other run and everything will go swimmingly.

your phone, laptop, gps, psp, ds, camera and all that have lipo batteries.

buga buga!
not really, same basic principle, my netbook im on right now is Lipo not Lion,
Old 01-25-2012, 09:59 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

charge your nimh at 10A regardless of capacity. do you hear what youre saying? i know i know, youve done it for ''years'' or whatever. so then i can charge my 2200 sub C's at 10A and ill have no problems?

Haha, it's funny you said that, because tons of guys at the track did it with their NiCds and early NiMhs back in the day. ThunderbirdJunkie's BC112A would do 10a, but it seemed sketchy, so he stuck with 5a.

BTW-these were 1400, 1600, 1800 NiCds and 2400 NiMhs. So maybe you should stop putting in your horsehocky and start explaining science things to us if ThunderbirdJunkie is wrong, Bill Nye.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:31 AM
savagecommander

Oh boy....

Nicads charging process is endothermic(but you knew that) so its no surprise you're charging at high rates. Most Nicads are 20C rate discharge also. The cell won't-or shouldn't- show any heat untill it reaches almost 90% charge state, then the charge reaction isn't equal to energy applied and the cell heats up. Nimh on the other hand are exothermic, and the charge process releases about as much heat as the energy applied, and just as a rough idea, charging a cell @ 2C doubles the heat applied to the cell compared to most manufacturers reccomended fast charge rate of 1C- so for a 2400 nimh, the cell would have to dissipate about 50 watts of heat. Can you touch a 50 watt light bulb? Not only that, but too high charge rates on nimh cells usually cause false peaks. The charge process can't keep up with the applied energy- that's why most cells are 1C charge. Lipo's on the other hand are also endothermic during charge process, and the electrolyte can process the charge energy faster, which is why there are 5-15C charge rate lipo's.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM
The_Shark

ahh, stick packs, so trusty. i would get those puppies glowin red hot on some of my 8turn speed machines.

i dont think i could ever switch back again.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:33 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I've just recently had a lipo explosion. I was plugging in a lipo batttery with pre installed wires, turned it on and *smoke* POP! KA-POW! and killed my esc
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 PM
The_Shark

OUCH man, i always check polairity before using a pack, such a simple slip in the manufacture process and it can end up i heartache.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:18 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

charge your nimh at 10A regardless of capacity. do you hear what youre saying? i know i know, youve done it for ''years'' or whatever. so then i can charge my 2200 sub C's at 10A and ill have no problems?

Haha, it's funny you said that, because tons of guys at the track did it with their NiCds and early NiMhs back in the day. ThunderbirdJunkie's BC112A would do 10a, but it seemed sketchy, so he stuck with 5a.

BTW-these were 1400, 1600, 1800 NiCds and 2400 NiMhs. So maybe you should stop putting in your horsehocky and start explaining science things to us if ThunderbirdJunkie is wrong, Bill Nye.
You did just say you charge sub-c cells at 10 amps regardless... which is a pretty dumb thing to do. It's no wonder you had one explode.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM
robwiljas

ORIGINAL: proanti1

You did just say you charge sub-c cells at 10 amps regardless... which is a pretty dumb thing to do. It's no wonder you had one explode.
Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. He's always telling people how violently an NiMh will explode and that they're more dangerous than LiPo, then tells someone to charge a Sub-C at 10A regardless of capacity. It's no wonder he thinks they're dangerous.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:00 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: robwiljas

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. He's always telling people how violently an NiMh will explode and that they're more dangerous than LiPo, then tells someone to charge a Sub-C at 10A regardless of capacity. It's no wonder he thinks they're dangerous.
no no no, that was just my futile attempt to troll the almighty T-bird...there was absolutely no logic or thought in my statements. how dare you concur with me and disgrace his majesty!

but honestly, i can see charging nicads at high rates, maybe with an old school quick charger, but nimh that high above "C" is asking trouble. now, there are chargers out there that maximize the charge process by zapping the cells and monitoring the heat generated, but im pretty sure those types of chargers are all but gone now.

and i was just pondering running Nicads or Nimh in my losi 22....
Old 01-28-2012, 03:47 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Reading comprehension owns you.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:05 PM
savagecommander

Sub C cells (which are your packs) can be charged at 10a regardless of capacity.

It certainly does....
Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Can be does not mean ThunderbirdJunkie said he did it as you guys claimed.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:49 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Old 01-29-2012, 12:45 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then why did you post it?

Not only is it a horrible idea, but you have apparently never tried it. You blew one up at at a lower amperage (I am assuming), why would you think 10a is a good idea?

Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Then why did you post it?

Not only is it a horrible idea, but you have apparently never tried it. You blew one up at at a lower amperage (I am assuming), why would you think 10a is a good idea?
Again, READING COMPREHENSION OWNS YOU. ThunderbirdJunkie has never personally had a nickel sub C cell explode. Ever. He's witnessed it numerous times, and he's witnessed people charging at 10a.

So, instead of trying to prove ThunderbirdJunkie wrong about things he never said, perhaps you should concentrate harder on trying to disprove what he did say since that seems to be the MO of both you and savagecommander.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:18 PM
savagecommander

so then youre saying youll toss anything out there knowing you cant back it up? if youve never done it how do you know it even works? why would you tell someone who doesnt know to do something you dont even know either! isnt that like the blind leading the blind?

and to think you tried and tried to make me sound like i didnt know what i was talking about. i think its pretty clear now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.