Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

looking for a good nitro

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: looking for a good nitro

www.overdriverc.com generally has some of the best prices for Losi products. Send the owner an email.

EDIT - just checked. $696. Put it in your cart to see the price..

Nitro is totally doable in the winter btw(at least to a reasonable point.. Basically, if your bare hands can handle it, so can an engine..). Just need to preheat the engine and maybe wrap a sock around the head or something...
Old 01-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Rustproofcorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have tried paddle tires and skis in the snow here with no avail. the problem is where the snow is its to deep for the rusty and where the snow isnt it is way to slick. that savage 4wd?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:26 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah, but it's smaller than your Rusty, too. It's a little beast though[&:]
Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Rustproofcorn

electric do better with the cold conditions?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, yes...

I hate to admit it though, because nitro IMO is so much more exhilerating.. No offense to electric people btw.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM
angeldarklcd

I love my 1/8 buggy (Hyper 7 PCR). I don't think they make the specific kit I bought years ago, but OFNA has several similar 1/8 buggies to choose from. I could use it all year, in the cold snow and hot summers, was always very durable, and the parts are easy to find in the US. I saw some people suggest Mugens, those are pretty nice quality buggies, can't go wrong there.

I hope you find something you like. I honestly prefer a buggy or truggy for track racing, monster trucks weren't as fun.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 PM
elmer84

check out Caster Racing..... they have a great 1/8th lineup
www.casterracingusa.com
Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Rustproofcorn

Is all there stuff electric?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Rustproofcorn

whoops reposted below.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Rustproofcorn

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Rustproofcorn

i have spent what seems to be 100 hours on the new rustler i got at xmas. i have replaced about everysuspensionpart on it as well as some other little goodies just to spent 20 hours a week to watch it go putt in the snow. this is what i am trying to avoid. i am loving driving the rc dont get me wrong but it sucks in the snow which is why i was looking atsomething4wd for one and to kill another bird with the same stone something i can run in the races here in the summer. i am loving both aspects of the rc world both the wrenching and driving since xmas i joined my local hobbyenthusiastsat an indoor track where i race my 2 brand new team associates minis (i have a truggy and a sc 1/8th scale). i used to have fun tinkering with rc back in the early 90's and have recently moved back to alaska where it is nice to work my cars indoors.
maybe i am wrong at going with a nitro for winter use but i just wanted to be able to run the races this summer.
Honestly, get some Slingshots and mohawks or whatever they're called for your Rusty for the snow, and don't bash your race car. Maybe a Savage XS with paddles would be a more suitable play car and keep the whatever else you get nitro car for just racing? An 8ight 2.0 RTR + a Savage XS =right at a grand

Ding Ding Ding! and we have a winner. i have ordered the savage online at towerhobbies and i ordered the losi 8ight t 2.0 from a local hobby shop (for only 755 no tax or shipping) thanks for all the input. cant wait to get this savage. anyone know what paddle tires i should get? will this thing fit 1/10 scale tires?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Yep. ThunderbirdJunkie's got Panther 2.2" paddles and HPI 2.2" Sand Throwers on his XS on 2.2" RPM Revolvers.

Granted, he swapped the electronics with a Futaba Rx and Tekin ESC and a JR servo before the snow flew...now the electronics are not waterproof so he probably won't find out how it works in the snow[&:]
Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Rustproofcorn

Yep. ThunderbirdJunkie's got Panther 2.2" paddles and HPI 2.2" Sand Throwers on his XS on 2.2" RPM Revolvers.

Granted, he swapped the electronics with a Futaba Rx and Tekin ESC and a JR servo before the snow flew...now the electronics are not waterproof so he probably won't find out how it works in the snow[&:]
seems the sand throwers are on back order would these
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUM93&P=0

good for the front?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Rustproofcorn

bah never mind those have rims i dont want ones with rims.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:20 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The Mashers don't come with wheels. The Mashers are cool tires, but just a bit big for the Savage XS.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Rustproofcorn

so just because it says 2.2 doesnt mean they will fit? how do i tell if  a tire will fit the savage?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Rustproofcorn

http://www.rcplanet.com/SearchResult...&Submit=Search

now i am looking at these bad boys
Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 AM
djyjrlz

all 2.2 will fit, but its just a matter of looking at the sidewall, the hpi sand throwers minced the snow when they were on my firestorm. good snow/sand tire
Old 01-25-2012, 10:50 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

so just because it says 2.2 doesnt mean they will fit? how do i tell if a tire will fit the savage?
Oh it'll fit just fine on the wheel...but they're REALLY tall.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seriously the losi isnt much better than a $300 ofna, i had the chance to drive one on the track, it was good but not $800 worth.

if you really stand back and look at the big picture, what makes a good handling rig, is the tires, the shocks, sway bars and proper allignment. thats about it, most geomotry can be changed around and even a lowly car can proform very well.

being that this is your first nitro i would just start with a $300 ofna, get a losi bump box, upgrade the servo's, shocks and radio and have at it, if you decide this is for you, then you can get a good used roller and transfer the motor and electronics. just get some cheap but good hitec, high torque digital servos at $25 a pop, quick enough to learn and durable to boot.

at first start with a fly sky system, at $35 for 2.4ghz and all the adjustments you ever want, its a great deal, again if you really love racing, you can upgrade, $35 isnt going to break you.

i could make a real formible car for half of a $1500 budget, heck my 9.5 though dated, has all the goodies the high end kits have, and its tough as nails, sure its not as light, but it makes up for it by flattening the bumps, and its durability. i made that thing with $500 and it is fully loaded.

you are new no matter how good the rig, you will not be able to use it to its full ability for quite a while.

no need for someone to go ballistic on my opinion, ive heard it all before, and after much thought, my opinion is valid.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Rustproofcorn

my biggest problem with buy the ofna (because i was thinking about it) is actually because of my inexperiance. i was really getting confused on what to buy to upgrade it i.e. what fits ect. where the losi comes a little higher end without the need to upgrade right away. that was my thinking on it. now if someone wants to waste there time with me so i can buy a ofna and sup it up with proper parts so i can atleast compete this summer i am all for it but i hate wasting people time. just for reference i have already bought the savage. except for the tires and lipo but have not bought a 1/8 scale yet.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Rustproofcorn

hey thunderbird what lipo are you running in your savage? the hpi website recommends a 2s 5300 but geeze its over a 100 by itself. any solutions for a cheaper amount. i have some 2s 1800 but i am assuming those wont work.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

hey thunderbird what lipo are you running in your savage? the hpi website recommends a 2s 5300 but geeze its over a 100 by itself. any solutions for a cheaper amount. i have some 2s 1800 but i am assuming those wont work.
ThunderbirdJunkie thinks you can get away easily with a 5000/40C battery. One of the Gens Ace ones from Hobbypartz will do just fine in this truck, just get the one that's hardwired, not the one with the bullet plugs.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Rustproofcorn

ThunderbirdJunkie thinks you can get away easily with a 5000/40C battery. One of the Gens Ace ones from Hobbypartz will do just fine in this truck, just get the one that's hardwired, not the one with the bullet plugs.
my hell i look ignorate around here. when you say hardwired is that the direct version? they only have 2 one is out of stock the direct version is in stock. sheesh someday maybe i can not be the newb.

*edit* i figured out which one i needed. thanks.

but out of curiosity would this 60c battery work? the dimmentions look like they would fit but i dont know if 60c is to high http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXASUA&P=EP
Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Rustproofcorn

can anyone help me with my above question? just need to know before i click the order button
Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Rustproofcorn

I'm all good I have everything coming I'm ordering for the savage. Everything should be here the 31rst.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.