Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Searching for a ~$450 basher (truggy or MT)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Searching for a ~$450 basher (truggy or MT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:49 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Searching for a ~$450 basher (truggy or MT)

ORIGINAL: 1ne8ighty2wo

PLEASE, stop with the truggy vs MT. I've seen both sides and they both have their ups and their downs. It's all about what the person wants. I don't care if you're ''just stating your opinion,'' I started this thread because the opinions had been stated and fought over in the last one and that ran it's course. I'm pretty sure all the big points of each class have been put on the table at this point so it's time to just let it go and agree to disagree. thanks.

fair enough my friend ! good luck with whatever you purchase...... please report back in the future so we can see how things went for you ! much of the time people come here for advice, but never report back how things went for them...kinda takes some of the fun out of it ya know ! As much as we all disagree, nobody is wrong in what they prefer....cheers !
Old 01-27-2012, 06:50 PM
1ne8ighty2wo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: supertib

fair enough my friend ! good luck with whatever you purchase...... please report back in the future so we can see how things went for you ! much of the time people come here for advice, but never report back how things went for them...kinda takes some of the fun out of it ya know ! As much as we all disagree, nobody is wrong in what they prefer....cheers !
Thank you man! Will do!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:52 PM
SLAYERDUDE

PLEASE, stop with the truggy vs MT. I've seen both sides and they both have their ups and their downs. It's all about what the person wants. I don't care if you're ''just stating your opinion,'' I started this thread because the opinions had been stated and fought over in the last one and that ran it's course. I'm pretty sure all the big points of each class have been put on the table at this point so it's time to just let it go and agree to disagree. thanks.
Sorry 1ne8, I was posting while you were posting, so I submitted what I was typing before you posted.

Welcome to RCU, you have what... 4 posts in your own 4 page thread.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 PM
steed2-inactive

i own both the aftershock and a savage x. if its between the two i would definately go for the savage. An lst2 or the aftershock with the lst2 upgrade would be more on par with the savage x. The savage x also comes with a more powerful engine, and the f 4.6 is a very user friendly mill. Just peruse the websites and look at all the options that both vehicles have, but in my opinion i would either grab the savage x or spend the extra and grab a losi xxl. really and truly at the end of the day it doesnt really matter what you buy, you will be happy, you will modify it, and you will hopefully continue with this hobby. (minus all of our arguing)
Old 01-27-2012, 07:34 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As asked above, I'm looking for a basher, not a racer.

So I did some research and for MTs what I'm looking at is either the Savage X 4.6 or the Losi Aftershock. They seem to be pretty much equal in durability (based on some people saying they've had bad experiences with one and not the other, other people saying the exact opposite).

Here's what I've gathered about how the two stack up for me:
AFTERSHOCK
+handles better
+easier to work on
+cheaper
-would benefit from an upgraded pipe right out of the box (at least, according to posts from a couple years ago. is this still true of has the aftershock been updated since? that pipe would put it pretty much equal in price to the Savage, though)

SAVAGE X 4.6
+parts locally at LHS (this isn't too big of a point though, because it seems that with either truck I won't be needing too many replacement parts. but still...)
+huge availability of aftermarket parts due to it being so well know

BTW, I'm still not set on an MT, but this is just what I'm looking at if I do decide to get one.
I can only speak for the Savage in this case. Great truck, great parts support (even though I haven't needed it), exceptional customer support, and great after market support (again haven't needed the after market stuff either).
Old 01-27-2012, 08:00 PM
SavageRevo
My Feedback: (-1)

I second the Kyosho... I own one along with many others and I love it and find myself driving it the most of all my trucks.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, I would have to admit probably to being biased towards Losi, because of how good my LST2's have been. But honestly, I'm a bit dubious of the Aftershock, which IMO needs some upgrades(pipe, RPM arms probably, bearing in the 2-speed instead of the bushing it comes with, and I don't like 14mm hexes..) The XXL is much much beefier - and IMO worth it..

But from those two choices, I would say get the Savage. All good right out of the box for what you're looking to do...

( But the XXL is better!!!.... Ha Ha.. - just kidding Savage people!!!..)
Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

I'm thinking that I would only get the aftershock if I can get a deal on a used one so I'd have money to make the needed upgrades. Otherwise ill pick up a savage, used if I can find a nice one, if not then new.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you ought to go new for your first RC.. Just my opinion.. Nice to unbox it, and have it all to yourself.. Trust me.., this hobby is addictive.., so maybe try something used fir your second RC..
Old 01-27-2012, 11:26 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

Well it won't be my first rc. I had an exceed 4 years ago, then sold that and bought a firestorm, then sold that 2 years ago. So I'm not totally new, just getting back in the mix.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I have zero personal experience with the Savage, but I do have experience with the Losi Aftershock and LST2. For what I did with it, the Aftershock served me well. Oddly enough, I broke more parts on the LST2 than on the Aftershock. I think I ran about 1 gallon through the Aftershock before converting it to LST2 spec stuff, but I had no problems with it out of the box. The stuck AFT muffler does suck, so an HT pipe cured the hot running M26SS. I thought the M26SS engine was plenty powerful enough to pull wheelies and get the AFT up to 40mph and I had very little reliability problems with it.

Good luck on your quest and do let us know what you decide to get..
Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

Here's an update for those of you asking to report back once I made a decision.

I found a deal on here for a Savage 21 with new-ish engine (12 tanks according to seller, 6 break in 6 running), 2.4 ghz radio, upgraded chassis and air filter, and a bag full of extra parts (shocks, arms, pipe, hubs, 2 extra wheels) for 2 and a quarter. I just opened it up tonight and it looks pretty good to me.

I've noticed so far that I need an arm for the brake linkage that's snapped and a charger for the roto start. From looking at pictures online, it looks like the roto start rod is missing an o-ring... would that explain why the rod doesn't stay in the handle very well?

Also, a couple of questions:
-It came with a hump pack, and is the plug that's in the side of the battery box for charging the pack without having to take anything out? Or is that for something else?
-Is that the correct way to put the antenna for a 2.4 system? (I've only had am/fm before) Does it even need to stick out at all?
-It came with about a third of a tank of gas in the tank, but I pulled out the line from the carb and it seemed dry. Should I be concerned or is it probably fine?

I plan to do a teardown over the next week to check if there's anything wrong that I haven't noticed and to locktite it all. In the meantime I'll have to figure out how to work the radio, seeing as that only button I know on it is the power button [X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wu60583.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	1729869   Click image for larger version

Name:	yt62113.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	1729870   Click image for larger version

Name:	bg92077.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	3.49 MB