Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

My college project...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 AM
EnglishSamuraii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My college project...

Hi guys,

Im currently desgning a R/C car stand at college, and i was wondering what you guys thought of it? i need to mkae a presentation on it, and include what other people think of it, so if you guys would give me your opinion it would be greatly appreciated. I am only going to use for MY own use, I am NOT going to, nor do I want to sell it.
By the way, the 'sticky' out bit is a tool tray made of rubber. And the strip on the back is magnetic to help prevent nuts and screws being lost.
Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50062.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1722379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24789.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1722380  
Old 02-02-2012, 05:50 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: My college project...

Looks very well thought out. Is the height adjustable?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks interesting
as well as is the height adjustable question like The Mad Modder asked, I would like to ask would it swivel left and right?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very delicate and nice design, definitely something i would consider buying if i saw it in a shop. That is, if it is -as the other asks above- height adjustable and if it can be turned both ways. I think the little magnetic strip on the side would fill its purpose better if it was covering parts or full covering the top of the base plate. But a nice idea as it is to stop small things continue their always wild rides towards the floor that swallows everything
Old 02-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I think it is artistically pretty but sacrifices usability.

IMO:

Why is the stand round? I have never seen a round RC chassis before.

I think there should be a parts trough to put loose screws and nuts.

I feel that the space under the stand is under utilized for the sake of form and serves no practical purpose.

Height adjustable and swiveling platform would be necessities.

The stand is so close to the base that I won't be able to get a tool in between. I feel like the base should be as unobtrusive as possible for the best possible access.

It would be an bonus to add cutouts for shocks. Something that stands the shocks up when they are being rebuilt.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM
FahrtAutoRC

+1000 EXCEPT for the part about its shape, I actually like the oval shape, adds some direction to things. Circles are boring and rectangles and the ilk are for squares.

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

I think it is artistically pretty but sacrifices usability.

IMO:

I think there should be a parts trough to put loose screws and nuts.

I feel that the space under the stand is under utilized for the sake of form and serves no practical purpose.

Height adjustable and swiveling platform would be necessities.

The stand is so close to the base that I won't be able to get a tool in between. I feel like the base should be as unobtrusive as possible for the best possible access.

It would be an bonus to add cutouts for shocks. Something that stands the shocks up when they are being rebuilt.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:49 PM
DaveG55

Well, it is pretty...
But, IMO, not very functional.
There is no way to hold the car, no clamps, brackets or adjustments of any kind. It looks too short for the vehicle to even sit on the stand if the wheels are on - unless it's vehicle specific that is. The space underneath would be better utilized if it had a drawer instead of a tiny pull out tray It would be nice if there were some way to turn the vehicle to different angles, rotate and pivot it as well. There is no way to hold the vehicle steady if it were upside down to work on the bottom and nothing to keep it from moveing around even if it's right side up.
As a display stand, I like it, like it a lot. As a functional working stand it does nothing a short piece of 2x4 doesn't do.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:41 PM
EnglishSamuraii

I forgot to mention. The 'black' bit on the top is made of anti slip neo prene. The top also spins around on a spindle, and the pins will lock it in place, there are 8 holes in the base to choose from. The tool tray has a lip all the way round to stop parts from rolling away, it is also made from rubber. There are 4 rubber feet on the bottom to help stop slipping. And no it is not height adjustable at the mo.

Keep your opinions coming in please

many thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 05:32 AM
The Mad Modder

Depends on what class of RC he's looking to use it for. Sedans, buggies, and stadium trucks generally have flat bottoms and should have no problem with the round top. I see only crawlers and some monster trucks having a problem with it.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 AM
EnglishSamuraii

I have a stadium truck. And it will fit onto it. I'm keeping it that shape as I like it
Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking into producing this? You may want to find an extrusion that is already bring manufactured, it will bring production cost down.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:41 AM
EnglishSamuraii

I am making it at college for my own use, im not going to sell it or mass produce it. i just want other peoples thoughts to in to my presentation

Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Dale Gribble

It looks like a gutted out postal scale.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:09 PM
EnglishSamuraii

Look im 16. I've made it for my own use, I've asked for your opinion and okay I get it you don't like it so please stop carping on about how bad you think it is. I started Rc cars in Dec 2011 so im inexperienced you however are a moderator and should know better then to be quite nasty about something that took me about 5 hours to design. Thank you everyone else for there comments. They are appreciated.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally like the looks of the design, simple, minimal. Conversely, yea there's a bunch of wasted space underneath (drawer maybe?) and functionality could be increased by integrating holders for tools, shocks etc. Doing so might impact the overall look and feel of the design though. I like the magnetic strip idea to catch screws as they fall and think it would be a good idea to line the tray as well. You can keep the lip on the tray small and still have the screws stay put with a thin magnet lining the bottom. Pretty cool class, design something, gauge reaction, submit report, just like corporate product planning.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM
EnglishSamuraii

Thank you for the feed back, I personally agree, if I fill the space i dont think it would look as good. Im currently working working on how I could make the stand height adjustable. I will hopefully have come up with an 'improved' design sometime next week.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: EnglishSamuraii

Look im 16. I've made it for my own use, I've asked for your opinion and okay I get it you don't like it so please stop carping on about how bad you think it is. I started Rc cars in Dec 2011 so im inexperienced you however are a moderator and should know better then to be quite nasty about something that took me about 5 hours to design. Thank you everyone else for there comments. They are appreciated.
Look, I am not a part of this politically correct everybody can do anything and everybody is perfect world. Some stranger, of whom I have no idea of their background or experience, solicited a concept for feedback on an RC car stand. I was trying to give constructive criticism. I have worked with industrial engineers exclusively for many years and have been an engineer myself for over 12 years. I have pushed a bunch of new technologies to market. I don't like things that sacrifice functionality for appearance.

I wasn't considering your age and to your credit I thought you were a college age kid. My comments were not unkind and they were not nasty towards you. I will refrain beyond this point to reply further.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:04 PM
EnglishSamuraii

Okay fair enough. I just thought it was a bit harsh how you worded your second post that was all. I don't mind constructive criticism however I thought it was a bit more than that
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 AM
The Mad Modder

I wasn't considering your age and to your credit I thought you were a college age kid. My comments were not unkind and they were not nasty towards you. I will refrain beyond this point to reply further.

It looks like a gutted out postal scale.
IMHO, if I put the time and effort into designing and building something like this, I'd be insulted at this lower comment as well. That comment is in no way, shape, or form constructive criticism; it's just a pass at his designing skills because he didn't want to follow your previous advise in post #5.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 AM
EnglishSamuraii

Thank you mad modder. That's exactly what I thought it is in no way constructive criticism. 
Old 02-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Rustproofcorn

But have you ever seen a postal scale? Seems to me Dale pointing out the simularity is constructive because it DOES look like a gutted out postal scale to try and make it look "pretty" taking functional ability away from what could be a good stand. I mean really to ask for feed back then to just get whiny about it? this really does show the ops age. But for people to stick up for his crying is crazy to me. I mean he even says he spent a whole 5 hours on this project. I have more time on my weekend dumps than he has spent on this stand. Whew really get some thicker skin. 

Anyhow +1 on a tray for screws. What scale rc are you making this for?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 PM
EnglishSamuraii

So what would you put in the middle? I'm not paticularly bothered by dales comments, it just annoyed me how he said 'he tried to be constructive' when he simply said 'it looks like a gutted postal scale'. If you can explain to me how this is constructive please explain to me how it is?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could always add in a scale like this place did

J/k after dale said it I saw the similarity, and was just poking fun
Old 02-04-2012, 01:10 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Instead of playing "Attack the mod" and getting your feelings hurt over a simple comment, why not take some of the more constructive criticism offered and continue on with you project? If you want sunshines and rainbows, that is fine, go to Perez Hilton's webpage. This is the internet. Your best defense is a thick hide. I personally think this setup looks startlingly similar to the stand that OFNA offers, and the only complaints Ive heard about it is a lack of tool trays and no pin to STOP it from rotating when you dont want it to move.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Rustproofcorn

Troughs on both sides, ratchet style raising and lowering. It would be awesome if you could lean the stand towards or away from you. Like one post said right now your design isn't anything you couldn't do with a 2x4. I use a dewalt drill bit holder as a Stand and it actually works pretty well it has rubber on the outside of non slip and if I move the lock function to unlock then close it the car can lean towards me which is very handy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.