Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Touring Car Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM
WRXGuy64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring Car Questions

Hi All,

I am in the market for a touring car. I am looking for a good, relatively inexpensive, reliable touring car. I've watched videos compairing shaft drive vs belt, and would like to go with a shaft drive car. I plan to have fun with some of my buddies in a parking lot. If possible, I'd like one that is upgradable. I like the HPI E10, and but caster and camber aren't adjustable. I looked at the Associated TC4, but it's a little more than I would lke to spend. The E10 is in my price range, but I don't know much about that car. Is it reliable? Is it upgradeable? By that I mean, can I eventually make the caster and camber adjustable? Can I add better shocks?

Please forgive me if these question has been asked before.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Touring Car Questions

dont rule out the ofna touring cars, you will have to buy the electronics but they seem like good cars and pretty affordible.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the e10 is a terrible car, hpi doesn't recommend you upgrade the motor at all. The Tamiya TT01 is quite cheap and is wayyyyy better than the e10. The TC4 is worth the money and is a great car.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

the e10 is a terrible car, hpi doesn't recommend you upgrade the motor at all. The Tamiya TT01 is quite cheap and is wayyyyy better than the e10. The TC4 is worth the money and is a great car.
Literally when I had an issue with the buggy one HPI sent me an e-mail saying that the E10, and EB10(Brama10b) were NEVER meant to be upgraded, and meant strictly as base line entry vehicles

As you said the TT01e is a way better RC for a hell of a lot less that can be modified to high hell due to the huge after market following of it.

Cheapest setup http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAUND&P=ML $114
http://www.hobbypartz.com/fsgrco.html $40 (way better than what comes with the E10)
http://www.hobbypartz.com/ub2liin.html $6.80 (just make sure you cut the red wire on the plug that goes to the ESC or the radio wil fry the TEU's put out too much voltage for RX's which is why this is needed)
So far $180
you will need a battery and charger still
Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 PM
WRXGuy64

Thanks for all the replies! I am not a first time RC'er, my bad for not stating that upfront. I have a Losi monster truck, an RC10L, converted into a drag car, and a nitro touring car. I have a Spektrum radio that can store 20 cars, and batteries out the waazoo. I am looking for a relatively inexpensive touring car so my wife doesn't kill me for spending too much on the hobby. LOL

A kit would be best for me. I have a few motors and three ESC's, both brushed and brushless, that would work in anything I get. I enjoy putting these things together, so a kit doesn't scare me. A good, upgradeable, inexpensive kit would work best. By upgradeable I mean, upgrade to oil filled shocks eventually, as well as make it so caster and camber are adjustable. The TT 01e comes with non adjustable caster and camber but if it could be upgraded to be able to do it, it will be the kit for me. If not, I'll bite the bullet and buy a TC4. 

Old 02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
WRXGuy64

Thanks for all the replies! I am not a first time RC'er, my bad for not stating that upfront. I have a Losi monster truck, an RC10L, converted into a drag car, and a nitro touring car. I have a Spektrum radio that can store 20 cars, and batteries out the waazoo. I am looking for a relatively inexpensive touring car so my wife doesn't kill me for spending too much on the hobby. LOL

A kit would be best for me. I have a few motors and three ESC's, both brushed and brushless, that would work in anything I get. I enjoy putting these things together, so a kit doesn't scare me. A good, upgradeable, inexpensive kit would work best. By upgradeable I mean, upgrade to oil filled shocks eventually, as well as make it so caster and camber are adjustable. The TT 01e comes with non adjustable caster and camber but if it could be upgraded to be able to do it, it will be the kit for me. If not, I'll bite the bullet and buy a TC4.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Nitro Racer 18

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

Cheapest setup http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAUND&P=ML $114
Thefunny part is thatthe cheapest TC setup has a truck body.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:32 PM
WRXGuy64

I Like the Cusco Subaru kit, but would like to know what exactly is upgradeable on the TT 01e before I get one.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

adjustable front wishbones http://www.clevelandmodels.co.uk/sho...ront-wishbones (might have other places with them I just did a quick google search)
Adjustable camber http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/tt...on-p-3033.html (again might have another place with them quick google search)
as for shocks I use HPI Nitro RS4 shocks on mine (had em laying around)

http://thetoyz.com/tamiya/tt01/1080/ pile of hop-ups for it with some of the lowest prices I found

you can also put CVD's with steel outdrives, steel gears (modify a DF-02 crown gear slightly) and a bunch more like I run HPI RS4 front body mount posts so it can fit more bodies (I found the tamiyas mounts were usually ending up in the grills on HPI bodies)
Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 PM
WRXGuy64

Ok, I'm sold! I am getting the Cusco Subaru kit. I'll enjoy it for a bit, and upgrade a little at a time. I'll bookmark the links you posted for reference later, thanks!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:20 AM
WRXGuy64

If I may, what is the most difficult thing with putting the TT 01e kit together? I've always bought ready to run vehicles, so building a kit is new to me. I want to build a kit because it will give me a better understanding of how the car operates, just wondering what part of the assembly will make me go...DOH!. LOL
Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

trying to keep the screws straight.
its broken up into bags, same with the screws which are called for in steps.
Think I spent around an hour and a half putting mine together, but most that time was finding a screw I dropped.

Outside that probably the diffs putting them together the 1st time is kinda hard seeing the screw is small(and the one I spent like 45 mins looking for) and it its hard to get it in the 1st time.