Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

My 2 cents about Traxxas...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2 cents about Traxxas...

So, I must put this out there. It's my opinion, and I believe everyone is entitled to at least an opinion, whether you agree or not. All I ask, is that you read and comment if you like, but please do not hate. No need for that, it's not helping anyone. So why's everyone all up on Traxxas about re-releasing chassis's (especially their 1/16 lineup) with some differences. Look, its not that big of deal. First of all, stop hating because no one is forcing anyone to buy it. If you no like, you no buy (in simple language for those who don't seem to understand). My point is, they are a company, meant to make someone a whole lot of money, and by re-releasing the same chassis's over and over in different vehicles, they can save money for themselves, ultimately making themselves more money. Look, I wish they would release something new too, but geez, get over it. Bottom line is that they are a company, meant to make a profit, and by incorporating the same chassis's into different vehicles they are making as much dough for their effort as possible. Like it or not, Traxxas is out to make money, and in my opinion (remember that part where I said everyone was entitled to their own opinion?) they are doing a damn good job of that. That's what I wanted to get across. Feel free to disagree or agree or whatever for all I care, but just do not make this a Traxxas haters hangout thread.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My 2 cents about Traxxas...

There is no doubt that Traxxas has a great business model. I just believe their products are inferior and over priced. I also agree that a company is in business to make money and they have every right to do as they wish in achieving that goal within the limits of the law. the problem I have with traxxas is they are over hyped and over priced. hobby shops use there marketing campain very effectly too. they sell an inferior products that will need lots of replacement parts to people who are new to the hobby and don't know any better. But it works. More power to them. it is legal. Those who are more experienced will try to caution newbies in an attemtp to help make their first RC experience a good one! That is my opinion! But Traxxas has probably been the most susescful RC cmpany due to their business model and the fact that they rely on newbies to the hobby.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: yakfish

There is no doubt that Traxxas has a great business model. I just believe their products are inferior and over priced. I also agree that a company is in business to make money and they have every right to do as they wish in achieving that goal within the limits of the law. the problem I have with traxxas is they are over hyped and over priced. hobby shops use there marketing campain very effectly too. they sell an inferior products that will need lots of replacement parts to people who are new to the hobby and don't know any better. But it works. More power to them. it is legal. Those who are more experienced will try to caution newbies in an attemp to help make their first RC experience a good one! That is my opinion! But Traxxas has probably been the most susescfull RC cmpany due to their business model and the fact that they rely on newbie to the hobby.
i agree to every word of that.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing wrong about using the same chassis and slappin a new name on it and calling it new, alot of people do this especially tamiya. i will say traxxas is charging almost 1/3 too much for thier cars, and really i feel they are worth half of what they cost.

they thrive from ignorance.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

How else are the supposed to get enough money for all of those huge racing sponsorships they are providing?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

How else are the supposed to get enough money for all of those huge racing sponsorships they are providing?
yeah, i saw a t-maxx monster truck..... a real one.

again, thriving off ingnorant people, not their problem, as long as people buy them at rediculous prices they will keep charging more and more.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Im not against re-using a platform, especially if its a good one. I think traxxas makes some awesome stuff. My Jato is one of the most fun r/c's i have ever owned. Its just fun to drive and pretty reliable. However, they also have some models that have too many weak spots, but that is with most any company.

The 2wd Stampede (rustler/bandit too) is an oooold design. But with a few updated like the strong VXL transmission and bearings, its amazing how well it competes with its competition, and the best part is that parts are dirt cheap, its easy to fix, and its ultra reliable. An old, simple design that just works.

Im not a traxxas fanboy, but im not a hater either. I think almost every company has something good to offer.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Well, Traxxas got me into the hobby. I had a huge learning curve because my hobby shop sucked and no one else ran nitro at the time. I have no complaints about their models. Do I think a 20 page ad spread in RCCA may is a bit much? Yes. Does their marketing work? Yes. Like Ford and Chevy, people will still buy the stuff at their crazy pricing because an items value is what someone is willing pay. Only when people quit buying a given product will they drop the price or discontinue the model and make something new.

I have a N.Rusty and a Jato and I'll never get rid of them. (or any of my RC's for that matter). My rusty (though not my original) is my baby. It just never gets old.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
DaveG55

Not to mention all the free replacement parts they give away. They are one of the best about replacing just about anything that fails. Call them like a reasonable human being and you are likely to get the part you need for free. I cannot count the number of times I've seen posts about people getting the same replacement part 2, 3 or even 4 times and the problem end up being user error.

Lots of companies reuse a basic, tried & true platform for "new" stuff. It's not limited to RC, 1:1 auto companies do it all the time as do many, many other companies. It just makes economic sense.

One thing I will throw out there though... IMO, Traxxas single handedly started one of the most popular RC catagories ever when they made and marketed the T-Maxx like they did. In some ways I believe that they have been one of the biggest engines for growth, expansion and technical advancement that the hobby has ever seen.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But Traxxas has probably been the most susescful RC cmpany due to their business model and the fact that they rely on newbies to the hobby.
Maybe it's the other way around? Perhaps it's the Newbie's who rely on Traxxas. After all, one would think Newbies may break more parts, and if so many Traxxas vehicles use parts-in-common, then the Newbie is likely to find the parts he wants at his LHS.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
savagecommander

if it works, why change it? since i switched to rpm arms i never break anymore, and putting the stampede chassis on my 4x4 put me in the same bracket as the "real" racers.... traxxas has my vote.

i never bought any of my traxxas new, BTW.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 AM
The Mad Modder

IMHO traxxas took their chassis re-using a step too far when all of their electric onroad vehicles are based on slightly modified offroad trucks. They aren't cheap, either. For what they charge for them(especially the X0-1), a purpose built onroad chassis is not too much to expect.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

The X0-1 is a ripoff IMO. Id far rather have an Ofna GTP2E:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

Seriously, its $210. Paint the body, put $400 worth of electronics in it and you have a car as fast as the X0-1 that handles better and is much stronger built for $600. Thats about half price.

Its all traxxas' marketing though. People see 100mph advertised with some flashy graphics and I-Phone compatibility and their eyes light up.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Dale Gribble

I should state that Traxxas is 100% awesome. I have their products (2 E-Maxxes, Summit, Slash). Their Maxx truck got me back into the hobby in 2003 and for the most part I love their stuff. If anything, they give the hobby SUPER exposure, they are great at marketing, their distribution is strong and they give the hobby a great face. Traxxas has probably inspired other companies to get into the RC hobby and given a lot of machinists and smaller companies a market to sell third party parts into. A lot of these parts are American made too. Nobody can debate that they haven't been an integral part of growing our hobby to what it is.

They revolutionized the RC Monster Truck (Maxx) and they singlehandedly introduced one of the MOST popular classes in the country today (Short Course).

Traxxas gets a bum rap sometimes because they are entry level vehicles and are a lot of people's first step into the hobby. Johnny Dipwad goes and buys an RC car and breaks it because he doesn't know what he is doing and doesn't care to learn. He wants INSTANT gratification. He wants to be a pro driver and have the best time of his life within the first five minutes of having the truck out of the box. Heaven forbid that he has to work at it a little bit or that he breaks a part driving into a mailbox at 35MPH.

I was one of those guys and I complained about my Maxx when I first got it. I got over the learning curve and I moved on and I have been in the hobby for 10+ years as a result.

Long live Traxxas.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM
The Mad Modder

I should state that Traxxas is 100% awesome. I have their products (2 E-Maxxes, Summit, Slash). Their Maxx truck got me back into the hobby in 2003 and for the most part I love their stuff. If anything, they give the hobby SUPER exposure, they are great at marketing, their distribution is strong and they give the hobby a great face. Traxxas has probably inspired other companies to get into the RC hobby and given a lot of machinists and smaller companies a market to sell third party parts into. A lot of these parts are American made too. Nobody can debate that they haven't been an integral part of growing our hobby to what it is.

They revolutionized the RC Monster Truck (Maxx) and they singlehandedly introduced one of the MOST popular classes in the country today (Short Course).

Traxxas gets a bum rap sometimes because they are entry level vehicles and are a lot of people's first step into the hobby. Johnny Dipwad goes and buys an RC car and breaks it because he doesn't know what he is doing and doesn't care to learn. He wants INSTANT gratification. He wants to be a pro driver and have the best time of his life within the first five minutes of having the truck out of the box. Heaven forbid that he has to work at it a little bit or that he breaks a part driving into a mailbox at 35MPH.

I was one of those guys and I complained about my Maxx when I first got it. I got over the learning curve and I moved on and I have been in the hobby for 10+ years as a result.

Long live Traxxas.
What comment(s) is this directed at? I don't see any posts that claimed traxxas has poor quality. The previous two posts refer to their use of offroad truck chassis for onroad vehicles and their high prices.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Dale Gribble

I gave an opinion on a forum on how I feel about Traxxas. It wasn't a rebuttal to anything.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM
The_Shark

i will say my 1999 t-maxx is sweet, yeah the savage is tougher bigger and stronger but there is something about the Maxx's clumsy, heavy footed behavior that gives it a genuine moster truck feel, i have only busted a knuckle and bulkhead, after replacing the arms with RPM BEFORE they broke.

who needs a high proformance monster truck? its meant to wheelie, tip and tumble thats what makes it fun, daring to take turns in second gear and watching half the truck go on one side and trying to maintain it, FUN, i can drive ANY RC truck now because of its behavior.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 PM
dacaur

I just believe their products are inferior and over priced.
I guess that depends on your definition of inferior..... if you are like 5-10% of the people in the hobby and demand superior handling no matter the cost in durability, then yea, traxxas is inferior. The rest of us however appreciate the fact that traxxas stuff is TOUGH and can take our abuse....
Sure team losi stuff will beat traxxas stuff given equal drivers, but crash both trucks on the last lap, and the traxxas is going to finish the race more often than the losi.....
Yea, I know, dont crash, well, I crash, and my kids crash, and traxxas stuff just plain holds up to crashing.... which honestly is what the vast majority of hobbyists want.... most people dont want to spend 5-50 dollars every time they crash, and most of the ones that do fly heli's

Traxxas is one of the best things to happen to this hobby, ever... lets see.... the t-maxx started the monster truck craze, the slash started the short course truck craze, and their mini e-revo perfected the small scale craze, IMO.... so... Go traxxas....
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 PM
The_Shark

traxxas may be tough but its nothing like OFNA

the T-maxx is tough with rpm arms but it has issues with the bulkheads, and im too cheap for aluminum. one nice thing with a picco racing .15 in a t-maxx is it sips gas, has plenty of pep to do wheelies and wont chew up the drive train, i ROMP on it and all i can bust is spurs. no point in big blocks in these, they arent THAT much stronger, i know first hand.

i ported that engine a gallon ago and its still going fine, even after a full throttle field run for a whole tank!