Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Teach the children?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 AM
porterdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teach the children?

I want to share this hobby with my 4 year old son; I was wondering if anyone can offer advice on teaching car control to someone so young. At 4, his control inputs are various combinations of "full scale" across all channels ( that's my boy )

If it matters, we have a brushed 2WD Slash and a brushless Rustler. Both radios are programmable, and I've set the throttle EPA in his profiles low to keep the speeds down. I like for him to drive the Slash mostly becuase it's so well protected. Predictably, he likes the Rustler better.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 AM
tommygun32

Default RE: Teach the children?

Set up a simple course that can be altered, changed and tell him the goal is NOT to touch the barriers. If he accomplishes that, give him a little reward and another goal.

You can easily set the transmitter up so that the car won't go so fast. Start him slow, then increase the speed settings gradually. Then change the 'course' as he gets better.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 AM
thehuntingterminator

Default RE: Teach the children?

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Set up a simple course that can be altered, changed and tell him the goal is NOT to touch the barriers. If he accomplishes that, give him a little reward and another goal.

You can easily set the transmitter up so that the car won't go so fast. Start him slow, then increase the speed settings gradually. Then change the 'course' as he gets better.

Good luck and have fun.
agreed. the best way for him to learn to drive is to drive on a track (homemade or not). tell him if he can drive controllably through the course a couple times you will increase the power (through the throttle EPA). everytime he will get a little better until eventually he can do it with the throttle EPA at 100% since he will have enough control. just remember, he's young, so this may take a while. my bro's almost 9 and he is actually a pretty dang good driver. don't sweat it if he's not the most controlled driver, it will come with age. good luck, and glad to see you are passing down the hobby to the next generation.