Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Spare nitro motor, what to do with it?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Spare nitro motor, what to do with it?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 PM
prsabordo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare nitro motor, what to do with it?

hey everyone, i have an xtm 15 nitro motor just sitting around. i want to use whats left of the life on it since the compression is on its way down and i wont get any money out of selling it, plus its an old motor so all the parts are discontinued. Any creative ways of using a nitro motor?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spare nitro motor, what to do with it?

Put it in a boat?

[link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Fiberglass-boat-hull-/320859167065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab4b25959]Here is a cheap hull on ebay [/link].
Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM
tommygun32

keychain..???[&:]

Well, maybe not the whole motor, maybe just the piston and arm. The rest of the body could be used as the working end of a corn cob tobacco pipe?....after thorough cleaning?

If you really had the gumption....clean the heck out of it and turn it into an aquarium feature....you know...like one of those treasure chests that open up after enough air is in it and releases the air....but done in a 'cut-a-way' engine piston movement styleeeee...[&:]
Old 03-04-2012, 12:20 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Well, maybe not the whole motor, maybe just the piston and arm. The rest of the body could be used as the working end of a corn cob tobacco pipe?....after thorough cleaning?

If you really had the gumption....clean the heck out of it and turn it into an aquarium feature....you know...like one of those treasure chests that open up after enough air is in it and releases the air....but done in a 'cut-a-way' engine piston movement styleeeee...[&:]
K&B 3.5 piston I've had on my keychain for the past year.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:20 PM
prsabordo

yea i already have a piston on my keycahin. The thing is the motor i have still has some life left and its a decent motor (my 1st nitro motor so i experimented with porting and its had great torque and speed/high revving), so i wanna have some fun with it before it craps out. Once it blows then ill take the piston and put it on a keychain. I was thinking about putting it in my traxxas revo 2.5r but i realized the exhaust headers are totally different, so the motor woudn't fit. I dont smoke or have a fish tank so those two options are out.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Build yourself an airboat. Get a suitable three blade pusher prop that will put the engine in the torqueband and go nuts. Airboats are fun and they don't need a high-end engine to work.
ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

K&B 3.5 piston I've had on my keychain for the past year.

I've got the slug and rod from a 23cc leaf blower on mine [&:]

Both my dad and my best friend have one from an AE .15 on theirs, lol.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:41 PM
prsabordo

airboat seems cool, does it cost alot to make?  Also i am not sure of the rules around where i live about running nitro in the lakes.  Might be too loud. 
Old 03-04-2012, 03:54 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: prsabordo

airboat seems cool, does it cost alot to make? Also i am not sure of the rules around where i live about running nitro in the lakes. Might be too loud.
Not at all.

Basically, all you need to do is mount the engine up above the boat, throw a 7x6 prop on it, and rig up some rudders. There are several different ways you can do this. I would build a platform, with the fuel tank behind the engine. Mount the hinged rudders to the back of the platform. Steering and rudders all depends on how you want to set up the servos. These things get wet, so mounting the servos in a dry place (the hull) is the best option.

Take a look at all [link=https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rc+airboat&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=638&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=0v9TT7xKwdbRAd3ZqPoN]these[/link], get some ideas about what you want, and slap something together.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
prsabordo

So can i just mount my xtm 15 motor onto a frame or do i have to modify the engine because of water contact?  Also can i just install a prop onto the crankshaft where my flywheel went or do i need an adapter?  i am interested to try this out and it looks like alot of fun.  The problem is i am not good at building things with wood and every time i try to my measurements and/or cuts are off.  So are frames easy to build?  Are there step by step instructions on how to make one from scratch?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 PM

RCU has a forum dedicated to building airboats. Pop a thread down there and they'll be more than willing to help you out. On the prop, yes, you can just bolt it on. You may need to modify the carb though, the idle speed screw will prevent you from shutting the engine off via transmitter. You will also be running it sans air filter, as it may get caught in the prop and ripped off. All you need to do to mount the engine to the hull is a frame and a cage for the prop, and since AFAIK your engine is recoil start you can make this cage 100% prevent fingers wandering into the prop.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: prsabordo

So can i just mount my xtm 15 motor onto a frame or do i have to modify the engine because of water contact? Also can i just install a prop onto the crankshaft where my flywheel went or do i need an adapter? i am interested to try this out and it looks like alot of fun. The problem is i am not good at building things with wood and every time i try to my measurements and/or cuts are off. So are frames easy to build? Are there step by step instructions on how to make one from scratch?
This is why an airboat is easier, no need for water cooling, the prop cools the engine. It may work. You will need a drive washer, like [link=http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/40805/]this[/link]. A prop washer, like [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCT68&P=7]this[/link], and a prop nut like [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCT52&P=7]this[/link]. You will have to arrange the carburetor in a way that will not interfere with the prop. The XTM 18 is a rear exhaust engine, so figuring out the exhaust would be tricky.

Keep in mind, this is just an idea for someone who has a lot of parts and supplies laying around. If you're going to spend money scratch building an air boat, you might as well just buy a purpose built airplane engine. I already have all those things I listed, like the prop washers... so I wouldn't have to spend money on them. The engine you are using is not worth all that much, so keep your budget as close to nothing as possible. Remember, you are building the boat around the engine.

Making a boat from scratch may not really be the best thing, considering the questions you are asking, no offense.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM
prsabordo

proanti, totally understand.  I dont want to spend more than i want to.  If i can keep it under budget, i think it will be a fun project for me and my brothers.  i am going to do some price checking and shopping today to see how much it will cost for materials and hardware. 
378, what do you mean by sans filter and AFAIK for my engine.  I have an xtm 15 nitro rc motor, pull start.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:52 PM

sans = without, as in, you won't use the air filter. AFAIK means I don't know your engine firsthand and am just throwing a guess out.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 AM
saucySavy

Hang the piston from your car mirror!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:16 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Mounting an air prop on a car engine is rather difficult without the proper prop nut. Car engine crankshafts are too short for most props. If you can make a prop nut yourself or find one online then you're in business, sort of. The other problem is pusher props are very limited availability and don't usually come that small. A puller/tractor setup is better for cooling and there are far more prop options. Also, big heat sink heads will over cool with an air prop. Cutting most of the fins off the head will remedy this problem.

The main hurdle is the prop nut.

Not to be bearer of bad news, but it's the facts of the matter.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM

The big heat-sink head will help with cooling in a pusher setup. The RTR Super Tiger airboat has a .27 aircraft engine, but since it's a pusher, they put a 5-fin car style head on it to allieviate the notorious overheating issues pusher-mounted engines tend to have.

He could also consider mounting the engine low in the hull and creating a belt drive, that way he could retain the clutch and use a larger prop than the engine could turn if it were bolted to the crankshaft itself. It'd also drop the center of gravity, which would help in keeping the airboat right way up.