Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New color for plastic

Old 03-07-2012, 12:23 PM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New color for plastic

I was thinking i wanted to change the color on some plastic on my savage flux xs. possibly the bumpers and some other small plastic parts. How do i do this? i think i saw somehwere that i have to boil the parts in a mix of water and R.I.T dye? can someone enlighten me on this subject?
Old 03-07-2012, 12:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New color for plastic

if its black its not changing
which I think the XS's plastic is

if its white or grey yes get rit clothing dye for nylon, and boil them in it
Old 03-07-2012, 01:12 PM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

if its black its not changing
which I think the XS's plastic is

if its white or grey yes get rit clothing dye for nylon, and boil them in it
crap that sucks. its all black except for the TVP's. but i dont really wanna take apart the whole truck just to change the color of those. is there anything i can do to change the color of the black plasticthat would hold up?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

only way to change black is paint
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

I wonder if they could be bleached out (hair bleach not Clorox bleach). Lightened just enough to use Rit dye. If I can find some extra black plastic parts lying around, I'll try it when I am at work tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

I wonder if they could be bleached out (hair bleach not Clorox bleach). Lightened just enough to use Rit dye. If I can find some extra black plastic parts lying around, I'll try it when I am at work tomorrow.
That sounds like something to try. They have to have gotten the black color from somewhere so something hsoul dbe able to change it so it could be dyed.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would probably become VERY brittle, if it is even possible.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Clmbngfrk18

You could always use plastic paint i believe they sell it at walmart its supposed to bond to the plastic not sure how well it works though its called krylon fusion
Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: Clmbngfrk18

You could always use plastic paint i believe they sell it at walmart its supposed to bond to the plastic not sure how well it works though its called krylon fusion
I thought about that. the paint worksquite well onplastic,but when the truck flips and scrapes the bumper or other parts, there goes the paint probably. unlessyou throw several coats on.And im sure if the plastic were to flex from something, the paint would crack and start to peel.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

I thought about that. the paint works quite well on plastic, but when the truck flips and scrapes the bumper or other parts, there goes the paint probably. unless you throw several coats on. And im sure if the plastic were to flex from something, the paint would crack and start to peel.
in all honesty the dye doesn't go that far in either a light scratch you prolly won't see but anything deep from my experiences is noticeable
Old 03-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Clmbngfrk18

I thought about that. the paint works quite well on plastic, but when the truck flips and scrapes the bumper or other parts, there goes the paint probably. unless you throw several coats on. And im sure if the plastic were to flex from something, the paint would crack and start to peel.
According to ther site its chip resistant but after a week i remember from a commercial when it came out its supposed to bond to the plastic not just stick to the surface i got a spare bumper i think ill give it a go and after a week crash it into a few hard objects see how it holds up

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/
Old 03-08-2012, 02:44 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

in all honesty the dye doesn't go that far in either a light scratch you prolly won't see but anything deep from my experiences is noticeable
+1 Experienced that first hand yesterday. Some rod ends I dyed fit too tightly, so I needed pliers. Pliers slipped and left a big white scratch on the side.[:@] Fortunately I have to replace the rod ends anyway because they don't fit well.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: proanti1

It would probably become VERY brittle, if it is even possible.
It's possible, but its worth a shot. Though, I've used the bleach on women with completely fried hair with minimal damage so I think that it could be worth a shot. I found a bunch of parts from an old Emaxx I used to have so I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM
DaveG55

According to ther site its chip resistant but after a week i remember from a commercial when it came out its supposed to bond to the plastic not just stick to the surface i got a spare bumper i think ill give it a go and after a week crash it into a few hard objects see how it holds up

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

I used that stuff a few years ago on a SeaDoo. Painted a plastic cowling with it. Followed the instructions for prep and drying exactly. It did not hold up well even though the cowling was not a "high traffic" area. I cannot imagine that it would do well at all on the plastic used in rc's.
Maybe they have improved the formula since then, IDK, I was so disapointed in it that I have not bought it since.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rit makes a bleaching dye, i dont think it has bleach in it, but its supposed to remove all color.