Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

13 y.o. son looking for $200 basher

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Mike St.Clair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13 y.o. son looking for $200 basher

He already has a hopped up Megatech Megapro truck and a DTX Vendetta SC. Looking for something that will be better for bashing and not require almost smooth surfaces like these do. We looked at the Helion Dominus 10SC since we have a HobbyTown right around the corner. Being a SC truck, not sure how great a basher it would be. I was impressed with the aluminum chassis and being 1/10th 4wd for $199.99. Kind of thinking 4wd is preferable since we don't have our own yard and just run them where we can. Any ideas appreciated.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:26 PM
TornadoGuy

Default RE: 13 y.o. son looking for $200 basher

For the $200 price range I would look into the Traxxas Rustler XL-5. I have one, and let me tell you, it can handle off-road, rocky, and even grassy terrain. I don't know how important 4WD is to you, but the Rustler is only 2WD. For being a 2WD stadium Truck it handles the road well though. I upgraded mine to a brushless Velineon system, which takes it to nearly 50 mph, and it handles exceptionally well for that kind of speed. If I remember correctly, my radar gun clocked the car at a top speed of 25mph, stock. It seems fast, but a good suspension makes handling it easier.

In the beginning you may also set the Speed Controller to 50% throttle to get a feel for the car. After that, set it to sport mode for the full potential of the car. Right now Tower Hobbies has the Rustler for $209 with a 7 cell battery and charger included. Just charge the battery and he will be ready to run. It is a great truck indeed, and can handle a good beating.

Here's a link to the car: [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNJH9**&P=ML]Traxxas Rustler XL-5[/link]

Enjoy,

Joe

Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 PM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

Losi xxx-sct or scb simply amazing.  I have the sct and will be getting the scb soon,  I have not broken 1 thing.  And there price got lowered for $240 to $200
Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $130 you can get a Duratrax Evader, which is a 2wd stadium truck. its a great durable model, comes with everything you need, gear diff so there is no adjustment and have longer wearability and have a guarantee on nylon suspension components.

in my opinion its the best bet for a sub $200 model, better than the rustler in my opinion, i had both so i would know.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Budget is on the road? Or just for a kit?

If its for a kit... Jammin SCRT10 race roller.

If it's up and running, an Evader or Rustler.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Mike St.Clair

He may be willing to spend $250, but would rather stay close to $200 so he has money left to buy whatever else he wants. We hardly ever run the 1/18th scalers because there isn't a track really close by and no really good areas to run it. I'm thinking something big enough would allow him to run on the rougher terrain and grassy areas around us. I wondered about the 1/16th scale Grave Digger we saw. It's considerably bigger and the review I read said it isn't hard to convert to 4wd.
He does have a Flysky 2.4 rx/tx and would possibly buy another if they're still about $25 shipped. Not sure how much a good motor would be for a roller.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Foxy

Given that you already have decent radio gear, batteries and chargers, it would be best to try to find a kit or roller. As the TXs that comes with RTRs are paid for in the price and are total rubbish, bar none. Of course that leaves you with a need for a servo and a motor and ESC combo...

I can't in good conscience recommend any RC for 200 bucks (or even 250 really). Whatever I look at around that price range, I find to be sub-standard and include the cost of more radio gear you don't need.

I'd say bite the bullet and get Jammin SCRT10 (200 bucks, amazing price for a great roller, all mateal drivetrain, alloy chassis, etc, indestructible car)
The Castle Sidewinder 3800kv combo (about 100 bucks but MORE than worth it, it makes this truck sing and gives the option of 2s batteries for normal racing/running or 3s for total insanity later)
and of course a cheap servo (hitec 645mg or something, at about another 35 bucks)

It will be an incredible car for the money, but as you can see, somewhat outside your stated budget. Unfortunately, there is nothing even comparable for the price, perhaps the little Savage Flux SS, which was available RTR for about 300 bucks, though the price may have gone up now. To get something else as good as these two cars you'll need to spend another 100 bucks (at least 400 total). I really believe that getting another cheap RTR will be false economy for you guys.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Mike St.Clair

Someone recommended a Tamiya Dualhunter 4wd truck, but I know nothing about them. I hear you on needing to spend $400. He's 13 and that kind of money doesn't come by very often and he's a great saver. It will cost about $10-15 to fix his Megatech and I have 5 spare wheels for the Detta SC. We're going to a campground this weekend that has an actual RC track! We are stoked as we've never experienced one and hope it really lights our fires. I have my Detta SC with the DTX green rear springs, DTX rear sway bar, and a Castle 26mm 4600 kv ready to go. It might have a touch too much power though. I broke it out yesterday for the first time in 6 plus months and was blown away by the power on a 2S and I have a 3S for it......
Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about one of the Jammin CRT.5 trucks? its only $89 for the kit Ithik you could get it RTR with a ezrun brushless sytem for about $250 give or take. I have heardmost of the SCRT10 part are compatable which make a brushless conversion easy.
http://www.nitrohouse.com/Car-Kits-N...duct_info.html
Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Mike St.Clair

I remember those things getting blown out on ebay a year or so ago, I though they were gone! That is a sick deal, gotta look into that. Just not sure how well it would do unless it has some ground clearnance and/or large tires.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

What about used? I can find great RCs on Craigslist for under $200. Any extra money saved could be used for hop ups or repairs.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Mike St.Clair

I just looked at the Arma 1/10 buggy and monster truck, both 2wd.  He may just have to go 2wd because of the money.  They said we could convert a Traxxas 1/16th Grave Digger (199.95) to 4wd for $38 worst case.  That thing is definitely bigger than his current cars.  This is another LHS I visited.  He really likes the Arma's and the new Duratrax Evader BL, but again, parts aren't readily available for DTX and very little aftermarket stuff.  One big plus for Traxxas is they have parts just about everywhere.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 AM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: Mike St.Clair

I remember those things getting blown out on ebay a year or so ago, I though they were gone! That is a sick deal, gotta look into that. Just not sure how well it would do unless it has some ground clearnance and/or large tires.
You will get it with the extended chassis which makes it only slightly smaller than a 1/10 ST. It comes with 2.2 inch buggy tires but you can easlity put a set of 2.2 inch ST tires for the same amount of ground clearance as the rustler you were looking at. Except that it is 4wd and much better quality than the traxxas. I have one that I and running as a nitro and it handles really well and the build quality is impressive especially for the money! I a considering going brushless with it though. it doesn't look like it will cost much to do a conversion using scrt10 parts.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Mike St.Clair

I'll have to show him tonight. Sounds like a fun project as long as everything pretty much bolts in.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

for the conversion you need the SCRT10 motor mount, and the SCRT10 battery tray.
and to drill 3 holes in the extended chassis that is it.(outside the electronics)

OFN40936 is the motor mount (cheaper than the monster mount, and made just as good) $21 http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ic-Motor-Mount
OFN40946 is the battery holder/servo mount/radio tray/support section Use the parts in this over the ones included in the kit. After you assemble it all play with the battery holder to find a good spot and drill 3 holes in the chassis to mount it. $13 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZAJ4&P=7 (amains outta stock on this one part )
http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...m+mod1&x=0&y=0 the pinions you will need if you go with a 3mm motor.

Pretty much under $100 you get a electric roller

as for stock clearance I've never had an issue driving it in grass, and dirt.

eventually you will probably want to pick up the STRC c-hubs, knuckles, and steering setup. On my one the C-hubs failed pretty soon I might have been an exception but once I put on the STRC hubs they have been virtually trouble free. Only other part I had to replace was the steering setup when I whacked one of mines front tire into a brick going over 40 mph(it was airborne).

BTW I own 2 of them one I made into a 1/8th scale buggy
left is the CRT.5(using extended chassis included in kit) right is the 1/8th buggy modded CRT.5 using a SCRT10 chassis, driveshafts, 17mm hex conversion setup, and some cheap 1/8th scale buggy tires/rims (also the one I totaled the steering setup on that I got the STRC one for)
under the hood their setup is virtually identical both are using HW 65A ESC's, with 8.5t motors, Hitec 645 MG servos, and Flysky 2.4 ghz radios.
Total cost to get the 2nd SCRT running with electronics I think was $230ish(counting everything - battery, and radio).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33749.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1748705  
Old 04-09-2012, 02:56 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ooohh forgot one other option is the Tamiya DF-02 (Plasma edge $120 at tower)
its a decent kit and with the right upgrades can be made fairly strong. ($3-5 mod for the hinge pins that takes 10 mins)
Comes with a ESC (needs a external uBEC as the ESC will pump full battery voltage into the receiver, and fry it if you don't use one), and a motor. Needs a $5 uBEC, $10-15 servo, and a radio.
So it can be made to run for $160ish not counting the battery

I got 2 of them 1 is brushless, and has a fair amount of hop-ups for strength to make it survive the brushless setup (DF-03 CVD's, steer diff outdrives, modded aluminum shock tower, aluminum C-hubs, and knuckles) Almost forgot will need shocks seeing the stock tamiya ones SUCK. I ended up using shocks off an evader which cost me $30 on one, and shocks off an HPI RC on the other.
Other is essentially a almost stock one with a brushed ESC, and the 27t tamiya motor that I made into a Stadium truck (slapped a GT10 body on it, with 2.2in truck tires) that I let my 6yo nephew use. My 12 yo nephew owns a plasma edge too

I will say the CRT.5 would probably be the better choice seeing it can take more of a beating, and need less mods but it will cost a bit more.

Other lower cost options HPI Wheely king isn't a bad RC 1/12th scale(I think it uses 1/10th tires though) 4wd MT somewhere around $210 price point RTR. Its not a bad truck does like to wheely though like mad (hence its name) Only thing I did to mine was add a 3rd axle to it with a traxxas water proof radio box (new WK's are water proof I got an older one) outside that its parts are virtually stock, and its held up good.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 AM
xxturbowesxx

I'd buy a roller and install a ezrun brushless system.

Which roller would depend on what type of bashing but a mt is a good start and I'd keep it loose on model type so I could find the best deal.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Mike St.Clair

He'd really be bashing in our "side" yard, grassy areas, and wherever we can find dirt. Liking the Ofna CRT .5 of the bunch
Old 04-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Foxy

I'm with the 'CRT.5' option given it won't be a huge area to run and budget is a concern. It's a top level RC which is now really cheap due to its age in the market.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I'm with the 'CRT.5' option given it won't be a huge area to run and budget is a concern. It's a top level RC which is now really cheap due to its age in the market.
and the SCRT10 gave it a new lease on life for parts support

seriously have no idea how happy I was when the SCRT10 came out.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 PM
yakfish

I can't believe they actually have some left for sale considering the price being asked for it. It is a great kit and is suprisingly durablefor what it is! they did raise the price by $10 since I got mine back November 2011.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:10 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I wasn't in the market for a project like that but I am so tempted by the crt.5
Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I can't believe they actually have some left for sale considering the price being asked for it. It is a great kit and is suprisingly durablefor what it is! they did raise the price by $10 since I got mine back November 2011.
They seem to still be making them last one I ordered the box was different than my original one from a year prior, and the 2nd one had ofna's current catalog in it. The original box had a sticker as a special the extended chassis was included which was a $45 value, the 2nd one just said extended chassis included on the box itself.

I actually bought my 2nd just for the body shell (couldn't help but build the kit though ) seeing OFNA wanted $15 more for the whole RC kit than my LHS wanted just for the OFNA CRT.5 body [:@]
Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Mike St.Clair

Any other bodies fit it?  How much did you pay for another CRT .5?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Mike St.Clair

Any other bodies fit it? How much did you pay for another CRT .5?
bodies beats me I couldn't find any at my LHS, but they have dropped in their body stock on hand to mostly 1/8ths

LHS wanted $60 for the ofna body, and I got my 2nd crt.5 for $75 off ofnas site lol

just looked the CRT.5 went up by $5 on ofnas site

hmm just threw my wheelie kings body on it to size it up wheelbase fits astonishingly well. Might have to make some longer body mounts, and have a high speed van, or get a pickup truck WK body next time I need one
There is the illuzion body for the crt .5 but that don't fit the extended chassis right (I got one the shock tower hits the body due to its design)

I'm sure there are others seeing since I last looked for a body a few sub 1/10th RC's came out. Also can always make a body fit

BTW the stock body is pretty strong. It was just the way I originally converted the 1st one to electric, after a bad flip the battery holder I used at the time put a hole through the windshield(I had the battery mount over the center diff). Other than that the body is in great shape. I just like my RC's looking almost flawless nice when sitting on the shelf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.