Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

13 y.o. son looking for $200 basher

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Mike St.Clair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 13 y.o. son looking for $200 basher

Wow, so Ofna sells them as cheap as anyone.  Makes sense to buy it from them I guess.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Eman77

That CRT .5 looks like a sweet deal!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Mike St.Clair

How is this Ofna compared to the CRT .5? http://www.ofnawarehouse.com/product...oducts_id=3134
Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike St.Clair

How is this Ofna compared to the CRT .5? http://www.ofnawarehouse.com/product...oducts_id=3134
They are almost identicle. They share about 90% of the same parts.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: yakfish

How is this Ofna compared to the CRT .5? http://www.ofnawarehouse.com/product...oducts_id=3134
They are almost identicle. They share about 90% of the same parts.
yup
actually the stuff to make the crt electric come off the SCRT10

only thing they don't share is the chassis, center drive shafts, shock towers, and bumpers. Arms, diffs, diff casings, c-hubs, knuckles, and CVD's are the same exact part (and probably a few others I'm forgetting)
but say you want to extend the crt.5 you can buy the scrt10 chassis, and drive shafts and just bolt everything to it like I did in that pic of the buggy I made from a crt.5
Like you could slap the SCRT10 bumpers on a crt.5 etc. They pretty much are a direct bolt on for the most part.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, I recommended the SCRT-10 back on the first page. It's a fantastic car but will take you out of budget all set up.

Also, it's more expensive on OFNA's site than it is in other places. Amain for example... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...olling-Chassis
Old 04-17-2012, 04:50 AM
Mike St.Clair

My bad, I misread the Ofna page. I thought it was RTR..... I like the idea of something with a body that covers the wheels or a more monster truck type. The Savage XS really seems to be able to take a beating and would be $250 with my Tower discount. One of the issues that we're all constantly aware of is how often these things break, at least our 1/18th's do. Parts being readily available is a huge plus and the one big negative for the CRT .5 is no LHS I've seen carries OFNA stuff.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Mike St.Clair

Just looked at and read some good reviews on the Hyper 10SC. $280 at Amain. Definitely a consideration. A
Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Mike St.Clair

So, I think we're down to the Ofna's.  What would you guys recommend for an Ez-run BL system and servo set up?  We would probably get the Flysky 2.4 for $20 from Hobbypartz as well.  He wants to fix his Megatech that uses the Flysky.  If we went with the Ofna Hyper 10TT truggy or Hyper 10SC, they're both brushed and I would imagine the radios are about equal to the Flysky.  But, they would be about $225 each with my discount. And they're brushed.  The other one I just looked at is the Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk XXT brushless 2.4g for $315 minus my $50 deal.  He's ready to do this as the searching will drive both of us nuts!!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Mike St.Clair

Would the Castle 1410 combo be too much for the CRT .5?  http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...inder_sct.html  He doesn't really need on demand wheelie popping power, just something that's considerably better and more efficient than brushed.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 PM
yakfish

Would the Castle 1410 combo be too much for the CRT .5? http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...inder_sct.html He doesn't really need on demand wheelie popping power, just something that's considerably better and more efficient than brushed.
That Castle system is the one I have been considering if I convert mine to brushless. It won't be too much for the CRT.5 but it might be too much for your son (for now). You can easily tone it down with a Castle Link or if your radio system has endpoint adjustments. Then you can increase the power as his skill improves which shouldn't take too long for him.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 AM
Mike St.Clair

That or an ezrun system that's cheaper.  Still debating on whether we try this piecing one together or just getting one brushed rtr. Seems the short course would be a better basher.....?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 AM
yakfish

That or an ezrun system that's cheaper. Still debating on whether we try this piecing one together or just getting one brushed rtr. Seems the short course would be a better basher.....?
I have had a couple ezrun systems in 1/18 scale trucks that were pretty good. I burned them up but I am hard on my equipment. They ran great untill I over geared them!LOL! I haven't had any of the 1/10 scale stuff but I have heard nothing but good things about them. For electronics I like to go with Castle, but for the money the EZrun systems are a good deal.

If it was me I would piece it together and get everything YOU want on it. If you go with an RTR brushed you will eventualy want to upgrade to brushless and you will need to replace the cheap plastic geared servo with something better too. If you do it "right" the first time you will end up spending less in the long run. As far as the short course being a better basher: For the most part they are the same truck except the body protects the wheels on the shortcourse model which is helpfull. In the end it all boils dowm to personal preference. What ever direction you descide to go make sure you let us know and post lots of pics!!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Mike St.Clair

Well, after reading so many negative reports on inexpensive 4wd set ups, I think he's ready to seriously consider a 2wd SC or monster.  We also want the availability of different tires and parts, which pretty much rules out the Arrma's (although they fly at 29mph stock!) and ECX's.  Just a quick search seems to show the Associated Pro Comp RS SC10 is a deal at $250 from TH, and it's brushless!  A comparable Traxxas Slash VXL is $55 more.  The videos we've watched seem to show 2wd 1/10th scalers with the right tires have no real issues in grass and crazy dirt.  
     Sorry to change up things, but after seeing how easily the Helion breaks and reading tons of people breaking the CRT's and Hyper TT's, not so sure about them.   Haven't found a ton about the Hyper 10SC and none of our LHS"s stock any of them nor any parts.  
     I guess the Traxxas Stampede is a great way to go, but we don't want to have what every body else has either.  Maybe that's being counterproductive towards our goal though......  We really have parking lots and streets to mess around on and a couple of embankments between the townhomes.  
Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 AM
yakfish

My CRT.5 is all stock with the exception of running a Werks B6 .21 engine and gearing in it and I haven't broke any parts on it yet myself. The drivetrain is about as solid as they come so running brushless shouldn't be an issue. I have heard that the steering knuckles are the weak points on this truck. there are aluminum upgrade parts available for it though I just haven't needed them yet. If I ever break mine I will upgrade to aluminum steering knuckles. ofna makes some that are way too expensive for hat they are but I remember seeing another aftermarket company that makes a good looking aluminum set that are much more reasonably priced. Can't remember the name off the top of my head but i sure someone here rememebers the name.
I had a Stampede a while back and wasn't too impressed with it I didn't break anything on it but it handled about as well as a wheel barrow. I have never reccomended one to anybody.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Mike St.Clair

I was just adding up the CRT path. Add or correct me if I'm wrong: CRT .5 $80, Hitech 645mg $31, battery box/servo mount from Ofna $11, motor mount $23, cheap Flysky 2.4g $30 ish. That leaves $75 for a brushless motor/esc unless I missed some other needed parts. This looks like the cheapest esc/motor combo from HP, I know nothing about what should go in it, but I figured 4000kv or so http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-9t-3650-motor.html $70.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:05 PM
yakfish

I was just adding up the CRT path. Add or correct me if I'm wrong: CRT .5 $80, Hitech 645mg $31, battery box/servo mount from Ofna $11, motor mount $23, cheap Flysky 2.4g $30 ish. That leaves $75 for a brushless motor/esc unless I missed some other needed parts. This looks like the cheapest esc/motor combo from HP, I know nothing about what should go in it, but I figured 4000kv or so http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-9t-3650-motor.html $70.

You still need batteries and a charger (unless you already have those) and a pinion gear. That should cover everythig you need to be ready to run. As for your brushless combo: personally I would go for the after the 60A ESC instead of the 35A ESC you have in the link. A Tacon motor in the 3000kv-4000kv range ( I would probably stay around 3500kv or less). and then gear it for around 35-40 mph
Old 04-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Mike St.Clair

Yea, I thought the ESC sounded low.  We have some 2S Gensace 1800 packs for our 1/18th scalers.  Gotta link to what a Gensace that fits?  I also noticed Hobbypartz is showing out of stock on tons of stuff as usual.  
   In the 2wd stuff, man, that Arrma Fury SC is hard to beat at what it costs and the fact it runs 29mph brushed.  Haven't found anything about their desert truck, the Mojave.  They sell them at two LHS's near us.  Just trying to keep our options open.  Also really like the ECX Torment, but it would require a BL combo immediately, but it is considerably cheaper than anything else at $159.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Mike St.Clair

Not one single Tacon that's suitable in stock.  Something is up with Hobbypartz.  We may just have to stick with RTR and he can upgrade later when he's ready.  Any real difference between the Hyper 10SC and TT as far as suspension components?  Any idea how fast they are on a 2S brushed?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Mike St.Clair

Read up on these before you kill me, what about the Redcat Racing Caldera series?