Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Please help me select my next car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help me select my next car.

Since you guys did such an excellent job helping me select my Hyper 7 and Losi 810, I'm going to lean on you a little bit more for my next car -whichwill be an on-road car.

Below is what I am looking for in order of importance:

1. Nitro. No offense to anyone, just my preference.
2. Speed, speed, and more speed.
3. Parts availability. (see #5)
4. Quality. While I don't fear building my own kit (I acually can't wait), I want to step into the world of on-road with a RTR, and want it to be a quality one.
5. Looks. This will be a car I will keep like new, and I want it to show!
6. Durability. While I don't intend to run this car into anything or even jump it off a curb - ever, we all know it happens...it sure does with me at least.

Once again - speed is what I'm craving. I'm happy to sacrifice some durability for speed (I have a set of hard-core bashers for when I want to go off-road). ;-)

I'll post my 'short-list' later (and why I am considering each one), but am more interested in what you recommend and see how it compares to the one's I'm evaluating.

Thanks all!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Please help me select my next car.

Traxxas Tec-4 70mph. Not bad for a nitro... Still falls short from a modified brushless car.

HPI RS4 V3 +50mph

Dont forget to check out Tamiya and Ho Bao
Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 PM
The_Shark

4-tec???[:'(]

if you can fork $400 i REALLY REALLY like the OFNA Dm-one nitro RTR.

its 1/18, 4wd, .28 powered, lay down shocks, PBS suspension and drop dead sexy. i would say at least 80MPH and looks tough as nails.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 AM
phmaximus

Just thought what about a hyper 7 with a touring car body?
Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 AM
Traxxas Fanboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traxxas makes some great nitro vehicles. The 4-Tec is a great on-road car and the Jato does fairly good on-road as well.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 AM
Eman77

...but you're really a Tamiya guy at heart, aren't you? Aren't you?!?

C'mon, you can be honest with us.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:53 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

its 1/18, 4wd, .28 powered, lay down shocks, PBS suspension and drop dead sexy. i would say at least 80MPH and looks tough as nails.
I have to agree with the DM-1 here or any of the 1/8 GT cars really. Take a look at the Kyosho Inferno GT2, Ofna GTP2 and the Ofna DM-1. They are all 1/8 scale and are much better bashers than a 1/10 touring cars. The touring car are fun but if the surface you are running on isn't prefectly smooth and clean you will bottom out all the time and really won't be able to take advantage of the handling capabilities of the car. The 1/8 gt cars can run on any parking lot surface and won't be affected much by small debris. If you are not familiar with the GT cars, they are based on the 1/8 buggy chassis but they come with a 2 speed tranny and onroad suspension and different body mounts.

80MPh is a stretch though 55-60mph isn't too difficult to acheive and anything over 70 will be tough without some highend modified torque monster of an engine. I did get to 65MPH on the GPS with my Inferno GT runninga stock OS V-spec. I could probably got a bit more out of it if I played with the gearing more but it has a brushless conversion and triple digits in it future!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Kyosho DRX. If I would buy any nitro car, It would be it. Except for maybe a fifth scale. And I would convert them both to electric
Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: yakfish

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

I have to agree with the DM-1 here or any of the 1/8 GT cars really. Take a look at the Kyosho Inferno GT2, Ofna GTP2 and the Ofna DM-1. They are all 1/8 scale and are much better bashers than a 1/10 touring cars. The touring car are fun but if the surface you are running on isn't prefectly smooth and clean you will bottom out all the time and really won't be able to take advantage of the handling capabilities of the car. The 1/8 gt cars can run on any parking lot surface and won't be affected much by small debris. If you are not familiar with the GT cars, they are based on the 1/8 buggy chassis but they come with a 2 speed tranny and onroad suspension and different body mounts.

80MPh is a stretch though 55-60mph isn't too difficult to acheive and anything over 70 will be tough without some highend modified torque monster of an engine. I did get to 65MPH on the GPS with my Inferno GT runninga stock OS V-spec. I could probably got a bit more out of it if I played with the gearing more but it has a brushless conversion and triple digits in it future!
. i would imagine faster, they do come with a .28 engine.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:55 AM
phmaximus

I'm getting a losi 5ive.... Ner near lol
Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 AM
The_Shark

when will losi learn that numbers are not letters??

1ne 2wo 3hree 4ore 5ive 6ix 7even 8ight 9ine 10en I think its lame 6ut 3ats 7ust 3e.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Traxxas Fanboy
Banned

ORIGINAL: Eman77

...but you're really a Tamiya guy at heart, aren't you? Aren't you?!?

C'mon, you can be honest with us.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:25 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I'm getting a losi 5ive.... Ner near lol
What did you pay for it over here if you don't mind me asking? I've heard Losi keeps their prices fairly comparative in Australia, I might have to get myself a 5ive and do an electric conversion. It still surprises me how many Baja fans I see here in Oz considering the price of them.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:01 PM
phmaximus

Only $1700 including postage, nearly everywhere is out of stock tho, I'm spewing the losi importer is only a 10 min drive from here but they are out of stock, mine is comming from QLD.... Only place that had it in stock. Apparently they are selling like hot cakes.

I was going to get a roller to convert to brushless from eBay for $800-1200 but after reading up on them I was put off...
The cost of a castle xl is just the biggest ripoff
The cost of the batteries was over $200
I would of been looking over 2k

Then the fact it would be pushing it with gearing to get a runtime of 20min... And looked like it had to much torque for a 1/8 buggie track. Oh and I would of needed a new charger, mine only charge at 5a so it would take forever to charge, for what 20min run time.... No thank you.

I'm going to stick with the gasser and a 45min run time. IMO when brushless, they can be deadly, or do some serious property damage.
I've already ordered a super bee engine cut off
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

That's not a bad price for Australia, I'll be looking into one of them some time in the next few months. The LHS here sells a lot of Losi stuff so I'll have to see what they can do for me. The main reason I would want to do an electric conversion is for the noise factor so I could run it in the local park near my house but yeah the price and the run times are a bit of a deterrent.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 AM
phmaximus

Don't worry about the noise, it's legal.... No louder than Jim's mowing or a Harley

Ever thought of a savage Baja? Might work out nearly $1000 cheaper
Old 01-12-2013, 04:33 PM
DanLC4
My Feedback: (9)

How about this....

Just posted RTR eletectric option.
check out the ads on rcuniverse.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=893574
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=893571

Dan