Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

First Nitro RC

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM
bjfrankl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Nitro RC

Hello -

I currently fly rc airplanes and am intersted in purchasing my first nitro rc car. I would like a car that can handle grass, dirt, and paved roads. Any suggestions? So far I have been looking into the following:

HPI Racing RS4 MT2 G 3.0
HPI Racing 1/10 10T 2WD
Traxxas Rustler

Thank you,
Bjfrankl
Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: First Nitro RC

Ofna Hyper 7 TQ http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRUS1&P=7
Ofna Jammin X1x http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-4WD-RTR-Buggy (have one tough as hell buggy)

only thing on them you will need a new steering servo pick up a Hitec 645MG off ebay for around $30 shipped, and swap it in. But still it will be cheaper than a MT2 (which sill need the steering servo changed as well)

I own a MT2 and honestly can't recommend it after owning the jammin buggy. The jammin does everything a MT2 can, and more without breaking. The jammin has almost the same exact wheel base, and almost the same exact ground clearance (if the MT2 is using masher 2000 tires the buggy is taller with the stock MT2 tires)

The Hyper 7 I've heard similar experience about it that I've had with the jammin buggy.

Side note the MT2 is kinda being phased out by HPI. The USA is the only place the MT2 isn't discontinued, but its replacement already was released so its only a matter of time.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree the OFNA 1/8 buggy class is really hard to beat for the price, they are very affordable, but also are able to do well on a track and more durable than just about any car out there.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the rustler aint bad.
tho it does seem kinda pricey when compared to the ofna's

But I have had both a .15 and a 2.5 and both were pretty easy to tune and keep running.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: bjfrankl

Hello -

I currently fly rc airplanes and am intersted in purchasing my first nitro rc car. I would like a car that can handle grass, dirt, and paved roads. Any suggestions? So far I have been looking into the following:

HPI Racing RS4 MT2 G 3.0
HPI Racing 1/10 10T 2WD
Traxxas Rustler

Thank you,
Bjfrankl
Are these 3 rc vehicles within your budget or can you go more expensive?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM
bjfrankl

I would prefer not to spend over $500. I am the most familiar with Traxxas because I see the brand at most of the hobby shops that I visit, and I have owned a Traxxas boat. I am just looking for something to drive around at our local RC Flying Field on windy days. I will be using the vehicle mostly on grass and dirt because I don't know of any racing near where I live.

Is anyone familiar with the nitro vehicles on Hobbyking's website? My friend bought a gas rc truck from Hobbyking, and he seems to like it.

Bjfrankl
Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
quietnas1

In that case the Rustler and Jato are both good trucks from Traxxas. Also the HPI MT2 and Firestorm are both good as well. Only difference is the MT2 is 4wd and will fair better in the terrain. If your looking at doing some hard driving then the buggies mentioned above are worth a look. Also the HPI Savage X 4.6 or the Losi XXL Monster trucks are also worth looking at for some hard bashing.

All in all you have some choices. HPI and Traxxas also offer amazing customer service if you ever need them.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:49 PM
bjfrankl

Thank you for all of the replies. I am going to purchase either the Traxxas Rustler or the Hyper 7.

Bjfrankl