Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

My first Tamiya

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first Tamiya

After roughly 17 years in the hobby (since i was 5) I finally got my first Tamiya, it was a late birthday present but it was a good one. It's a re-release of the Mercedes C11 Group C chassis, i don't have it in my hands yet, it should be here in a couple days.

I have always wanted a car with real scale looks, Tamiya almost always fills that niche, but every time i think about buying one, they discontinue it, since this is a re-release and all parts are stocked, i feel a little more at ease.

i don't go to the track to run on-roads, but i think i will start with this thing, i have a few really nice places to run it at home too.

What was your first Tamiya? Does anyone else run a Group C chassis?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97180.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1753904  
Old 04-22-2012, 10:45 PM
lez1troubles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first Tamiya

Sandscorcher, still have it, it still runs like new (couple of dings 'n' dents here n there:-))
Things almost 30 years old. It has also just been re-released.Maybe time to buy a new one.
Have fun with yours, it looks super cool.[8D]
Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Mike St.Clair

Definitely cool looking!  It may be sacreligious, but I'd be cutting that Tamiya connector off!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Mike St.Clair

Definitely cool looking! It may be sacreligious, but I'd be cutting that Tamiya connector off!!!
Its a kit so no radio equipment come with it, as usual, it will have a 2s hard pack lipo, 2.4Ghz Flysky radio, a turnigy track star ESC and a turnigy outrunner brushless motor.

oh yea, i run HXT connectors, THE best connector out there in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

I have Group C chassis cars, the Mercedes, the Ferrari F40 and the Nissan that needs work.

My 1st Tamiya is a Blackfoot which I still have today, looks alot different underneath from when I first bought it but it still runs great

Name:	Ig13510.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1754243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43445.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1754244  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Eman77

I think my first Tamiya was a used Falcon that I bought from a friend. We beat that thing down pretty hard, but it drove well. Ran some sort of a RacePrep motor in it (orange endbell?), no idea how many turns.

Sadly, no pics.

First new Tamiya kit that I bought was a TA05-R. I don't have it anymore, since I got a little bored with onroad running, but I regret selling it now. It was beautiful.

Name:	Ge95034.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1754330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63882.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1754331  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had had a couple of tamiyas, like tt-01 and tl-01 but those I bought used.

The 1st kit was a lunchbox. Then I build a midnight pumking. Then a CC-01, DF-02 Plasma Edge and last is my holiday buggy.

Building is fun, whether its a simple kit or a more difficult one. I do wish some of tamiya's kits were not so costly.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 PM
The_Shark

i got the kit today and..... MELTED REAR RIM!!!! what the heck? i called tamiya up and they said its not their problem, really??? not cool.

how did THAT get through Q/C, i can't believe they wont take responsibility, im calling again tomorrow a little less nice.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:22 AM
Eman77

Did you order from Tamiya, or Tower/another retailer?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:09 AM
The_Shark

i ordered from phil's hobby shop, but i don't care if i found it in the street, it was sealed it was new, its Tamiya's problem for making a defective part, i know traxxas, duratrax or HPI would replace the rims no problem.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah thats not good, even Venom is willing to replace the parts on my Creeper, not a good move Tamiya...........
Old 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM
The_Shark

After a B.F they said they will replace the parts after i send them to them, and they will cover the shipping once the receive them... still why can't they just accept a picture? is $11 really worth ticking off a new customer?

so i ordered a set myself, and am going to send in the set now to get another set. i really don't feel like waiting 2 weeks to try out the car because of rims.

all i know is this car better be good. by the way, how do the ABS pieces hold up compared to FRP and nylon?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

After a B.F they said they will replace the parts after i send them to them, and they will cover the shipping once the receive them... still why can't they just accept a picture? is $11 really worth ticking off a new customer?

so i ordered a set myself, and am going to send in the set now to get another set. i really don't feel like waiting 2 weeks to try out the car because of rims.

all i know is this car better be good. by the way, how do the ABS pieces hold up compared to FRP and nylon?
wow I've only dealt with HPI, and Axial for parts needing to be replaced
one was my brama 10b I literally melted the diff, and HPI sent me out a replacement with no pics or even proof of purchase
Axial my SCX10's shock shaft came un threaded E-mailed axial got a reply same day asking for my address, and 2 days later I had a shock shaft again no pictures, or questions outside my address asked.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:48 AM
TornadoGuy

Nice choice for you first Tamiya kit. I am surprised that they said the melted wheel wasn't their problem. I recently built their new Mercedes 190e TT-01E kit and the result was incredible. I don't even want to drive it, but if I don't, there was no point in buying it.

My first Tamiya was a Hornet, and I have liked their cars ever since.

Here's my Mercedes:

Have fun building it,

Joe
Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM
The_Shark

well i cheated and stuck the tire on the goofed up rim with no glue to test it out, i am thoroughly impressed! just out at my street i ran it and it acted wonderfully, i took it all the way up to 75% throttle (which is approx 45mph) with no body and no wing and never did i feel it was going to veer off and crash, it feels very planted and forgives dips and bumps in the road. For such a "toy" looking platform its great, you can almost feel the car through the remote, something that i look for in a car (real and toy)

If its this good on unprepared street with no body, i cant wait to see how it runs with a lola type body, traction compound on a prepped track!

by the way thats a nice Mercedes! Tamiya makes such a good looking kit its ridiculous, i WONT run the stock C11 body, #1 its too pretty #2 its $70-80, #3 its discontinued! why tamiya? WHY!??? i was going to buy their FF-03 and see if i can find a volvo 850 body maybe next time.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well i cheated and stuck the tire on the goofed up rim with no glue to test it out, i am thoroughly impressed! just out at my street i ran it and it acted wonderfully, i took it all the way up to 75% throttle (which is approx 45mph) with no body and no wing and never did i feel it was going to veer off and crash, it feels very planted and forgives dips and bumps in the road. For such a ''toy'' looking platform its great, you can almost feel the car through the remote, something that i look for in a car (real and toy)

If its this good on unprepared street with no body, i cant wait to see how it runs with a lola type body, traction compound on a prepped track!

by the way thats a nice Mercedes! Tamiya makes such a good looking kit its ridiculous, i WONT run the stock C11 body, #1 its too pretty #2 its $70-80, #3 its discontinued! why tamiya? WHY!??? i was going to buy their FF-03 and see if i can find a volvo 850 body maybe next time.
Pan cars can be stupid quick! So light, almost no drivetrain loss. Only downside is you gotta have a nice place to run them.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

well i cheated and stuck the tire on the goofed up rim with no glue to test it out, i am thoroughly impressed! just out at my street i ran it and it acted wonderfully, i took it all the way up to 75% throttle (which is approx 45mph) with no body and no wing and never did i feel it was going to veer off and crash, it feels very planted and forgives dips and bumps in the road. For such a ''toy'' looking platform its great, you can almost feel the car through the remote, something that i look for in a car (real and toy)

Pan cars can be stupid quick! So light, almost no drivetrain loss. Only downside is you gotta have a nice place to run them.
ive had several pan cars, a couple Bolinks, a Corrally, HPI, a micro pan car and a digger, and this by far is sure to be my favorite, there is no need today to have a pan car Uber light, when they are too light, the get effected by road surfaces and drag too much, today's brushless motors are much much more than enough to make the car scoot, so in my opinion having a slightly heavier stiffer frame is at a advantage since it makes the car more stable, yeah some people try shaving off every single ounce, but ive driven super ultralight frames, and to be honest, i like the slightly heavier ones more, they just seem to hold onto a corner better, the lighter car does initiate the turn faster, but quickly pushed outside by centripetal force, so sometimes that translates to cycling of over and under-steering in the same corner.

im not saying you want a car that weighs a million pounds, but there is such thing as a car too light.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Yeah, parts literally BOUNCED of of my F103 when I ran it on a bumpy surface... I want to get it running but only have one brushless system and that kind of car is pointless slow... I got a DF03Ra. an F103, and a TT01 with only one brushless system... don't know which one to build! Maybe the F103....

Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I havent owned a tamiya, but I always wanted a blackfoot. I have yet to buy one(or any tamiya) though. It may happen one of these days. I am less motivated to buy one now as I really liked the looks of the ones with the 80's model ford body and the utility style tractor tires. The driveline is stronger on the newer ones though and they are still a pretty nice looking truck. I just think its too bad they dont have oil filled shocks and bearings. It really wouldnt hurt if tamiya would just revise a little. It would add to the value and get them some extra sales IMO.

Here is the one I like best:

Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 PM
The_Shark

yeah i understand the traditional aspect of friction shocks and bushings, but at what cost? not everyone buying a tamiya is in their late 20's or 30's, oil shocks and bearings are common place now, and these kits are not cheap, the SHOULD be equipping these cars with that.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i understand the traditional aspect of friction shocks and bushings, but at what cost? not everyone buying a tamiya is in their late 20's or 30's, oil shocks and bearings are common place now, and these kits are not cheap, the SHOULD be equipping these cars with that.
honestly the oil shocks on the DF-02 tamiya might not even bothered including any they were so bad
seriously I think the shock shaft was make of warm butter they bent so easily.

The DF-02 was also my 1st tamiya. In the pic I had the shocks off a Brama 10b which I eventually replaced with evader alum shocks

Name:	Om34534.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1756844  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM
The_Shark

well the hobby shop decided to foot the bill for the parts so, yay.

however the ABC hobby gt-430 body i bought is 190mm and for a F104 car[] so now im out money there, anyone want this body let me know
Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

It might fit on my F103. I'd be interested with more info
Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 PM
The_Shark

well i got the rims today, even with no body it handles great, however it had lots of over-steer and some stability issues no matter how i tweaked the rear pod, i noticed the front springs are very tight and figured instead of the front leaning to grip in a turn, they never compressed, this caused one front tire to leave the ground and the other to fold over on itself, so popped in some medium springs and now its nice and predictable.

normally stiff springs in the front means understeer- but i think this was a extreme case where this isn't true.

Settings so far - toe out less than 5deg total, rear pod- .5 turn out inner, 1.5 turn outer. damper- 30wt no spacer. Set to shortest wheel base, front set to low position, rear set to medium position

I want a body for this thing so i can really run it, it needs downforce.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 AM
DeltaOP

Love Tamiya.

The Hornet was my very first RC build. Around 1987 I believe.

Did a RC10 and a KyoshomUltima about 2 years later when I was in the Army in Germany. Mail ordered from Tower Hobbies.

I have not had a Tamiya for a while.

Maybe I need to get one again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.