Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Pistol grip vs. regular transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 PM
fun4oli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pistol grip vs. regular transmitter

I am a newbie to RC cars. I have a RTR Redcat Tornado.

I guess all RCcars come with pistol grips. However, I also fly RCplanes (currently all RTF) and eventually want to buy my own transmitter and have all new models be run via that transmitter.

So if I would buy a new car in the future, is it definitely much, much better to use a pistol grip transmitter for an RC car, or could I just as well use a regular transmitter with two x/y sticks?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:53 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pistol grip vs. regular transmitter

In my opinion, pistol grip transmitters feel more natural for surface use. You don't have to move your fingers too far when making snap maneuvers.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

In my opinion, pistol grip transmitters feel more natural for surface use. You don't have to move your fingers too far when making snap maneuvers.
agreed.
the only surface models that I would use a stick transmitter for would be a rock crawler...and only if it had extra stuff like a dig/winch/lockable diffs ect.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only use stick for tracked vehicles like tanks personally
Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

You need to be quick on surface, and the "pistol grip" provides that.While stick seems to provide more precision (to those who are adept with it), with surface you are constantly changing speed/direction. The pistol grip exponentiates the stick's ergonomic design.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:55 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pistol for sure for land machines, but i favor a long throw steering wheel and throttle trigger, it gives me better high speed control-ability, i usually run very fast models and 2WD rigs, transmitters like traxxas stock ones give WAY too little steering control, lock to lock is like 10degrees from center, my models are all over the road like that.

i grew up with nikko style transmitters, once i held a pistol grip remote i was hooked.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember when pistol grips first started appearing. In the UK not many people switched (you can still see national champions using sticks). In my personal opinion, you use sticks if you value throttle control over steering, and pistols if you value steering control over throttle control. The trigger is less accurate than a stick, but the wheel is more accurate than a stick. Both are fine, it's 100% personal preference. I switched to pistol years ago and would never go back to sticks.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 AM
nitrosteve22

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

i grew up with nikko style transmitters, once i held a pistol grip remote i was hooked.
x2! A buddy of mine still prefers the sticks and I can't figure that out lol.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Scottgir

definitely pistol grip.

To make it easier for transition. Instead of pointing it forward (think of gun pointing forward), point it to the right (assuming you're right handed). And then the steering wheel looks just like a steering wheel in front of you. The finger throttle will be natural and then with the wheel facing you, it'll feel "normal".

It's how I teach all my kids.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:27 PM
OvalRacer99

My first RCcar came with a dual stick transmiter and I could not get adapted to it. Went to a pistol grip and it was just a more natural feel.

Go with what works for you!!!