Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Please Help Me Get Started

Old 04-29-2012, 05:06 PM
-JBLKING-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Me Get Started

Hi, im considering picking up RC as a hobby once more. I need some advice for choosing a model that i can get started quickly and have years to come upgrading and having fun with.
Opinions and criticism is appreciated.
Models i was looking at
-Losi SCT
-HPI Bullet MT FLUX
-ECX Torment
- Traxxas Stampede XL-5
- Traxxas Slash 2WD
- HPI Blitz

Please recommend some models that match my requirements, out of your own personal experience.
Im looking for

-1/10 scale (more or less)
-2WD
-Electric
-RTR
-Truck Style (No stadium trucks, buggies, etc)
-Off road (Enough clearance)
-Water proof OR water resist
-Metal transmission and parts
-Compatible with a large selection of aftermarket parts
-Brushed or Brushless (Preferably brushless)
-I plan to stay away from LiPo Batteries

Thank you!

Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Please Help Me Get Started

I'm unaware if their is any RTR truck with tamyia connectors that are waterproof. A little soldering can do the trick. This is 4x4, a little pricey and uses 7 Cell batteries. But, you will have long years to come with this thing.

Good luck!
-collector
Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tamiya's connectors SUCK

It will melt with the newer higher powered ESC's
Hell it will melt on a brushed RC seeing they pull more power from when it was originally made.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 PM
-JBLKING-

ok thanks for the heads up, ive had experience with both deans and tamiya in airsoft gun building. I never had problems or foresaw problems for airsoft AEGs, maybe RCs are different...
Old 04-29-2012, 07:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

ok thanks for the heads up, ive had experience with both deans and tamiya in airsoft gun building. I never had problems or foresaw problems for airsoft AEGs, maybe RCs are different...
yes, RC's have far more amps going threw the connectors...especially brushless ones.

Your requirements sound like the traxxas stampede 2wd VXL would do the trick. 1/10, truck, metal trans gears, tons of aftermarket parts, brushless, waterproof. If money is an issue, the XL-5 brushed version will do the trick.

And why stay away from lipos? They are soo much better than nimh packs.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:05 AM
-JBLKING-

Yes, i noticed the mah on the batteries are larger. I will prob get into LiPos later, start with the NiMhs.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:18 AM
Foxy

Yes, i noticed the mah on the batteries are larger. I will prob get into LiPos later, start with the NiMhs.
Don't delay, the difference is night and day. Poetry unintentional.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 AM
-JBLKING-

I dont want to invest in a LiPo charger just yet, figure when i get into LiPos, it will be for both airsoft and RC.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 AM
-JBLKING-

is there a brushed version? just want to see my choices
Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some lipo charges are only $20 & free postage to USA

Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I dont want to invest in a LiPo charger just yet, figure when i get into LiPos, it will be for both airsoft and RC.
the lipo chargers cost the same (or in some cases cheaper) than the NiMh chargers, and can charge NiMh's and NiCd's
So IMO buy a lipo charger even if you aren't sure to go with lipos right away.

Also you can look at the EXC line
ruckus http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX2000
Torment http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX4000
or circuit http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX1100

Here are the Traxxas variants which are similar
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXNJJ0**&P=ML Stampede (seriously they raised it to $233 from $180????)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXZDB3**&P=ML Slash (again wow did they up the price)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXNJH9**&P=ML Rustler

Can't speak from personal experience on the ECX, but I've read good things about their durability, and if I had the room to store another RC I'd pick one up.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

plus one of these:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000-2s1p-40c-2222.html

Thats about $75 shipped for a good lipo charger and a lipo battery. That battery will get you 30+ minutes of runtime in most models, and that charger can charger the lipo in 1 hour.
You can spend the same amount on a decent nimh charger and 7cell battery...but not get the same performance.

The traxxas stampede comes in a brushed, and brushless version. If you can afford the brushless...its well worth the extra money.
The stampede also comes in monster jam form, with licensed monster truck bodies...if thats your thing.
XL-5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas-...item5ae46fc349
VXL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas-...item43aebaeb63

both versions are waterproof.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, get a generic charger, thats what i did, charges EVERYTHING (including my 1/1 car battery) i will never ever go back to nimh.

as for connectors, i suggest HXT connectors, they have a secure fitting, they are easy to pull apart (but not too easy) the handle GOBS of current, AND on ebay you can get a set of 10 for $12

soldering is not a joy, the best way to do it is to slip the connecter sleeve over the wire then with the brass bullets hold them with a vice grip, put them over a fire (like the stove or a torch) heat it up, put some solder in the hot bullet, heat again, and then quickly put the wire into the bullet and hold it till it cools then slide the connector sleeve up, when doing this on a battery, be sure to tape one battery lead to prevent shorts. (not my picture, im a better solderer than that.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55856.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1756967  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM
-JBLKING-

Thanks for the insight guys, but i definitley not going to go into soddering anytime soon, i avoid it in my AEGs as well. I just hard wire whenever i need to do some rewiring, not as durable and efficient tho. Traxxas and other models come with some decent connectors anyways. As for LiPos, i will still get into them later, when i get tired of NiMh performance. ive just started to get into MOSFETs,Then i can buy the charger and batteries together for both my hobbies. As of now, i have a Tenergy smart charger for my Ni batts.

Are there any SCT models that match my requirements? Just looking at different styles.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 AM
-JBLKING-

yea i noticed traxxas prices went up, right now im most interested in the Stampede XL-5 or the SCT
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 PM
-JBLKING-

Please help me make up my mind between

Traxxas Stampede XL-5

Traxxas Slash SCT 2wd

Losi Strike SCT
Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 PM
The_Shark

Please help me make up my mind between

Traxxas Stampede XL-5

Traxxas Slash SCT 2wd

Losi Strike SCT
losi...

HOWEVER i have heard nothing but good about ECX torment SC, that would be "my" choice, dynamite esc and motor- dynamite is good stuff, the truck has a high ground clearance and strong durable, narrow frame, plus its only $160 shipped.
Ps do NOT believe traxxas top speed ratings, NEVER base your decision on that.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:29 AM
-JBLKING-

im not so sure about the ECX brand, im most unfamiliar with that brand. If i get an SCT, i guess i wouldnt have to worry if it is waterproof or resistant. i figure i wouldnt go to those kinda conditions with an SCT. The waterproof addition is def a plus in the Traxxas slash tho.

I was looking at videos of the Stampede XL-5. Looks like it slides much and the handling isnt very realistic.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 AM
-JBLKING-

I was also looking at the HPI Blitz, the framehas many aluminum parts, appears very strong.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM
xplr50
Banned

<xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

Let's face it, there's not a boy or a fair few girls who haven't either played with or wanted to play with a remote controlled car, boat or plane and what father hasn't been drawn to the model department when considering Christmas presents for their offspring? This site attempts to explain the ins and outs of building your own. From the tools you need to tips and techniques. www.buildaremotecontrolcar.co.uk

Old 05-03-2012, 06:30 PM
-JBLKING-

Stop Spamming
ORIGINAL: xplr50

<xml><w:worddocument><w:view>Normal</w:view><w:zoom>0</w:zoom><wunctuationkerning></wunctuationkerning><w:validateagainstschemas></w:validateagainstschemas><w:saveifxmlinvalid>false</w:saveifxmlinvalid><w:ignoremixedcontent>false</w:ignoremixedcontent><w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext>false</w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext><w:compatibility><w:breakwrappedtables></w:breakwrappedtables><w:snaptogridincell></w:snaptogridincell><w:wraptextwithpunct></w:wraptextwithpunct><w:useasianbreakrules></w:useasianbreakrules><w:dontgrowautofit></w:dontgrowautofit></w:compatibility><w:browserlevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:browserlevel></w:worddocument></xml><xml><w:latentstyles deflockedstate="false" latentstylecount="156"></w:latentstyles></xml><style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

Let's face it, there's not a boy or a fair few girls who haven't either played with or wanted to play with a remote controlled car, boat or plane and what father hasn't been drawn to the model department when considering Christmas presents for their offspring? This site attempts to explain the ins and outs of building your own. From the tools you need to tips and techniques. www.buildaremotecontrolcar.co.uk

Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM
The_Shark

I was also looking at the HPI Blitz, the frame has many aluminum parts, appears very strong.
The Torment was rated by a magazine (it can be found online) it's supposed to be VERY durable, traxxas is flat out over-rated, hpi makes good stuff too, but i would still put my chips on the ECX, its a new brand but seeing one up close im sold, VERY good plastics and dynamite electronics are great.

just because something is new and cheap doesn't mean its bad, more than not its cheap because they have less marketing costs, this is why you spend so much for traxxas but don't get your money's worth.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 PM
-JBLKING-

yea, im feeling unfamiliar with the new brand, i wonder how the aftermarket is for that brand. Doesnt have too many perks, guess i have to read more reviews.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Phoenix XB Racer

yea, im feeling unfamiliar with the new brand, i wonder how the aftermarket is for that brand. Doesnt have too many perks, guess i have to read more reviews.
There are not many aftermarket parts for the Torment, butit's already decent stock. If you want a truck to hop up, the Slash and SC10 probably have the most available upgrades.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 PM
The_Shark

9/10 aftermarket parts and upgrades are JUNK JUNK JUNK, the only thing that's decent is RPM and they are a plastics manufacture.

DO NOT buy a car because of a aftermarket availability, it shows that the car has weak spots that you would hope to fix with aluminum but only makes it worse.

OFNA makes some of the most durable machines on the market, they have almost 0 aftermarket parts, they are so well designed and made you simply don't need them, even RPM is unneeded.

The game is still the same, i started 17 years ago so i know a thing or two about aftermarket "goodies" and pricing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.