Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Please help me Identify this Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 PM
1982josh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me Identify this Buggy

About 10 years ago I recieved a broken RC dune buggy. It is all metal construction with a rear mounted engine and a 4 to 1 all metal tranny. the markings on the tires and body and tranny all say "Pacific O".

any help with where this came from, the company history, the year model of the car would be greatly appreciated. I have put a new longer tranny driveshaft, and disk brake off an hpi beater i had laying around. the engine is an asp .30 4 stroke and i have an rbi inovations supercharger i want to put on also, it was the whole reason i bought a 4 stroke to begin with. Im putting in a futaba radio and guts also. thanks guys for the help in advance.

maybe more pics? I was in a hurry last night. More info and pics. the front and rear arms are an independant swing arm style. with dual front swing arms and a single rear swingarm that is also connected to the tranny via what im only guessing is a set of sway bars. I have 2 of the original shocks but the need to be rebuilt so i pushed out the swivels on a set of hpi shocks and am running them. Its hard to think this was a rare or one off car being that the tires are good year and have the company logo on them. Maybe a promotional car? Its strange that it is geared to run an airplane engine as opposed to a cars 1 to 1 gear ratio. Im pretty sure the tranny contains an LSD. it sat in a box with rat droppings in my shed for nearly 10 yrs as i played with cheap redcat and hpi cars stripping plastic gears and blowing out whole cars against curbs and trees. Now im older and wiser, with the knowledge to fix it, andthe understanding of value to not tear it up.

I am currently in the process of getting it running so alot of the parts for it are off. I will update the pics as it comes together. thank you
Old 05-12-2012, 05:32 AM
1982josh

Default RE: Please help me Identify this Buggy

I may be thankful enough for the info to provide a reward.... say an OS .40 or a super tiger .21, something along those lines..... Please lol.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

frame rails and rear mounted engine look like a kyosho.  but i can't remember the model...
Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 AM
1982josh

not a kyosho, but they are similar... nice try, but the raer trailing arms are different and so are the fronts. thanks tho.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 AM
cumquat

quick google search revealed: it's a bluebird Conqueror. i see what you mean about the arms, the kyosho has straight arms whereas the bluebird has bent arms.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that thing is so cool, love the scale front suspension
Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is the set of holes on the frame rails (under the front shocks) for a plate to mount a steering servo? Do the front tires even turn, I cant see steerable hubs in the pics.

Its a very cool looking setup. Id love to see a video once its running....especially since its a 4 stroke motor.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Needs a baja bug body on it, it has the suspension setup of one. Very cool indeed. I love old cars like that!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took some finger work... but it's a [link=http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19759&start=15]Bluebird Conqueror[/link].

I could use that .40... I have an airboat that needs a new engine.

Edit, DAMMIT... too late.

Oh well.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM
1982josh

we have a winner... awesome this thing has been eating at me. The prize was a valid claim so if you like cumquat let me know if you would like one of the engines i listed, they are airplane engines. the super tiger is complete. the os 40 is in brand new condition but is just a case and i have some of the parts new such as piston, ring, shaft ect. new in the packages but i may not have a shaft. thank you all and i will update the pics once its done.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 AM
1982josh

ps i have the front steering arm plate off at the moment, the car is 90% original and complete but im doing some updating of it. thanks for the comments and help again
Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM
1982josh

Hold the phones, we dont have a winner. It is actually a pacific sidewinder seen later in the link post.... hmmmmmm

Old 05-15-2012, 02:32 PM
cumquat

the irony is that's the same damn thread i found. i didnt want one of the engines anyway, i dont have a plane!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:06 PM
1982josh

lol, well since you led me to the discovery i have a nice set of blue anodized aluminum 5 spoke mag wheels for a 1/10 rc... if you want em pm me and ill send em to ya. it was a big help being pointed in the right direction.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 PM
1982josh

and proanti1 im not really using the 40 and im pretty sure its 100% there, i havent read the rules on selling here yet, but im pretty sure i could post pics of what i have and you could make an offer..... ive been thinking about getting an airboat to play with on my tank from time to time.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 AM
cumquat

i dont need anything, i just enjoy helping people. the more obscure rc's i learn about, the more i have to collect!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 AM
1982josh

obscure huh lol, I have some one off bi planes from way back that were my grandfathers freinds planes. the cars are cool but the real art was in creating one off working planes from balsa sticks...IMHO. Im just happy I have an original picture to go by to fully restore it to close to original..... but the supercharged 4 stroke and disk brake were a must. For those interested the fix was a longer tranny drive shaft and the dogbone drives off an HPI stadium truck, One i ground down to the flat of the center cut and welded to the bell housing while it was attachhed to the old drive shaft so as to maintain the centering in the shaft but to make it removable and able to be fitted to the new shaft. then i welded the bellhousing from the hpi truck inside the original bellhousing. now i can use a current clutch, Im sure i will need a lighter cluch spring or have to lighten this one. the engine shaft was shortened at the nut and the fly wheel pins were removed and drilled into the asp .30 4 strokes original prop plate then re pinned and bolted via the shortened shaft. the disk brakes are still to come using a couple peices of aluminum plate and some square stock aluminum. then im gonna go for a test drive lol....

P.S. the front and back attachments on the drive shaft cured the wobble in the gears inside the tranny... Im not sure if someone tried poorly to fix my car but the gears from the drive gear would move slightly and had me worried they may strip.. this firmly secures the shaft between both bearings.

did this thing originally have any brakes???? i cant find much at all about any of the 2 other similar cars and only one little post about this one.... lol

thanks again everyone!