Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Inherited Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 AM
Bielzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inherited Cars

Hello everyone! I am new to the RC Car world, but I would love to get into it! I recently inherited 3 RC cars and would like to know about them. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it! I have what I think are the following cars:

Traxxas Jato 7075-T6 (Says Jato 3.3 on the bodies I have for it)
OFNA MBX R2
Kyosho Rampage 10

Iwas looking into possibly converting either the Traxxas or the OFNAto electric, but I am not sure how to go about doing that. Any suggestions on either which one would be the best for that and also where Imay be able to find out how to do that?Thanks!

The first pic is the Kyosho, second is the OFNA, and the third is the Traxxas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92157.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1772203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95832.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1772204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51352.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1772205  
Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Inherited Cars

My advice here is pretty much the same as it was on RCG.

Sell all three and buy one new one.  It's easier to learn when you are starting with a new one that works properly.

Even if these trucks were owned by someone who took care of them properly, they are still 6 or 7 years old.  Something will always need repair or replacement on a vehicle that old.  It might be somewhat easier to keep up with the Jato, since that is a pretty common truck.  The OFNA and Kyosho may not be, because those are not as widely known.

I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying that it could potentially be a more frustrating path to take.  You'll definitely learn a lot, no matter which way you go.  I just think you should enjoy running your truck as much as working on it. It would be a shame to see you get out of the hobby because your first experiences were "constant repair and troubleshooting" experiences.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:14 AM
Bielzebub

LaTuFu, Thanks for the insight again! I spoke with one of the local RC groups and they suggested I post it on here as well as RCG, so I figured I would give it a shot. What's a good recomendation on a starter electric buggy?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:00 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want to convert one the Ofna ultra MBX would probably be the easiest out of the 3
http://rc-monster.com/proddetail.php...CMcrbuggymount motor mount (servo tray included doesn't fit)
will need to buy 2 battery trays, or make one
Old 06-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Bielzebub

thanks for the info. I have been debating on weather or not to do a conversion or to just sell them all and start fresh. I think that I just need to learn a little more about them before I start working a conversion... Oh yeah, what's a good motor to power a 4wd thing like this?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Kyosho Rampage is more like 15-20 years old! I have a Kyosho Rampage Pro that I know is over 15 years old and it was the replacement for the original Rampage!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Bielzebub

Wanna buy it for parts?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Bielzebub

LaTuFu, Thanks for the insight again! I spoke with one of the local RC groups and they suggested I post it on here as well as RCG, so I figured I would give it a shot. What's a good recomendation on a starter electric buggy?
There are a few that would be great starters. They are durable, parts are easy to get, and they are easy to work on.

HPIVorza Flux
Thunder Tiger EB4-G3
OFNA LX2E

They were listed in no particular order.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Bielzebub

Are those RTR? Also I found out that the local RC Car club / race track only races Stadium Trucks, so if I want to get into the racing scene like I do, apparently they only do the electric ST.... Again, any suggestions? I have been researching them a lot today, but I can't really seem to get a good solid "Hey, this is one of the best for indoor track racing" answers, all I get are posts from a few years back of outdated ST that are no longer in production or 1001 different "this one is great,""no this one is better," "no yours sucks, mine is better!" Also IDK about buying a used one just because I don't know what the motor is like, and I have heard and seen that a good one isn't going to be cheap!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Are those RTR? Also I found out that the local RC Car club / race track only races Stadium Trucks, so if I want to get into the racing scene like I do, apparently they only do the electric ST.... Again, any suggestions? I have been researching them a lot today, but I can't really seem to get a good solid ''Hey, this is one of the best for indoor track racing'' answers, all I get are posts from a few years back of outdated ST that are no longer in production or 1001 different ''this one is great,'' ''no this one is better,'' ''no yours sucks, mine is better!'' Also IDK about buying a used one just because I don't know what the motor is like, and I have heard and seen that a good one isn't going to be cheap!
wow stadium trucks only? I hear most tracks ignore that class completely (unless that's why they do it). and due to no one really racing ST's you don't have that many options cause companies dropped the lines. SCT's are what pretty much replaced ST's

umm the HPI Firestorm from what I read is a decent truck, as I can't think of very many ST's even might want to go to the track, and ask around what they use.
The ECX Circuit, and traxxas rustler are the only 2 I can honestly think of outside the firestorm, but from what I read the firestorm is probably the more race worthy out of the 3.

Just remembered there is the Bullet ST flux 4wd BL Stadium truck, but I would check 1st if they allow it though.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
RockstarCK

Are those RTR? Also I found out that the local RC Car club / race track only races Stadium Trucks, so if I want to get into the racing scene like I do, apparently they only do the electric ST.... Again, any suggestions? I have been researching them a lot today, but I can't really seem to get a good solid ''Hey, this is one of the best for indoor track racing'' answers, all I get are posts from a few years back of outdated ST that are no longer in production or 1001 different ''this one is great,'' ''no this one is better,'' ''no yours sucks, mine is better!'' Also IDK about buying a used one just because I don't know what the motor is like, and I have heard and seen that a good one isn't going to be cheap!
From what I've seen, I would never expect to get a clear-cut, hands-down "favorite" from multiple people. Somebody will always swear by one brand/model, and the next person will insult that and tell you what their opinion is. That just seems to be the nature of the hobby.

As SyCo said, stadium truck classes seem to be completely disappearing. It might not be a bad idea to talk to somebody at the track and see if they would allow a short course truck to run with the stadium trucks. Maybe that's a silly question - I don't have any experience with SCT, so there might be some serious competitive advantages and that's why they don't race together in the first place, but if they'd allow it then you could get a more popular model and still get to run at the track. From what I know about ST and SCT, one of the biggest difference is SCT have the ability to rub and bang around in the corners while the open wheels on ST aren't as forgiving for physical driving. Might be worth a shot anyway. Feel free to put me in my place if I'm way out off.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No insult intended, but are you sure they did not mean short course trucks instead of stadium. That is the popular class right now that is why I am asking.

Good luck
Old 06-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Bielzebub

I was mistaken, they did mean Short Course Trucks. Sorry about the confusion!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

jammin SCRT10 or the Ofna Nexx 10SC(the same RC just different front arms) if they have 4wd. Be warned those are kits that need the electronics.
if 2wd Blitz is alright
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Bielzebub

Ok, so I have been debating back and forth for the past couple of days. I think that I may tinker with a couple of these, trying to sell the Traxxas because it's worth the most of the three. Either way I go, I also have like 30 some R/C gliders and planes that I am going to sell and get an electric. I am kind of looking at the SCRT10 and the Traxxas Rustler. Which version of the SCRT10 I don't know yet, but I know there are a few. I think I am leaning more toward the Rustler just because it's a little cheaper so I may be able to put more $$ into upgrades when I am ready. Also thinking that Iam going to try an RTR when Ido to save a little money as well. Any suggestions? Also, what's a good remote and receiver to start out with that's not ridiculously expensive? I have a Spektrum DX3 (not 3.0, just 3) but I am not sure if any of the newer receivers will work with it. Any suggestions?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Ok, so I have been debating back and forth for the past couple of days. I think that I may tinker with a couple of these, trying to sell the Traxxas because it's worth the most of the three. Either way I go, I also have like 30 some R/C gliders and planes that I am going to sell and get an electric. I am kind of looking at the SCRT10 and the Traxxas Rustler. Which version of the SCRT10 I don't know yet, but I know there are a few. I think I am leaning more toward the Rustler just because it's a little cheaper so I may be able to put more $$ into upgrades when I am ready. Also thinking that I am going to try an RTR when I do to save a little money as well. Any suggestions? Also, what's a good remote and receiver to start out with that's not ridiculously expensive? I have a Spektrum DX3 (not 3.0, just 3) but I am not sure if any of the newer receivers will work with it. Any suggestions?
Rustler is a stadium truck

Jammin SCRT10 IMO is better quality for the money and its only sold as a kit
had a slash 4x4 (one of traxxas's short course), and honestly I'd say I was disappointed in it
Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Bielzebub

Thanks for the heads up SyCo. I was kind of on the fence about the Traxxas, but was leaning more toward the SCRT10. Will take that into consideration!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:52 PM
jatolover20

hi u have some nice rc cars i have a traxxas jato and a chaes of a Kyosho
Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I have heard mixed reviews about the OFNA and Jammin, trucks, both rave and both horrible, depends on who you ask. What is the budget you are looking to work with?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:46 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

I have heard mixed reviews about the OFNA and Jammin, trucks, both rave and both horrible, depends on who you ask. What is the budget you are looking to work with?
This threads from a couple months ago.. just a wierd bump up there ^^

Old 08-02-2012, 02:25 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Ahhh my mistake, I never even noticed the new guy resurrecting old stuff [&:]

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

This threads from a couple months ago.. just a wierd bump up there ^^

Old 08-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Bielzebub

Lol, it's ok that it's a couple months old! I actually just picked up an SCTE roller. Need some electrics for it though.... Anyone have anything decent for it they would like to sell?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:32 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Check the marketplace, no sales or wants out here from I understand

Lol, it's ok that it's a couple months old! I actually just picked up an SCTE roller. Need some electrics for it though.... Anyone have anything decent for it they would like to sell?