Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Worst Hobby Grade Rc you've ever owned?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Worst Hobby Grade Rc you've ever owned?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:19 AM
whoopee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Worst Hobby Grade Rc you've ever owned?

dang piece of crap Trinity NEXT stripped rear diff first run best i remember trinity sent me 2 new metal geared diffs stripped them servo went out real soon after that just a piece of crap and now you cant even get stuff from trinity for this truck anymore and that is the worst rc i have ever had.

Whoopee
Old 06-24-2012, 07:25 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

i had about 10 trucks, and the e-maxx was the worst of them.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kyosho Raider. Could never get the set screws for the suspension pins tight enough without stripping them. Lots of other problems too, but hunting down those pins when they fell out was most annoying for me.

I loved my Tmaxx 2.5, for the first 3 gallons anyway. After that I started pushing it harder and the couple basic upgrades weren't cutting it anymore. Yup gallons 4 and beyond got expensive with aluminum bulks, towers, rpm and well you know how Maxx trucks tend to spiral out of control.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Maj_Overdrive

Kyosho Raider. Could never get the set screws for the suspension pins tight enough without stripping them. Lots of other problems too, but hunting down those pins when they fell out was most annoying for me.

I loved my Tmaxx 2.5, for the first 3 gallons anyway. After that I started pushing it harder and the couple basic upgrades weren't cutting it anymore. Yup gallons 4 and beyond got expensive with aluminum bulks, towers, rpm and well you know how Maxx trucks tend to spiral out of control.
Ohh I forgot that one. I had an Outlaw Raider, that was definately the worst one I've had.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: whoopee

dang piece of crap Trinity NEXT stripped rear diff first run best i remember trinity sent me 2 new metal geared diffs stripped them servo went out real soon after that just a piece of crap and now you cant even get stuff from trinity for this truck anymore and that is the worst rc i have ever had.

Whoopee
forgot about that, I take it back the NEXT WAS the worst car I ever had, pullstart, diffs (even metal), servo, shocks everything.

I went through 3 metal diffs with 1 tank ONE TANK!!! piece of junk.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:57 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Revo back when they first started putting the 3.3 in it. I never could keep the drivetrain together on that peice of crap. IMO the Revo is the most over rated model produced. the vehicle is way too complicated for what it does in the attempt to look "cool". My Tmaxx was even worse. I had to upgrade EVERYTHING on the truck to make even remotely reliable. full RPM, all metal drivetrain, aluminum tranny and diff cases etc. When the engine was running well I could never get the shift point to remain consistant. I have owned other traxxas vehicals as well and I will never own another (unless it was free!).

Great thread BTW!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 PM
bigfoot3387
My Feedback: (48)

i cant really comment about one but iv owned some traxxas cars and trucks and most were a disappointment i get one here and there,to see if it has improved,still not reliable,i ust to race my savage with the revoes and maxxas and would get laughed at but when they were caring there hi priced junk of and my savage was still rolling and placing good,id get to laugh at them
Old 06-25-2012, 02:13 AM
On2_n_On4

ORIGINAL: ejc34710

Traxxas T-Maxx. Absolute junk imo...

strong words but... same opinion here, overpriced junk. [:@]
I had the first gen tmaxx and currently have a 3.3 maxx.
I also have a 3.3 revo. they are nice trucks, they handle great, and they take more beating (moded or out of the box) than a tmaxx
but I really can't see where the $579 price tag comes from. (5309 @ my lhs) maybe it is just me [&:]
Thats why I didnt spend a single dime on them this time... they were trades for old subs and amp that I stopped using and were collecting dust in my garage for 4 years. (first used rc's in 25 years)
Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 AM
djyjrlz

Schumacher rascal has to get my vote, the engine was a thunder tiger 18, but the pullstart was schumachers own. so they were expensive/unique/awful. as well as it having a ball diff that just wouldn't stay smooth. and the leakiest shocks. also the exhaust came leaky from the factory. 

second has to go to its bigger brother, the havoc. with this car the engine was the sweetest. and the chassis was near indestructible. but the body mounts were very brittle and it only fitted Schumachers wheel/tyre combos. which isn't any fun when they supply them glued with no foams. and it shared the awful ball diff system with the rascal, which is never a good plan on an off road truck. 

but, both of these cars were taken to hell and back and are two of the most fun cars i have ever driven. props to schumacher on design, but not so much on materials or build quality. 
Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 AM
773W
My Feedback: (1)

Worst I'v owned to date, (and still own for some reason) would be the Mimi LST. Broken parts and bad luck with the elecs....I mean not like all the others were perfect, but this one has been the worst!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Eman77

I might have to cast my vote for the E-Savage. I bought it used, but with stock motors on 4s I was warping outdrives rather easily (running HPI tires that were too heavy). I ended up going brushless and upgrading part after part (outdrives, center driveshafts, diffs, HD slipper) after things broke easily. I even made a custom all metal gear center tranny for it, since I shredded multiple stock ones. It was just a nightmare in wrench time and $$ for upgrades. And getting to the diffs (which I had to so many times) was really annoying with the TVP design.

Granted, I likely put in too much motor for it to handle, but it was the most frustrating RC experience I've had. What a massive waste of time and $$ for me.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 PM
thercholic

Any Duratrax nitro. Never owned Redcat, Exceed, or XTM, but make sure you can get the parts before you come to my store and complain about what to do with it now.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 PM
kaiser01

hpi cup racer, fragile pos. it was fun to build but while i was building it i kept saying to myself "this thing is going to break, and break fast"

and it did, first battery pack, driving mildly i clipped a pipe, ripped the front hinge pin mount out of the car, got it back together and the same thing happend.
trying to tune the suspension was a nightmare, especially with the inboard shock layout. the arm mounts are weak, the axle cups are weak, the plastic in general is very weak.

i sold it to a friend, he knew of all the issues, and i'll never buy and hpi again.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

hpi cup racer, fragile pos. it was fun to build but while i was building it i kept saying to myself ''this thing is going to break, and break fast''

and it did, first battery pack, driving mildly i clipped a pipe, ripped the front hinge pin mount out of the car, got it back together and the same thing happend.
trying to tune the suspension was a nightmare, especially with the inboard shock layout. the arm mounts are weak, the axle cups are weak, the plastic in general is very weak.

i sold it to a friend, he knew of all the issues, and i'll never buy and hpi again.
read about that one, but at least you got to clip a pip to do damage if it was the Brama the rear end would have snapped off before you got to do that even

Yea HPI dropped in quality only thing I think they still make that's good is the savage line, but that has only had minor updates for the most part over the years. Their newer designs I find they are screwing up on.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Foxy

My cup racer is a drifter, never hit anything more than 5mph, no problems so far. lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 PM
tolofrhr

I have 2 worsts! Duratrax RTX-27. Never could get it to run right. #qts of fuel and the engine is worn out... Runs for a little while but after it gets hot... Nothing till it cools off again. And second as much as I love the Losi Mini LST I HATE the servos and ESC! Servos break if you fart on it and the ESC has direction delay and LiPO cut off that you can't defeat![:@]
On more I just thought about.... About a year ago I bought a HSP 1/8 brushless short course truck... Got a hella good deal.... Damn thing breaks just about every time I drive it. When it runs it's great. But doesn't take much to make it stop running...
Old 06-26-2012, 01:22 AM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

brushed 2wd slash.  the only rc i ever got around to selling.  i just didn't like driving it.  but nothing wrong with the revos or traxxas in my book.  nevertheless, the posters here DID sound like they have real reasons not to like traxxas.  i'm not arguing with them.  my experience was different, but i don't bash up my rc's. 
Old 06-26-2012, 05:14 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my worst r/c.... HBX Bonzer, i think Ive killed every possible tamiya upgrade diff out there in it and have striped the axles countless times, had problems with the king pins falling out... maby I shouldof left it stock...

Then

Now, In a past life it was a Tamiya TL01b clone, need to get some new pics but its 4 wheel steered now (even more thing to fail lol)

Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a little tougher than the best car thread as there are some really bad cars out there.

For me Tge original E-Maxx and the original SC10 would tie for worst car with old Hirobo celica a close second place
Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 AM
supertib

for me it was the T-Maxx...........followed closely by the Revo.......... both massive money pits

Savage was decent....but was a pile of maintenance and the drivetrain kept breaking.........had a crappy fuel tank, crappy throttle linkage..... it was impact tough, but mechanically goofy.........so it hits the list as well.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 AM
DarkFire989

CEN GST. I could not have that motor run right for the life of me.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:09 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

my worst r/c.... HBX Bonzer, i think Ive killed every possible tamiya upgrade diff out there in it and have striped the axles countless times, had problems with the king pins falling out... maby I shouldof left it stock...

Then

Now, In a past life it was a Tamiya TL01b clone, need to get some new pics but its 4 wheel steered now (even more thing to fail lol)

Tupperware waterproofing?? your good
Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey don't knock, it works a treat, doesn't really need the lid on the bottom, the traped air keeps the water out
Old 06-28-2012, 06:02 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: rcbasher123

For me it was the Savage XS. nothing but trouble, first thing I had to do was re-bind the reciever to the transmitter right out of the box then on my second run the pinion came loose so I had to get to the pinion and add some thread locker, getting to the pinon took ages because this truck has everything tucked away and hard to get to and then when i finally got the pinon sorted out the esc died and it needed a new one, 3 runs after I got the new esc for some strange reason the wire for the reciever broke and I don'r even know how or why that one happened and HPI would not replace the reciever as the did for my esc so I had to buy a new one of those. I would complain about the servo but not many rtr rcs have great servos so I guess I can give it a pass on that one. All in all it was just broken all the time and not from me abusing it, I can deal with something breaking because of what I did but this thing would break just becuase it wanted to. I had fun when it worked but for me my mini e-revo was and is much more reliable.
to be fair the pinion on the RTR's I've seen all have to be thread locked.

now the wire for the RX that broke was it the antenna? if so it probably got caught on something. I can't fault HPI on that.

as for the ESC yea its HPI's fault they use castle's ESC's which are not up to the task, but at least they replaced it

and agree servos on RTR's are complete crap the one that came on on my 1/8th scale buggy for steering had issues trying to turn the wheels on a stampede which weighed like 1/4th the weight.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM
rcbasher123
Banned

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: rcbasher123

For me it was the Savage XS. nothing but trouble, first thing I had to do was re-bind the reciever to the transmitter right out of the box then on my second run the pinion came loose so I had to get to the pinion and add some thread locker, getting to the pinon took ages because this truck has everything tucked away and hard to get to and then when i finally got the pinon sorted out the esc died and it needed a new one, 3 runs after I got the new esc for some strange reason the wire for the reciever broke and I don'r even know how or why that one happened and HPI would not replace the reciever as the did for my esc so I had to buy a new one of those. I would complain about the servo but not many rtr rcs have great servos so I guess I can give it a pass on that one. All in all it was just broken all the time and not from me abusing it, I can deal with something breaking because of what I did but this thing would break just becuase it wanted to. I had fun when it worked but for me my mini e-revo was and is much more reliable.
to be fair the pinion on the RTR's I've seen all have to be thread locked.

now the wire for the RX that broke was it the antenna? if so it probably got caught on something. I can't fault HPI on that.

as for the ESC yea its HPI's fault they use castle's ESC's which are not up to the task, but at least they replaced it

and agree servos on RTR's are complete crap the one that came on on my 1/8th scale buggy for steering had issues trying to turn the wheels on a stampede which weighed like 1/4th the weight.
I heard that alot of people have had the problem with the pinion, I don't know why they didn't add thread locker when they were being made at HPI but i do know that i didn't enjoy trying to find and fix the problem on my brand new car. The wire on the RX was the antenna wire and it broke maybe 2 or 3 inches away from the RX box so it was't because of me, I think it got caught up in something spinning inside the car. It was good of HPI to replace the ESC but i still would rather it had worked and it wasn't sitting in my room not working for a 3 weeks. I've driven my mini e-revo countless times and all i have broken is one diff and since i fixed that nothing has broken. I still like my Savage XS, I just don't drive it much because I'm worried it will break.