Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What's the BEST hobby grade RC you've ever owned?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What's the BEST hobby grade RC you've ever owned?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 AM
rcbasher123
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the BEST hobby grade RC you've ever owned?

So that other thread about your worst RC is a good read but it left me wondering what most people consider to be the best RC they have ever owned. I'm not really interested in what you want to own, only what you yourself have owned and what made it the best for you. So what's the BEST hobby grade RC you've ever owned and why?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:36 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What's the BEST hobby grade RC you've ever owned?

Meh, piece of cake, anything by Xray. Can't be touched for quality.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 AM
cumquat

tough to say. i've owned a few different chassis and none of them were truly bad but the one i had the most fun with would have to be the tamiya df02. i've owned 2 of them, the gravel hound (the first one, destroyed it) and the plasma edge. the kits are virtually identical with the exception of the body. they will take a beating and come back for more. you can throw massive tires on it and take it anywhere or use the stock tires for some fun on gravel. it was my first actual kit and i had fun with it in brushed form, and they are insane with bl/lipo. i really should get a new motor/esc for the plasma...
Old 06-26-2012, 04:23 AM
rcbasher123
Banned

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Is there an Xray model in particular that you like the most? Do they make an electric truggy or anything suited to bashers like say a monster truck? I have heard of Xray once but what I heard was they made stuff mainly for racers.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't say some of the xray touring car chassis would be very durable fr street bashing?

Most reliable car I've owned, no kidding HPI E10, never had any problems what so ever... Maby it's luck or maby it's because it was upgraded from day 1, never broken a single thing on it, have cracked the chassis from a hard crash tho

Favorite car.... Losi 5ive, for the price, I have to like it.

Most used car.... Losi micro SCT, weather iis not the best here ATM, bring on summer!!!

*PS thats the first time ive posted a pic of myself on this forum, hope my face does not offend anyone.... lol
Come on dont be shy... What do u look like????
Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My favorite cars to run are still my old school tamiyas. There will always be a place for the hoppers and hornets. NO they don't handle we'll but that's the point. Just plain fun and simple.

Most reliable by far is my stampede. I have a couple of them for myself and one for the kid. My basher that I carry with me is a old black chassis that has vxl gears and carriers and a S600 for power. I carry it with me. In the truck and run it whenever I have a chance. It has well over 1000 runs. The only thing I've ever broke are one rear arm, a couple of stub shafts and few spur gears. Otherwise it's been flawless. The kids is a pede I built from parts. Basically all stock except for 32p gears and 6 in imex tires. It's been through a few motor as the lid had learned to control it. We started with a crawler motor and it's currently running an S600. He's run that truck for almost 4 yrs without breaking it.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:37 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: rcbasher123

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Is there an Xray model in particular that you like the most? Do they make an electric truggy or anything suited to bashers like say a monster truck? I have heard of Xray once but what I heard was they made stuff mainly for racers.
Yeh, they're a thorobred racing company I'm afraid. But that doesn't mean their stuff can't be bashed The great off road models are the XB808e (electric 1/8th buggy) XB9 (nitro 1/8th buggy), XT8 (nitro 1/8th truggy), M18T (electric 1/18th truck, has a pro version all carbon fiber), most of the rest of their lineup is purebred racing cars that can only really be run on a track. Of course they aren't cheap compared to things that are designed as 'just' bashers, but they are much higher performance and more durable. I have plans to buy another XT8 (I had one when they first came out, amazing car) and convert it to electric. It will be my finest creation to date (nearly 30 years in the hobby), so I guess since I chose that platform to do it, the XT8 would have to be my favorite. I really love my M18T pro though, it's an awesome little car and it makes the girls say 'ooooh, isn't it SWEEEET!', then when they see it go, they're like 'omg', cos it'll hit 60 in about 2 seconds. lol. Here're some pics of the little tyke

Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there can be only one:

and all it's decendents, including the b4.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cumquat

tough to say. i've owned a few different chassis and none of them were truly bad but the one i had the most fun with would have to be the tamiya df02. i've owned 2 of them, the gravel hound (the first one, destroyed it) and the plasma edge. the kits are virtually identical with the exception of the body. they will take a beating and come back for more. you can throw massive tires on it and take it anywhere or use the stock tires for some fun on gravel. it was my first actual kit and i had fun with it in brushed form, and they are insane with bl/lipo. i really should get a new motor/esc for the plasma...
pretty much same for me.I got RC's that the ESC, and motor cost 3X more than the DF-02 kit, and still find the DF-02 to be probably one of the most fun out of my RC's

Now for durability I'd say my savage X, and Jammin X1 CR seeing those haven't broke any of the parts of the RC.(savage did destroy its old AM receiver, and an engine though [:@])
Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My first Losi LST2 for me. Approaching six years old, and still kicking. Has just been very good to me, even though the reverse is not necessarily the case. My second LST2, bought a couple years later, has not been as problem-free, for whatever reason..

Also very good were my Losi Muggy and Team Associated RC8(first version) - both bought used.

And finally, a Kyosho FW-05T, which put up with ten times as much as I ever expected.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a tough question either a Mugen MBX5T or Brushless converted 8ight-T 2.0 or a brushless converted 8ight-B 2.0. I guess any of the 1/8 scale buggies or truggies since they really are all so similar in design. Once you add brushless to the mix thing really start to get fun! A 6s buggy will put a huge smile on your face!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Ttowntoolman

RC-10 GT All time favorite!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Eman77

Tough one. My DT-02 never gives me any issues, and is quite reliable (granted, I'm not running big power through it, but still...). So I'm always real happy with that one.

But the TRF 801xt always brings the biggest smile to my face when I run it, and it's quite trouble-free too. I'll have to vote for that one.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
docbrew

+1 for this! I haven't seen one of those since I built my first on back in 1987.

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

there can be only one:

and all it's decendents, including the b4.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

Ive got a 1982 Kyosho Icarus and and Tamiya 1979 Sand Scorcher ( excellent condition ) as vintage shelf models.

but my BEST rc would have to be my Spark jet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47471.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1775969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15106.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	1775970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98356.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1775971  
Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 PM
rcbasher123
Banned

These responses are super. I'm loving the pics on this thread as well. Keep them coming.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 PM
ElectricGuy007

Probably my SC10. Next would be my Tamiya 501x Worlds Edition and then my TA05.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Bamafever
My Feedback: (2)

Hot bodies lsp or savage 25
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM
SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

there can be only one:

and all it's decendents, including the b4. [img][/img]
THIS, including the RC10GT.. or three that I have.

Been racing a Hot Bodies D8T for the last year and this thing is insane!!!
(knocks on wood again, been bragging too much)
HB D8T wins over the RC10GT, bar none as far as abuse.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Well, the HPI Savage XL has taken some insane abuse as well, beats the RC10GT, but not on the level of the HB D8T.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:47 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Can't say some of the xray touring car chassis would be very durable fr street bashing?
Sorry PH, didn't notice this til now. I'll put up any Xray on-road against any other on-road car on the market for durability. The Xrays (NT1 and T3, the flagship models) are 'apocalypse ready', I kid you not. I crashed my NT1 so hard in practice at the end of the straight at about 50mph, that it flew over the 5 foot boundary fence of the track and bounced down the mountain (not far of course)...damage was 1 foam tire and a totally wrecked body. Not even the suspension geometry was out of alignment. I probably got lucky, but to be honest, everyone around here was running that car and I never heard of anyone breaking anything but belts, or throwing the lower rear shock spring retainers (mine did that once in the middle of a race and I finished the race 7th with only one rear shock absorber, the suspension was holding on by the ARB. lol. Serious cars, make no mistake; they cane everything else on the market in terms of materials, fit and finish, which are of course, the two most important variables when it comes to durability). As I've stated many times, the Xray advantage (materials, fit and finish) may not necessarily make you faster on a track, but they sure are works of art and a joy to build, and they ride as good as anything else out there.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:48 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dammm lol
im getting these crazy images or this car flying over the fence and down a cliff... lol that would of been a great gopro moment.

The more I think about the more it makes sence, there carbon fiber chassis would have to be stronger than the alloy and plastic chassis out there.
and im only assuming they use a less brittle plastic for suspension arms? maby like the RPM plastic?
I think it was last year neer the start of the year Rc action had a big review/wright up on the T3... must admit very impressive chassis.

This is the closest thing I own to anything that resembles a race chassis, It can be ran with stick or saddle packs, The alloy bulkheads can be replaced with graphite but to costly these days
Its a vary rare Hobao Hyper 10e

Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 AM
Foxy

I love that car, I was looking for one a long time ago. I was told they make stunning drifters.

It may interest you to know that xray also does a fiber version of the T3 (T3R) for exactly HALF the price of the 2012 T3. Only needs ARBs and its ready for the highest level of competition, in fact, it's a tad lighter than the flagship version!!

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...p?prod_id=3499

Real T3: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ic-Touring-Car
T3R: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ic-Touring-Car
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

it's a toss up between the team associated RC10T3 and the team losi XXXT
Old 06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Most reliable car I've owned, no kidding HPI E10, never had any problems what so ever... Maby it's luck or maby it's because it was upgraded from day 1, never broken a single thing on it, have cracked the chassis from a hard crash tho

Favorite car.... Losi 5ive, for the price, I have to like it.

Most used car.... Losi micro SCT, weather iis not the best here ATM, bring on summer!!!

*PS thats the first time ive posted a pic of myself on this forum, hope my face does not offend anyone.... lol
Come on dont be shy... What do u look like????
Lol, I pictured you looking a little different, but regardless, nice 5ive!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.