Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Do any of you wrench inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do any of you wrench inside

I'm curious how many of you have a set up inside that allows you to work on your cars (either primarily or when the weather is extreme).Living in an extreme weather areas likeI do(Texas) has really slowed me down in enjoying the hobby. My work space is in the garage, and it's easily 115-120 inside of there (even with fans blowing). I don't mind being outside doingchores and stuff, but sitting in that garage for a long period of time (30+ minutes) is crazy rough.

While my wife will never let me bring "the hobby" inside I've decided to get some better temperature controls for my garage when we movetoour new house.

Curious howmany of youdeal with extreme weather andthis hobby. Do you work on things inside, tough it out through the elements, orskip it for another day? The latter is not an option for me, as we get 3-4 months of this. ;-(

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Do any of you wrench inside

My "RC Shop" is in the washroom of the house. Our house is about 60 years old so the washroom is essentially an extension of the garage, but the nice thing is that it has a duct from the heater / AC unit. My bench is the lid of a tool chest that measures about 14" x 22". Not a large area but opening a drawer adds useable workspace. I store my cars and related stuff on the top 2 shelves of a 5 level shelving rack. I hang my plane on the wall and right now an old Tamiya M chassis is hanging on the wall too.

Here in Central California it gets hotter, or at least nearly as hot as hell; but without the humidity of Texas. I guess I don't have it that bad. A full counter top and nicer shelves would be nice to have. It does get pretty warm when Iwork on RC stuff because my tool chest sits right in front of a window that gets full sun in the mid afternoon.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im in South Australia, it gets hot here... last summer is peaked at 43c (109.4f) But nothing was bad as the heatwave of 26 January 2009- 3 February 2009
The heatwave commenced on Australia Day 2009 with temperatures above 35 degrees Celsius (95f). From 27 January onward the temperature has soared above 40 degrees (104f) for 3 consecutive days with another 3 days planned and no temperatures below 40 until at least 2 February where the temperature is expected to reach 39 degrees Celsius (102.2f). This would be the longest straight run of 40 degrees Celsius plus temperatures in Australian history. On 28 January, the third day into the heatwave, the temperature soared to 45.7 degrees Celsius (114.26), making it the 3rd hottest day on record in Adelaide. On that same night, the temperature only dipped to 33.9 degrees Celsius (93.02f) making it the highest minimum temperature on South Australian record

But anyway I allways work inside, only outside when I use to smoke. nowdays my work benches are the coffee table, kitchen bench & the dining table
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM
The_Shark

today was 100F and HUMID, I fixed my 1/1 car today for 6 hours (installed bumper, adjusted headlight mechanism) I don't mind the heat one bit, however, I do all my r/c stuff inside on the floor or on my bed, why? its comfortable and there is no chance of missing little tiny parts.

hot, cold, rainy, snowy nothing stops me from having some RC fun.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't RC at all in winter, I rarely wrench even. But as soon as summer comes, you can find me in the basement in my spacious workshop working on the next creation.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:38 AM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am privileged to have a bedroom dedicated to the hobby. i also sometimesfix my rc's right in bed. over a couple of towels. my wife doesn't mind so long as i move the stuff back out when i'm done. often she helps! really does most of it. she helped me build a 450 heli that way. because i have bad hands and would struggle with a lot of this stuff.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:17 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

I do it in the house, either set up in the living room or upstairs in the dining room if I need extra work space.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:17 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

today was 100F and HUMID, I fixed my 1/1 car today for 6 hours (installed bumper, adjusted headlight mechanism) I don't mind the heat one bit, however, I do all my r/c stuff inside on the floor or on my bed, why? its comfortable and there is no chance of missing little tiny parts.

hot, cold, rainy, snowy nothing stops me from having some RC fun.
you so crazzzzyyyy (was 110 just north of ya )
god I hate this weather I can't take the heat at all...

anyways back on topic ditto to repairs in the bed room
Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 AM
Eman77

My RC workshop is really a small unfinished closet in our finished basement. We left it unfinished because the previous owner built a reasonably decent wooden workbench there, so I've added some shelves and have a decent spot to work and store my stuff.

We kept the door on it (hence "closet") so I can lock the kids' friends out when they're over, and everyone is safe. It's not very big, but big enough for what I do. I'd love to have a big shop like I've seen some post here, but it's not gonna happen. When we finished the basement, I figured I'd rather have more living area downstairs at the expense of the RC shop.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 AM
kaiser01

i have a workbench in the garage but right now it's covered with aircooled vw engine parts.
so at the moment i'm working on rc's on an old desk in our family room/basement.

we are trying to sell our home, and the home we want has a huge walking closet in the guest room that will be my rc shrine.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:50 AM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

I do it in the house, either set up in the living room or upstairs in the dining room if I need extra work space.
you do it in the house, hehehehe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33132.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1776813  
Old 06-29-2012, 05:53 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

And on the porch, in the yard, at the track, on the pool deck. We're still talking about the cars, right?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 AM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

And on the porch, in the yard, at the track, on the pool deck. We're still talking about the cars, right?
suuure
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48767.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1776814  
Old 06-29-2012, 07:24 AM
ejc34710

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

i have a workbench in the garage but right now it's covered with aircooled vw engine parts.
so at the moment i'm working on rc's on an old desk in our family room/basement.

we are trying to sell our home, and the home we want has a huge walking closet in the guest room that will be my rc shrine.
Your the man. My workbench is also in the garage.... covered in air-cooled vw parts. But yea, it gets hot out there sometimes, especially with this heat wave.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:56 AM
nitrosteve22

Like shark and others,my bedroom on the floor in front of the tv with my tool box on my left and a mini fridge to the right... Love the bachlor life .
Old 06-29-2012, 08:47 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: nitrosteve22

Like shark and others,my bedroom on the floor in front of the tv with my tool box on my left and a mini fridge to the right... Love the bachlor life .
ditto
Old 06-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Eman77

That hurts my back just thinking about it.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

I don;t have a place to wrench outside. so im always wrenching inside. plus during the winter i don't run my rc's either like Foxy. Just pointless. These don't go that great in snow. I usually just work on the coffee table lol.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

I don;t have a place to wrench outside. so im always wrenching inside. plus during the winter i don't run my rc's either like Foxy. Just pointless. These don't go that great in snow. I usually just work on the coffee table lol.
snow + RC's = absolute awesomeness

No idea how mad I was last winter that there was no snow on the ground when I had any free time...
it literally snowed the day I went to work, and was melted by the time I woke up from my sleep after my last shift of the week (I work double back to back night shifts so no time to play between)
Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I don;t have a place to wrench outside. so im always wrenching inside.plus during the winter i don't run my rc's either like Foxy. Just pointless. These don't go that great in snow. I usually just work on the coffee table lol.

No idea how mad I was last winter that there was no snow on the ground when I had any free time...
it literally snowed the day I went to work, and was melted by the time I woke up from my sleep after my last shift of the week (I work double back to back night shifts so no time to play between)
Yea I don't find snow all that fun, unless it's like, 2 inches or less. Any more that that and you just can't get traction or you just sink and get stuck. And the only way not to get stuck is to floor it the whole time, so then temps rise and you just dig a trench and nope, not for me lol. Now maybe if I had a 1/8th Savage, it would be a different story, but I have the Flux XS.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:36 AM
oliveDrab

I build airplanes all year long in what used to be a dining room. Dining room?!?!? What a waste. It should be renamed to "Airplane building room". My home is south of San Angelo, Texas where it can get really hot (but it's mostly a dry heat). I'm single so there's no one to b_tch at me about building airplanes in the dining room. I dine on the couch in the living room in front of the TEE-vee.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I don;t have a place to wrench outside. so im always wrenching inside. plus during the winter i don't run my rc's either like Foxy. Just pointless. These don't go that great in snow. I usually just work on the coffee table lol.

Yea I don't find snow all that fun, unless it's like, 2 inches or less. Any more that that and you just can't get traction or you just sink and get stuck. And the only way not to get stuck is to floor it the whole time, so then temps rise and you just dig a trench and nope, not for me lol. Now maybe if I had a 1/8th Savage, it would be a different story, but I have the Flux XS.
I got a 6wd wheelie king was plowing through 4 inch snow like no tomorrow
also my stampede I turned into a ski with an airplane prop on the rear replacing the tranny
Old 06-29-2012, 09:50 AM
flyntruk
My Feedback: (5)

Wrench in the garage, have fans and a heater . Right now , 75 and a gentle breeze from the south ..
Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM
cumminspower5.9

I don;t have a place to wrench outside. so im always wrenching inside.plus during the winter i don't run my rc's either like Foxy. Just pointless. These don't go that great in snow. I usually just work on the coffee table lol.

I got a 6wd wheelie king was plowing through 4 inch snow like no tomorrow
also my stampede I turned into a ski with an airplane prop on the rear replacing the tranny
I think I remember seeing the Pede build lol. Looked cool if I remember correctly.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:13 AM
quiltsfly

JohnP2, I feel for you, I live in the valley of the sun, Phoenix area. I too have the garage for my hanger, the heat really plays heck with the covering. I did insulate my garage door last weekend and got a room air conditioner that covers about 13000 sq ft (LG at home depot). I have not used it yet as I need an electrical oulet for it, and as soon as that is installed I hope to cool the garage to about 82 degrees, beats the 110-125 it is now.

Good luck with the heat and keep them in the air.
Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.