Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

cheap chinese batteries

Old 06-29-2012, 03:23 AM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap chinese batteries

a few years ago, many experienced rc'ers said on these forumsthey'd stick with maxamps, thank you very much, and thatyou get what you pay for, and no hk batteries for them. anybody still feel this way about maxamps? they're still advertising....
Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: cheap chinese batteries

Maxamps are what you buy if you want the best and money is no object. For mere mortals, the Chinese ones are fine.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
futureboy1969

I 2nd that
Old 06-29-2012, 12:35 PM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL Maxamps. They're rebranded Enerland batteries, made in Korea. They're identical to Polyquest, which cost about 3/4 less.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:15 PM
silvermansteve

i thought if you wanted to spend a lot, thunder power was a good way to do it.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:10 PM
thehuntingterminator

From what Jang said, Maxamps' packs weren't even as good as his Gen's Ace pack which cost $35 compared to the Maxamps pack which cost $150.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:41 PM
FahrtAutoRC

The best batteries i ever got from MaxAmps was those free AA's a while back hehe

I run Turnigy in both my 4X4 Slash and my 1/8 Losi, never had an issue, and definitely happy with the power!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Zacoriah14

I just bought a sky lipo 3300 40c/80c.
The IR is between 3-8mohm depending on temp..... Plenty of power for just under $20
Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Having owned a few maxamps packs over the yrs I can honestly say they are NOT worth the money. I've run them back to back with zippy and turnigy packs and can't see any difference.

Buy turnigy packs and save your money.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:32 PM
silvermansteve

thought so. it was different a few years ago. i was just curious if anyone would still stick with maxxamps as opposed to the turnigy, sky, gen's ace (whatever that means), etc. i thought by now maxxamps would have lowered their prices 70 percent. actually, maybe they have, i wouldn't really know.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Maxamps are what you buy if you want the best and money is no object. For mere mortals, the Chinese ones are fine.
Um, no. Maxamps are what you buy when you have a lot of money and don't know any better.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: robwiljas

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Um, no. Maxamps are what you buy when you have a lot of money and don't know any better.
I guess I'll choose to ignore the 'Um', indicating that you think you are talking to a fool.

Maxamps make/rebadge/whatever higher C batteries than any of the Chinese ones. I'd say regardless of the manufacturer, as long as they are capable of the claims, that makes them better. If I want a 100C battery I got no choice, I gotta go to one of the expensive brands.

Whether or not you need those crazy Cs, is another debate.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM
robwiljas

It's a well known fact that Maxamps extremely overrates their packs.

Edit: And by the way I don't think you are a fool. I do however think that you're falling for Maxamps marketing gimmicks, and you have enough experience in this hobby that you should know better.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Foxy

I was not aware that anyone had ever accused them of overrating them to be honest. At least not without figures. I expect the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, it usually is.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 AM
robwiljas

I can't remember where it was but someone tested them and it was bad. Also they're rating them in surge, not constant.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Traxxas Fanboy
Banned

MaxAmps make the best batteries in the business. You really do get what you paid for. Some of the extra money you spend on MaxAmps goes to assembly and manufacturing costs which are higher if you are doing it in America and the rest is for the grade A cells they use. I can understand not everyone has the money to spend on them but if you think the extra money spent doesn't get you an all round better battery you're wrong.

As far as I am concerned any tests that I have heard of done on MaxAmps batteries in the public arena were not done on a brand new battery and weren't tested at high enough loads to properly test the C ratings so they can't be taken seriously.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Do I really have to make a remark about prime examples of "falling in love with the ad" or does this whole setup here just speak for itself?

ORIGINAL: Traxxas Fanboy

MaxAmps make the best batteries in the business. You really do get what you paid for. Some of the extra money you spend on MaxAmps goes to assembly and manufacturing costs which are higher if you are doing it in America and the rest is for the grade A cells they use. I can understand not everyone has the money to spend on them but if you think the extra money spent doesn't get you an all round better battery you're wrong.

As far as I am concerned any tests that I have heard of done on MaxAmps batteries in the public arena were not done on a brand new battery and weren't tested at high enough loads to properly test the C ratings so they can't be taken seriously.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:50 PM
proanti1

Charging triple what the cells are actually worth does not make them better. What 'assembly and manufacture' costs are you talking about? A sticker? A Deans plug? A plastic hard case? Cheap batteries also have these.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Traxxas Fanboy
Banned

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Charging triple what the cells are actually worth does not make them better. What 'assembly and manufacture' costs are you talking about? A sticker? A Deans plug? A plastic hard case? Cheap batteries also have these.
I agree with you, charging the price they do isn't what makes them better, it's the grade A cells they use. How much do it think it costs to pay an American to put together a battery vs what it costs to pay someone in China to do it? I'm sure MaxAmps could produce much cheaper batteries if they moved that side of their operation off shore but I for one am glad they don't. I don't mind paying a bit extra to help keep an American in a job.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 PM
robwiljas

I agree with you, charging the price they do isn't what makes them better, it's the grade A cells they use. How much do it think it costs to pay an American to put together a battery vs what it costs to pay someone in China to do it? I'm sure MaxAmps could produce much cheaper batteries if they moved that side of their operation off shore but I for one am glad they don't. I don't mind paying a bit extra to help keep an American in a job.
The thing is they're not using that good of cells. There have been tests, with brand new packs contrary to what you said earlier, that shows they're no better, and in some cases worse, than packs costing much less. What's worse is every time someone posts a test, Maxamps threatens legal action to get them to remove it, and also has any video on youtube of such test removed for copyright infringement.

Edit: [link=http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139612]Here[/link] is an interesting read. Please note I'm not basing my opinions of Maxamps solely off this review, I've seen many and they're always the same. Maxamps performing on par with cheap chinese packs and losing to better packs, such as Thunderpower. This is just the only review I can still find due to Maxamps always getting them removed.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I remember 2-3 years ago we all got into it with the guy that owns maxamps on the forums... he said he had conclusive evidence from testing his batteries were better than others... but never produced any of the evidence even when ask multiple times...
He also said he would never put C-ratings on packs as they were deceptive, and all made up seeing there was no standard for what C is... 3 months later I saw 100C maxamps advertised.

those reasons are why I'd never trust them alone.

Wish I could find the thread it was friggin hilarious from what I remember. But that is all I will say on this subject.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Traxxas Fanboy
Banned

The naysayers seem to be lacking evidence here if you ask me, there are plenty of excuses though. I've seen your "interesting read" before robwiljas. If you read though it you'll find the battery was not new, in fact it was sold 2nd hand to the reviewer. How am I meant to take a review seriously if the product being reviewed is not absolutely positively brand spanking new, especially a battery. Also the test was done with a 30A bulb discharger, fine if you're testing NiMH or NiCd batteries but not for the latest in LiPo technology designed for todays brushless systems. Sorry if I'm coming across too harsh, just a friendly debate on my end.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:17 AM
robwiljas

The naysayers seem to be lacking evidence here if you ask me, there are plenty of excuses though. I've seen your ''interesting read'' before robwiljas. If you read though it you'll find the battery was not new, in fact it was sold 2nd hand to the reviewer. How am I meant to take a review seriously if the product being reviewed is not absolutely positively brand spanking new, especially a battery. Also the test was done with a 30A bulb discharger, fine if you're testing NiMH or NiCd batteries but not for the latest in LiPo technology designed for todays brushless systems. Sorry if I'm coming across too harsh, just a friendly debate on my end.
After looking at your post history, it's obvious that you're here just to troll, so I'm done.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:28 AM
proanti1

There is no standardized grading of these batteries. 'Grade A' doesn't mean ****, and you know it. The cells themselves are made in Korea, by Enerland, and also sold under the Polyquest brand name for about a third what Maxamps is charging. They're the same cells, from the same production line.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

The naysayers seem to be lacking evidence here if you ask me, there are plenty of excuses though. I've seen your ''interesting read'' before robwiljas. If you read though it you'll find the battery was not new, in fact it was sold 2nd hand to the reviewer. How am I meant to take a review seriously if the product being reviewed is not absolutely positively brand spanking new, especially a battery. Also the test was done with a 30A bulb discharger, fine if you're testing NiMH or NiCd batteries but not for the latest in LiPo technology designed for todays brushless systems. Sorry if I'm coming across too harsh, just a friendly debate on my end.
uhh it was bought 2nd hand, but was still brand new in a sealed package... Kinda like if you bought something new from a hobby shop you don't say its 2nd hand cause you didn't get it straight from the manufacturer...

the review was transcribed cause maxamps flagged it as inappropriate(or used DMCA, or some other method), and had it removed... kinda says something about the company.

For intents and purposes the 30A bulb discharger is still fine seeing generally that is what most 2wd vehicles will pull.
Remember it was graphed vs other batteries under the same conditions.
The performance of a vehicle on the track under the same conditions vs a pack that cost under 1/3rd the cost should say something too.

post #59 on the URC review sums up what I've seen from maxamps here, and elsewhere pretty well. Also how the owner acts reminds me of the post here I wish I could find (shocked they still advertise here after that)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.