Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

cheap chinese batteries

Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Traxxas Fanboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cheap chinese batteries

I'm just going to agree to disagree on this one. For the record I'm not a troll, I just like Traxxas and I use MaxAmps batteries, judging from what I've seen on this site so far I can understand why someone who likes those two brands would be seen as a troll. The way I see it is if you don't like something for whatever reason there is no point in hating on it, just don't use it. You guys come across as though you have something to lose, like as if you all own companies that are in direct competition with MaxAmps. Lighten up fellas.

P.S. I do watch Jang's videos and I like them but there is another famous youtuber by the name of Dj MEDiC who swears by MaxAmps, I guess it just boils down to who do you believe and who is more likely to have an agenda. MEDiC didn't get into an argument with the guys over at MaxAmps before making up his mind in the public arena, just saying.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Eman77

SHENANIGANS!!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Traxxas Fanboy

I'm just going to agree to disagree on this one. For the record I'm not a troll, I just like Traxxas and I use MaxAmps batteries, judging from what I've seen on this site so far I can understand why someone who likes those two brands would be seen as a troll. The way I see it is if you don't like something for whatever reason there is no point in hating on it, just don't use it. You guys come across as though you have something to lose, like as if you all own companies that are in direct competition with MaxAmps. Lighten up fellas.

P.S. I do watch Jang's videos and I like them but there is another famous youtuber by the name of Dj MEDiC who swears by MaxAmps, I guess it just boils down to who do you believe and who is more likely to have an agenda. MEDiC didn't get into an argument with the guys over at MaxAmps before making up his mind in the public arena, just saying.
BUT seeing he says all positives, and swears by them why would max-amps have any reason to argue with him?
Its only when people disagree with them that they go insane, and start the name calling(yes the owner has done it) or in the case of Jang not give them a sparkling review they go and start pulling stuff like they did.

Side note I looked I didn't see any videos comparing max-amps batteries to any other brands done by that Dj guy.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Traxxas Fanboy
Banned

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

BUT seeing he says all positives, and swears by them why would max-amps have any reason to argue with him?
Its only when people disagree with them that they go insane, and start the name calling(yes the owner has done it) or in the case of Jang not give them a sparkling review they go and start pulling stuff like they did.

Side note I looked I didn't see any videos comparing max-amps batteries to any other brands done by that Dj guy.
MEDiC has a lot of long videos where he talks about all kinds of things that aren't mentioned in the title, he doesn't really do reviews per se but he tells people what he thinks of stuff. If MEDiC had something he wanted to say he would say it without fear of reprisal.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

MEDiC has a lot of long videos where he talks about all kinds of things that aren't mentioned in the title, he doesn't really do reviews per se but he tells people what he thinks of stuff. If MEDiC had something he wanted to say he would say it without fear of reprisal.
jang does too, but as you see reprisal does happen (from max-amps). I'm sure if Dj said something negative about the batteries they would try and strike the video out like they did with jang, and start what essentially becomes them just trying to discredit people cause their product didn't live up to what they claim.
I dunno I just didn't care for Dj's method too much, but hey we all like different things.

Also like I said I got no issue with max-amps batteries I just don't like their tactics they use on people who don't say they are the greatest things ever made.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

I question the validity of Traxxas Fanboy's comments that the packs are American Made.

I need a source link for that claim.

Last time I checked, most everything is produced in Asia. Factories in Korea and Taiwan produce the cells and circuits, factories in China assemble.

SPC racing, the closest thing to an "American made" battery I know of besides maxx amps has theirs built the same way.

All they do is random QC testing on the batches they receive from the contract factory.

I question the claims of ANYcompany that says "we're the best, period end of story" charges the highest prices of any product in the market, refuses to provide documentation of their testing claims, etc. And vigorously and viciously attacks anyone who independently tests their products and finds them to be ordinary at best.

The unwarranted and abusive attacks on Jang are just the latest example. Jang may not be the end all/be all of the RC world, but he is a very fair and relatively objective reviewer. Most of the time when he tests/reviews a product, he goes into it hoping to see it live up to its hype. He is normally reluctant to call out something as garbage. For the company to pull the crap that it did to try to hide his results was very telling.

Why not post separate tests with different data for people to compare and make their own conclusions?

Couple that with user after user after user reporting that they get no better performance out of them than a $35 GensAce or some other "cheap alternative" and it is very difficult for me to say this product is worth the extremely high cost.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

I question the validity of Traxxas Fanboy's comments that the packs are American Made.

I need a source link for that claim.

Last time I checked, most everything is produced in Asia. Factories in Korea and Taiwan produce the cells and circuits, factories in China assemble.

SPC racing, the closest thing to an ''American made'' battery I know of besides maxx amps has theirs built the same way.

All they do is random QC testing on the batches they receive from the contract factory.

I question the claims of ANY company that says ''we're the best, period end of story'' charges the highest prices of any product in the market, refuses to provide documentation of their testing claims, etc. And vigorously and viciously attacks anyone who independently tests their products and finds them to be ordinary at best.

The unwarranted and abusive attacks on Jang are just the latest example. Jang may not be the end all/be all of the RC world, but he is a very fair and relatively objective reviewer. Most of the time when he tests/reviews a product, he goes into it hoping to see it live up to its hype. He is normally reluctant to call out something as garbage. For the company to pull the crap that it did to try to hide his results was very telling.

Why not post separate tests with different data for people to compare and make their own conclusions?

Couple that with user after user after user reporting that they get no better performance out of them than a $35 GensAce or some other ''cheap alternative'' and it is very difficult for me to say this product is worth the extremely high cost.

I agree with everything you said, except Maxamps packs are assembled in the USA, right here in my State of WA actually. The cells come from China but they assemble the packs here. Up until fairly recently they worked out of a Garage, now they have an actual store front, although it's not named Maxamps, it's named Nitro Killers.

Edit: I found the pics I was looking for. Here's some pics of the Maxamps garage, and their new store front. I'm not sure if they assemble the packs in the new store or still in the garage.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
kaiser01

practically all the cells come from the shen zhen battery company, shen zhen china.

people can buy whatever they want, and i'll still smoke'em with my turnigys.

there are cheaper cells out there that are bad, really bad. tiger is one of them.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Traxxas Fanboy
Banned

I don't have anything to back up my claim that they are assembled here but I do in a way agree with what latufu is saying. There has been a few problems to say the least between MaxAmps and Jang but on one hand we have MaxAmps saying they have the best stuff, charging the highest prices and advertising their batteries to have the highest of C ratings without backing it up with hard evidence of how they came up with those numbers and on the other hand there is Jang who I am sure tested the batteries the best way he knew how and with the equipment available to him to do so but I just don't agree with testing batteries that claim to be so far above the rest in they way that he did. I think the verdict is still somewhat out and as mentioned earlier, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Until the absolute truth is exposed all we as consumers can do is chose to believe MaxAmps or not. At the end of the day buy the battery that you're happy buying and enjoy this wonderful hobby.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
bigstick60
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: robwiljas

The naysayers seem to be lacking evidence here if you ask me, there are plenty of excuses though. I've seen your ''interesting read'' before robwiljas. If you read though it you'll find the battery was not new, in fact it was sold 2nd hand to the reviewer. How am I meant to take a review seriously if the product being reviewed is not absolutely positively brand spanking new, especially a battery. Also the test was done with a 30A bulb discharger, fine if you're testing NiMH or NiCd batteries but not for the latest in LiPo technology designed for todays brushless systems. Sorry if I'm coming across too harsh, just a friendly debate on my end.
After looking at your post history, it's obvious that you're here just to troll, so I'm done.
gee now we call people trolls because of their post history, and then wonder why it is on the decline
Old 07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I don't have anything to back up my claim that they are assembled here but I do in a way agree with what latufu is saying. There has been a few problems to say the least between MaxAmps and Jang but on one hand we have MaxAmps saying they have the best stuff, charging the highest prices and advertising their batteries to have the highest of C ratings without backing it up with hard evidence of how they came up with those numbers and on the other hand there is Jang who I am sure tested the batteries the best way he knew how and with the equipment available to him to do so but I just don't agree with testing batteries that claim to be so far above the rest in they way that he did. I think the verdict is still somewhat out and as mentioned earlier, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Until the absolute truth is exposed all we as consumers can do is chose to believe MaxAmps or not. At the end of the day buy the battery that you're happy buying and enjoy this wonderful hobby.
but lets face even if he couldn't test the peak discharge it was a 6500mAh battery that lasted about as long as a 5000mAh. If anything the 6500 should have had another 5+ mins of run time not fall flat at the same mark as the 5000's
reminds me of the venom 5000mah batteries that only last as long as 4200mAh batteries from other brands.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 PM
clarkj
My Feedback: (26)

On the airplane side I've bought eflite and turnigy. I was much easier on the eflite batteries and the turnigy outperformed them and lasted longer. 2100 eflite-$60, 2200 turnigy$10. eflite swelled up like a balloon and had me scared of them
Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 PM
w0mbat

I think Turnigy batteries come puffed from the factory because I have never seen one that wasn't!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Sorry to disagree with the majority, but the Maxamps packs that I bought did not put out what they were rated to do.. Cheap china packs would outperform them.. I test my setups with a wattsup meter by the way.. Maxamps = big no for me..

Oh and right now what i have seen as the best performance and best value are the sky lipos... A kid at our field takes of and flies a cheap f-4 edf wide open untill cutoff...all day long with 3-4 batteries.. He pops em on the charger right after he takes em out.. and off he goes again.. he is pulling 20c continually, not resting them between cycles and they dont puff and keep on working.. I tried some and was hooked... Only problem is the word is out and they are hard to catch instock...
Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 PM
straitnickel

Yes it is.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I love my Turnigys, but my old lady runs a Blue LiPo that shocks me. She got it free and well used a little over two years ago. At that point, the balance plug had already been against something rotating and pretty much friction melted. It hasn't been balanced in over three years, and yet she still runs the hell out of it at the track and speed runs in the street, using that poor thing for all it's worth. Oh, she runs a Blitz with a MMP ESC, and Velineon motor. The LiPo is a 3300 mAh 2s 30C. She gets about 15-20 minutes of runtime out of it still!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Diesel6401

I'm not a maxamps fan at all. I wish I was seeing that they're assembled in the good ole' US of A, but from what I've seen the are overpriced. The only packs IMHO that are worth that price are TP and Hyperion. I use to be a Turnigy/Zippy fanboy, but have become more recently a Gens Ace and SkyLipo fan, I still purchase turnigys but only when the Gens Ave or Sky's I'm looking for are out of stock (which is becoming more and more consistant). Idid some small testing on different batts, have a look.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=batteri+test
Old 07-04-2012, 05:14 AM
USMC 0802

ORIGINAL: silvermansteve

a few years ago, many experienced rc'ers said on these forumsthey'd stick with maxamps, thank you very much, and thatyou get what you pay for, and no hk batteries for them. anybody still feel this way about maxamps? they're still advertising....
Yes, I'm still a MaxAmps fan and have many of their products...With that said, Ibought a few "Traxxas" LiPos for me and my sons' Mervs and they've been great as well as Duratrax.

Iwill buyAmerican whenever Ican and the fellas at MaxAmps are a good lot.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 AM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

thank you for your service, usmc. and a happy fourth. i hope those batteries contain value added here in america, as you seem to think. i do not know. i'm not sure there ARE any american lipo batteries...or cells. but, i buy american cars, there's nothing wrong with them!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: w0mbat

I think Turnigy batteries come puffed from the factory because I have never seen one that wasn't!

They just send you the puffed ones, obviously. Mine are not:-)

Gerry
Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
kaiser01

i've got over 20 turnigy batts and have never had one show up puff, or puff during use, infact every turnigy i own still works great after many uses.

the one thing i do to all my batteries regardless of brand is always charge @ 1c no matter if it says it can be charged higher, and i never run them down to low voltage cut off.
treat a battery like that and they will last and last.

i've had name brands die on me but never a turnigy. even the tiny 1s 160mah batt's last a long time.