Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Durability Bashing vs Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:18 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Durability Bashing vs Racing

Hey Guys,

Ive been thinking... There is a conception that Bashing is harder on our r/c vehicles than racing.

When I bash its generally in open areas or my back yard that i know like the back of my hand.
Latelty im finding that im breaking more parts on my local race track than bashing.... Am I the only one experiancing this???

Im putting it down to when I bash there is generally nothing to crash into, but on the track there is just no room for error. The smallest mistake can cascade into a path of destruction

How are u guys going, where do u break the most parts??? Extreme Bashing does not count, or bashing in a forrest full of things to smash into
Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Durability Bashing vs Racing

ORIGINAL: phmaximus
There is a conception that Bashing is harder on our r/c vehicles than racing.
Amongst those who know, this is not the widely held conception. The only exception is MTs.

Racing is generally much harder on cars than casual running/bashing. Of course it depends how you bash.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 AM
futureboy1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big racer. But once in awhile i'll bring one of my basher on the trx and ur right,they just dont hold up. I seems like u can buy a Racer truck to bash, but not a basher truck to race...lol
Old 07-03-2012, 04:56 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Foxy is right. It depends on how you bash. But I could also see where racing could take its toll on some parts. Being strained to come out in first, pushing it to the limits. You would obviously think bashing would break more parts. Makes sense both ways. I'm surprised I don't break parts left and right the way I bash. I have not yet broke a part on my Flux XS yet, other than crack a rear hub carrier. But that's the HPI Savage name
Old 07-03-2012, 05:10 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing kills machines much faster then bashing does....... a Racer can make an awesome basher, however most bashers are nowhere near durable enough to race....

3 years ago the guys here would have torn my head off for saying this...........in fact 3 years ago they did tear my head off for saying this.......Amazing how the knowledge is starting to spread LOL !!!!!!! 3 years ago nobody would have believed for a second a Truggy was more durable then a MT...hell there was a small army stacked against me for saying that...... However these days very few would dare to say a MT is more durable then a race truggy/buggy
Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 AM
The_Shark

if you run into stuff on a track, its much harder than bashing.

truggy/buggy are the most durable things around, and will handle so much abuse, "bashers" don't like tapping walls and tubes, it just tears them apart.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Eman77

I can see how the perception might be that racers are more fragile though (I'm not saying it's true, but I can see why some might feel that way). For example, the chassis are lightened, using CF upper/lower decks, and they just don't look as sturdy.

On another hand, some buggies are built just for "offroad" carpet races - take the latest schumacher cat, for example. 4WD buggy, with exposed belts all over the place. A dirt basher like me will be worried about dirt getting in the diffs, and everywhere else. But in the UK, carpet races are quite popular, so this buggy was purpose built for that. Now, that doesn't say that the CAT can't take an impact - it just might be seen as a weakness to dirt bashers. That's all.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 AM
kaiser01

the only "fragile" offroaders are the 4wd buggies. i don't know why the manufacturers can't make them a little tougher.

the b44.1 can't take a hit like it's 2wd brothers the b4 and t4.

for the most part race bred vehicles are much toughter then the entry level bashers.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

the only ''fragile'' offroaders are the 4wd buggies. i don't know why the manufacturers can't make them a little tougher.

the b44.1 can't take a hit like it's 2wd brothers the b4 and t4.

for the most part race bred vehicles are much toughter then the entry level bashers.
that is true for 1/10th 1/8th is a different matter

I used to be on the racers are more fragile side, but it all depends on the model, and what kind of racing it was made for. Some are more fragile due to them making the chassis as light as possible to make it just a tad faster, others are beefier.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
kaiser01

lol @ 1/8 scale 4wd buggies, the opposite of fragile.

my rc8be is the toughest rc i've ever owned.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

lol @ 1/8 scale 4wd buggies, the opposite of fragile.

my rc8be is the toughest rc i've ever owned.

sorry forgot the . inbetween the 1/10th, and 1/8th
meant 1/8th durability are a different matter lol
Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bashing IMO means huge air. Find some jump, and go for it ten times over. Maybe some double-back flips.. That is likely to put a ton of wear on your RC in one way or another.

Racing is constant, and I can see where it puts more stress on the drivetrain for ex. But you just also get more wear per minute of running..

Durability is relative. Bashing, if you're going big, obviously puts more strain on the car as a whole. Racing though puts a lot of strain on things just because it is constant. Ten minutes of racing puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain. Ten minutes of launching off some ramp might only get you 4-5 jumps..

Apples and oranges.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:54 AM
phmaximus

Can't say I do much jumping when bashing. Only at the skate park... But there are some big jumps a my local race track.. Like every track tho no room for error...

Basing to me is zooming around as fast as it will go, drifting, doughnuts and maby jumping... If there is any jumps around
Old 07-04-2012, 05:47 AM
supertib

every basher truck that has come to our track has gone home in pieces.....the last LST hat was there actually broke into 2 pieces right down the middle............Savages can barely make a lap without something breaking.........
Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Shabbernigdo

ive never really broken any thing racing. they track is pretty well set up and had plastic corigated tubes all arround it. isint any thing really solid to hit except the pit box mabey.

bashing on the other hand ive broken plenty of parts over the years. usualy due to a hidden rock / small tree stump or somthing similar that i couldent see.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:47 AM
phmaximus

My track is not very forgiving, the worst is the wood on the side of the jumps

Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 PM
9five9

I notice that when racing, I tend to heat motors and batteries up more, and go through more tires than when I bash. But when I bash I physically break more parts (running into curbs, flipping over on sidewalks/asphalt, dropping off ledges, etc). I try to be as smooth and efficient as possible on the track though. I stay away from other vehicles, and typically finish a race with very little physical flaws in my truck. I tend to get carried away when I bash though. I try stupid tricks and take too many risks...especially at the skatepark. But that's just me. It's like I'm bi-polar. haha.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:50 PM
nitroexpress

Racers are pretty tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5Hj...feature=relmfu

Old 07-07-2012, 07:54 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

My track is not very forgiving, the worst is the wood on the side of the jumps

Is that a council made track? We have a council made track up here that has similar problems, I think the guy who owns the LHS might have helped design it. I also have a theory that panel beaters have some kind of say so when it comes to designing some of the shopping center car parks up here.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:49 AM
phmaximus

hahahahahaaa, yeah I think its a council track run and maintained by SDMCC.

Stupid Design if u as me.

He got any idear how to get approval to make a track like that? I think there is even comunity funding for comunity based clubs... Im despratly trying to ge a local 1/5 track with in the CBD, our closest is a 2 hour drive out on some random guys farm... I really wantto race my 5ive but im not doing a 4 hour round trip every weekend or 2nd weekend
Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

He got any idear how to get approval to make a track like that? I think there is even comunity funding for comunity based clubs... Im despratly trying to ge a local 1/5 track with in the CBD, our closest is a 2 hour drive out on some random guys farm... I really wantto race my 5ive but im not doing a 4 hour round trip every weekend or 2nd weekend
at least you have a track closest thing I have is a half assed BMX park(that no one upkeeps even) that has trees over the jumps that my savage has gotten stuck in the time I went there... I'd hate to see a biker on it with how wooded it is which is prolly why its dead.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 PM
savagecommander

No kidding. It's either 60 miles round trip or tenth scale indoor.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:22 PM
phmaximus

well at least im not the only one.

SyCo_VeNoM

In a way I would kill for that, I would be out there with a shovel fixing it up..
Old 07-08-2012, 11:55 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Honestly, racing does take more out of your vehicle than bashing, you guys need to get a proper track to run on.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 AM
phmaximus

yes i agree, Ive trying to pull one out of my..... hummmm..... lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.