Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Why is anything in RC controversial?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why is anything in RC controversial?

This post is in response to thehuntingterminators thread "What's really controversial right now?" when I read the title a question came into my mind. Why would anything in RC be controversial? This is a hobby. Why should anyone care what someone else thinks about the hobby. Hobbies are ment to be enjoyed and different people enjoy different things. I have nothing against anything written in that thread it just got me thinking and I thought I would get your opinions on the subject as well.

I have been a member of this forum for over 4 years. I joined as a noonb with no actual RC experience and I received alot of help from RCU getting started. It seems to me that these boards have changed in the time that I have been a member here. I do recall there being lots of heated discussions back when I first joined but it seems to have gotten worse. There seems to be more name calling and frustration by some of the more experienced members reguarding what they would consider to be the fundamentals of RC without taking the time to remember that we all once started as noobs and asked the same questions ourselves.

I admit I have found myself getting caught up in the same behaviour. I have always tried to maintain some dignity and civility myself but it is easy to get carried away and admit at times, I have. It seems I use to care whether or not someone got started in the hobby the "right way", or spent their money on quality vs. junk that would just end up breaking after the first use. Now I just don't care anymore. I just get annoyed now when I see an argument that before I would have loved to jump into. Now I just don't care anymore. I used to check RCU multiple times a day and now I will go several days without taking a look at what is going on, and when I do stop by to take a look I rarely post anymore becuase i just don't care what other people are doing in the hobby.

I guess I have come to realize that this is just a hobby and none of these issues really matter anyway. I don't care who preffers nitro over electric or electric over nitro and I don't care why. I don't care what brand people consider to be the best even though every now and then I may still engage in that discussion at the end of the day I really don't care what someone decides to go out and buy.This is a hobby. It is suposed to be something that is enjoyed. I may enjoy it differently then someone else, and someone else may enjoy it differently than I do. I don't care how you choose to enjoy your hobby. I am not going to bash someone based on their opinion or how they decide to enjoy their hobby. This is suppsed to be fun, not controversial.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Why is anything in RC controversial?

Very well said... I would have to agree ive dont the same, the fun has gone lately, there are to many know it all's. Im getting to the stage where each time I log in its the same people, creating some what "so and so" threads. Im more into helping people and discusing cars I own or have owned & aspects of driving. Im happy to help anyone with a physical problem but i keep clear of those threads comparing diffrent cars. they are bad news.

I think if there is no physical problem and u are seeking help on a mental problem like what to get or even review, research it more, or just buy what u want? yeah? dont start flame wars here
Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In many cases, the more experienced a person gets, the more arrogant they get. How quickly they forget that they were once the ones asking the stupid questions and doggedly defending some cheap off brand, because back then we thought it was the shizz and 200 bucks seemed like a lot of money. You can only be consistent on what you say, and that brings me to what drives me flipping insane on all the RC forums.

Fanboys. How con someone say brand X is better than brand Y when they have only driven brand X. Really drives me spare to see the comments on youtube on videos of proper competitoin models to see 'my revo will leave your truggy in the dust' or 'my slash would have lapped you all'. When people are so ignorant AND aggressive with it, they deserve everything they get. Sorry to cite two traxxas examples, its not a problem exclusive to traxxas fanboys, the Kyosho and HPI guys are just as bad.

And worse than a fanboy is a fickle fanboy. Someone who drones on and on about how great their car is, despite it being the epitome of average, then when they get another car, that is now the best car in the world. And when they sell that and get something else, THAT car is the best in the world.

Enough ranting from me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems over the years that brand loyalty has turned into fanboyism and the meaning has been lost, but hey, it's not exclusive to this hobby though, you should see how the Ford and Holden guys go at each other in Australia. It's visible in all walks of life to some degree.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Foxy

To answer the OP, what is controversial in RC? Criticising anything with a big fan base in this hobby is always going to be controversial and will generate fear and hate. Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:39 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with those who say arguing about RC is dumb, and only really do it myself in response to those who think they know everything, insult others for knowing less or having different opinions, and seem to assume there is some kind of totem pole of RC cred you have to ascend or even care about. Unfortunately there are a lot of such people around, and a lot more who fall into that unfortunate way of thinking.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:38 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL foxy how did u manage to pull off a Startwars quote lol
The whole Ford vs Holden is everywhere... Ive worked at a few Ford dealerships and 1 Holden dealership... they are even crazy for it... For some guys its a way of life. must admit tho im no better, ive got the watch, coffee cup, travel mug, keyring, stickers, plush toys, posters, magazines, tshirts, jackets, caps, badges on my tool box, model cars, even a flag... hummmmm that sounds real bad.... but I Dont hate the other brand, I like all Australian cars, I just favour one brand more than the other.

There is one value I have, dont knock a brand just because someone els likes it. be more open minded, we are all individuals. Thats what makes life fun. imagine if we all liked the same things? life would be so boring... and rember everyone had different experances, just cuz u broke ur losi xxx-nt and had heaps of problems tuning it, doesent mean every owner did.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 AM
Eman77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno yakfish, it seems kinda the same here since I've been here. I don't think things have gotten any worse - and in fact, I think they're actually a bit better. I think the clear idiots and trolls get stomped out pretty fast now, thanks to a pretty responsive moderator core here. I've used the "report" feature more than a few times, and mods are very good at responding.

In general, I think things are pretty similar compared to years ago. Not that everyone is great - you still have fanboys, ignorant people spewing out false facts (that one drives me nuts - I don't claim to know everything, but I try and keep my mouth shut in those cases), and arguments here and there. But overall I don't think it's bad.

I think you'll always have a base of fans who defend product X or brand Y, and arguments come. Back in the day, it was "brushless will kill nitro, nitro sux", and everyone and their brother told you to get a reedy quad mag motor if you wanted a recommendation (regardless of the application - it was ludicrous). People loved Traxxas. Others hated Traxxas. Sound familiar?

But that's the way it goes. I just figure if we police ourselves efficiently, keep our wits, and help out the newbies as much as we can with solid information, we're doing well.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:35 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

To answer the OP, what is controversial in RC? Criticising anything with a big fan base in this hobby is always going to be controversial and will generate fear and hate. Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
suffering leads to bondage.....

only things I see as controversial are what some battery companies are preaching their batteries can do, and when they fail to stack up to the competitors they go and get the reviews pulled using legal(or revenue based) pressure.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:16 AM
OvalRacer99

My personal opinion is that there are those who are insecure about their faverate brands. So to help overcome this, they are in your face to try to convince everyone that brand X
is better than all others. Weather it's cars (full sized), rc stuff or even what brand of soad pop you drink.

It all comes down to a "my way or it's wrong" attitude.
I say, run what you like and I will run what I like. If yours turns out to be better, than more power to ya.

No need for any crontroversy.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air leaks are pretty controversial right now...
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I don't really *religion* see where anything *abortion* could be considered "controversial" *gay rights* in a hobby where it is all *politics* basically toy cars and trucks. The most controversy there should be *immigration* is debating the accuracy of a transponder *healthcare* when you feel you did better than you *Traxxas* actually did!

I had to do it. The most controversial post on RCU, and it slips right in past the mods!!! * crosses fingers while cheering* haha
Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Eman77

Dude, I'm like SO reporting you.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

OMG FahrtAutoRC SAID THE T-WORD
Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

...."transponder"?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:40 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

....''transponder''?

The one that is the name of a company which sparks huge debates. Probably more intense debates than anything else he mentioned

Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Ohhhh lawdy what have I done!!! *whimpers* I can hear the fanboys coming from here...... I'm out, off to the safety of my shop.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Eman77

....''transponder''?

The one that is the name of a company which sparks huge debates. Probably more intense debates than anything else he mentioned

...Tyco?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM
thehuntingterminator

I agree with everything you said. It's almost comical though to sit here and watch grown men fight online over something that has no real-life bearing when they wouldn't touch each other if the ever came face-to-face. Thanks for the shout out too!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

....''transponder''?

...Tyco?
Nikko, obviously.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Microz

ORIGINAL: yakfish

This post is in response to thehuntingterminators thread "What's really controversial right now?" when I read the title a question came into my mind. Why would anything in RC be controversial? This is a hobby. Why should anyone care what someone else thinks about the hobby. Hobbies are ment to be enjoyed and different people enjoy different things. I have nothing against anything written in that thread it just got me thinking and I thought I would get your opinions on the subject as well.

I have been a member of this forum for over 4 years. I joined as a noonb with no actual RC experience and I received alot of help from RCU getting started. It seems to me that these boards have changed in the time that I have been a member here. I do recall there being lots of heated discussions back when I first joined but it seems to have gotten worse. There seems to be more name calling and frustration by some of the more experienced members reguarding what they would consider to be the fundamentals of RC without taking the time to remember that we all once started as noobs and asked the same questions ourselves.

I admit I have found myself getting caught up in the same behaviour. I have always tried to maintain some dignity and civility myself but it is easy to get carried away and admit at times, I have. It seems I use to care whether or not someone got started in the hobby the "right way", or spent their money on quality vs. junk that would just end up breaking after the first use. Now I just don't care anymore. I just get annoyed now when I see an argument that before I would have loved to jump into. Now I just don't care anymore. I used to check RCU multiple times a day and now I will go several days without taking a look at what is going on, and when I do stop by to take a look I rarely post anymore becuase i just don't care what other people are doing in the hobby.

I guess I have come to realize that this is just a hobby and none of these issues really matter anyway. I don't care who preffers nitro over electric or electric over nitro and I don't care why. I don't care what brand people consider to be the best even though every now and then I may still engage in that discussion at the end of the day I really don't care what someone decides to go out and buy.This is a hobby. It is suposed to be something that is enjoyed. I may enjoy it differently then someone else, and someone else may enjoy it differently than I do. I don't care how you choose to enjoy your hobby. I am not going to bash someone based on their opinion or how they decide to enjoy their hobby. This is suppsed to be fun, not controversial.
I can relate to something that actually did happen to me down at the flying field. First, keep in mind this plane is made of foam. So i was out there just having fun flying my plane, i landed after the 6 minutes i had inputted into my radio timer. There was another guy that was setting up his plane, i bring my plane in, and he asks me questions about my plane. After all the question asking he says "it flies good...for a foamie. Balsa planes though, they fly much better." So now im just standing there and all i say is "Really? Thats cool. Never had one. Thanks." Now i don't race RC cars, but im sure you guys have heard a similar thing down at the track. I just try and have fun no matter what material its made of, no matter what brand the plane/car/heli is. Similar thing happened to someone over at another forum. Some members of that forum were attacking him for liking civilian aircraft and not liking warbirds. Makes no sense to me. I just do it for the fun.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Microz

ORIGINAL: yakfish

This post is in response to thehuntingterminators thread ''What's really controversial right now?'' when I read the title a question came into my mind. Why would anything in RC be controversial? This is a hobby. Why should anyone care what someone else thinks about the hobby. Hobbies are ment to be enjoyed and different people enjoy different things. I have nothing against anything written in that thread it just got me thinking and I thought I would get your opinions on the subject as well.

I admit I have found myself getting caught up in the same behaviour. I have always tried to maintain some dignity and civility myself but it is easy to get carried away and admit at times, I have. It seems I use to care whether or not someone got started in the hobby the ''right way'', or spent their money on quality vs. junk that would just end up breaking after the first use. Now I just don't care anymore. I just get annoyed now when I see an argument that before I would have loved to jump into. Now I just don't care anymore. I used to check RCU multiple times a day and now I will go several days without taking a look at what is going on, and when I do stop by to take a look I rarely post anymore becuase i just don't care what other people are doing in the hobby.

I can relate to something that actually did happen to me down at the flying field. First, keep in mind this plane is made of foam. So i was out there just having fun flying my plane, i landed after the 6 minutes i had inputted into my radio timer. There was another guy that was setting up his plane, i bring my plane in, and he asks me questions about my plane. After all the question asking he says ''it flies good...for a foamie. Balsa planes though, they fly much better.'' So now im just standing there and all i say is ''Really? Thats cool. Never had one. Thanks.'' Now i don't race RC cars, but im sure you guys have heard a similar thing down at the track. I just try and have fun no matter what material its made of, no matter what brand the plane/car/heli is. Similar thing happened to someone over at another forum. Some members of that forum were attacking him for liking civilian aircraft and not liking warbirds. Makes no sense to me. I just do it for the fun.

what kinda pansy doesn't like warbirds
Real men fly spitfires, and what not

J/K wanted to say something controversial
Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Microz

I can relate to something that actually did happen to me down at the flying field. First, keep in mind this plane is made of foam. So i was out there just having fun flying my plane, i landed after the 6 minutes i had inputted into my radio timer. There was another guy that was setting up his plane, i bring my plane in, and he asks me questions about my plane. After all the question asking he says "it flies good...for a foamie. Balsa planes though, they fly much better." So now im just standing there and all i say is "Really? Thats cool. Never had one. Thanks." Now i don't race RC cars, but im sure you guys have heard a similar thing down at the track. I just try and have fun no matter what material its made of, no matter what brand the plane/car/heli is. Similar thing happened to someone over at another forum. Some members of that forum were attacking him for liking civilian aircraft and not liking warbirds. Makes no sense to me. I just do it for the fun.
Just be aware, there are a ton of those guys on this site. Their arrogance extends to the forum, too. They don't think this site is for anything but their balsa wood warbirds. Us "surface dwellers" are barely recognized as part of the food chain. They are famous for ignoring your input in a thread if you are not a pilot.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Somewhere along the way
My hopefulness turned to sadness
Somewhere along the way
My sadness turned to bitterness
Somewhere along the way
My bitterness turned to anger
Somewhere along the way
My anger turned to vengeance
And the ones that I made pay
Were never the ones who deserved it
And the ones who deserved it
They'll never understand it
Yes, I know I'm going to hell in a purple basket
Least I'll be in another world
While you're pissing on my casket

Julian Casablancas

This thread is a little depressing, I might have to take an extra Cymbalta today.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM
subzJC

maybe this thread is the answer to the one a few days ago about "rc forums in decline.
to many haters and not enough homeboys.
thats why i really never type anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.