Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

How Happy Are You With Your RC Collection?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Perfect - got just what I want
20.30%
Pretty good - could be better
48.87%
Average - some good, some bad
18.05%
Not really happy - needs change or improvement
9.02%
Hate it - want to sell everything and start over
3.76%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

How Happy Are You With Your RC Collection?

Old 07-29-2012, 06:11 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How Happy Are You With Your RC Collection?

My opinion of my RC collection changes over time, and at the moment I'm not really thrilled with it. I have:

1.) Losi LST2 - my first, five years old, needs a rebuild, at least to the front end.. Tons of slop in the steering.. Seemed slow last time I ran it in grass..

2.) second LST2 - OK, has given me lots of problems in the past, seems to be running well-ish now. But with this truck and the way it's been, you never know.. Got it really cheap, so feel OK about it. Have plenty of LST2 parts laying around, some having been sitting in a drawer for over five years.

3.) Ofna DM-1 - mixed feelings, tending to the negative. I HATE the clutch bell design, that it needs three little bearings, which like to not come out.., and that the bells are so expensive, and in my case require ordering from abroad. Have a second kit as backup. If the CB weren't such a PIA, I think I'd like it a lot more. It's pretty fun when it goes right, but I think it needs a more powerful engine.. Got both kits cheap, which is OK, but on the other hand I'd have trouble giving them away, given that GT racing is nonexistent here, and that other companies like Serpent are coming out with better stuff. I'd rather have the new Kyosho GT2 Racing version, with tons of affordable local parts support. There is NO Ofna DM-1 part support on my whole continent.

4.) Associated RC8.2. Nearly new, has about 10 tanks through it. The car is good I guess, but I'm starting to think I just hate racing. I hate all the obsession about technical minutiae and the need for constant setup changes.. People complain about nitro engines being more work and requiring too much fiddling.. Screw that.. ANY racing kit needs constant fiddling.. PIA.. I also don't like that with the RC8.2 they changed so much stuff, so that my huge box of Associated spare parts are useless for it.. Shorter shocks, different diffs and outdrives, arms, etc etc.. Think I'd really like to sell it and get an RC8T. Truggy tire prices are the main catch there - not into paying €60 a set for tires/wheels.. Also have a bunch of clutch-bells for the buggy and SC8. Am considering it though.

5.) Associated SC8. I had a deal lined up to sell this on like two occasions, and both times the buyer bailed. Currently this is probably my favorite RC. I don't have to worry about what's in the diffs or shocks, and can just plop it down and thrash it around a parking lot or at the park(my only local, simple options really..), with minimal worrying about setup, or frying some irreplaceable clutch bell, or whatever.. Just a basic, reliable, solid RC that I don't feel like I have to worry about or have a bad conscience for having paid a fortune for(got it new on ebay for a much lower price)...

Anyway, I don't know what I want at this stage. More and more though I find racing to be a turn-off. Unfortunately however, it's the best way to be able to burn nitro, and that I still like to do.. Have definitely become addicted to nitro engines over the years.. I'm actually happy with my engine collection at the moment:

1.) Argus A52 - great engine. My buggy first choice racing engine..
2.) modded Nosram RS.21RR(think Jammin JPX .21) Still newish, backup to the Argus. Seems pretty good so far.. Think it will be a screamer - would be in truggy too.. Hmm...
3.) RB Fire 11, new not yet run.. Would also make a great truggy engine.
4.) Nosram RS.30 RR.. Ripping pretty well in the SC8 currently..
5.) Dynamite Big Red .28 and Losi 454 in my two LST2's... Both run well. Happy with them given what they cost...
Old 07-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How Happy Are You With Your RC Collection?

I'm still trying to find something I love to run over and over. I have many things I like to run for a bit, then switch to something else. I have nothing I could run all day and be satisfied with. Maybe the Xray truggy, but that seems to still have a couple of minor issues to be worked out related to the diffs and batteries as well. When I get that sorted, it'll probably be my go to RC.

I recently picked up a merv, and I must say it's a great deal of fun on 2S.

I've been thinking very hard about picking up a Hyper 10TT. I really think that car could be 'the one' for play all day simplicity and battery life, but then I have a top of the line 1/8th truggy and a very good 1/16th one. Do I need a 1/10th one, despite te fact I think it's probably the perfect middle ground between the two? I also want a Blitz ESE and a Savage Flux XS SS kit. Wouldn't mind an SCX10 too. I have a lot of cars, but I still want a lot of cars.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:16 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I have 2 problems with my collection. 1) the 3.3 powered N.Rusty had a bad runaway and taco'ed the chassis. needs new top and bottom chassis, fuel tank, steering belcranks, etc. 2) Rebuilding two of my 4 wood RC airboats. Epoxy takes too freakin' long to cure.

The rest of my collection; 2 LST2's and Jato seem to run okay though my Mach 427 likes to run 30°F hotter than my SH .28. 3.3 in Jato runs like champ. My 2 running Airboats are a blast and I love 'em. One has a 4-stroke .60 that sounds out of this world neat.

I dont need any more stuff. If I do acquire anything else, it will probably be another airboat to make #5 and it would be scratch built by me from spare wood I have laying around.

Overall, I'm happy with my collection. Having as much stuff as I have, I always have something to work on. I like to run my spare aero engines just for fun. Sooner or later I'll finish my Mig-27 Army target drone plane and fly it.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:21 AM
HerrSavage

I still wouldn't mind some kind of mini I guess.., but honestly I didn't much like my MERV all that much(put me off soldering FOREVER..), or my 1/24 Losi.. Had a Minizilla back in the day which was good...

Unfortunately I just don't have the space, local weather conditions, or budget at the moment..., but I suspect that what I'd also like is............................................ an airplane. Or, well, 4-5 of them, as from what I hear learning to fly entails numerous casualties.. Amusing to think how with cars, if you crash, you break an A-arm and replace it. With planes, you just start all over..

What I really need is to 1.) get up the motivation to rebuild the front end of LST2 #1, 2.) find the motivation to sell the RC8.2 and get a truggy, and I'd actually be good to go I think.. Though the SC8 is probably approaching rebuild time too... []

What I really need is a private mechanic! Sort out my buggy setup and rebuild the worn-out stuff.. Ha ha.. Actually, that'd sort me out perfectly..
Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 AM
HerrSavage

Completely off-topic, but saw this in a museum on a recent trip to the Baltic Sea coast... Remember building plastic models of them as a kid.

Mig 21 of the East German air force / Luftstreitkräfte / Luftverteidigung (LSK/LV):

Wanted to go to Peenemunde, where the V2 rocket center was, but had.................... family obligations.....................
Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

This is my Mig-27 US Army target drone (RCMAT) model airplane. Its roughly 6 feet long and 6 feet wide. Its huge!

I'll power it with the engine it was originally packaged with for the Army, a bushed-crank K&B Sportster .65.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:34 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm always trading stuff around, I like to try all the cars I can. I have 5 rollers and only 2 cars that run right now, but I'll trade those.. get new parts, see how everything goes. Some cars I don't like because you have to put more money into them to make them fun or competitive - especially since I use NiMH.

So I'm not exactly happy with not having all my cars work, but I don't mind as I'm always moving stuff around.

A bit of irony though - The Drifting Narwhal doesn't own a drifter currently.
If I had the chance to go back to what I've purchased in cash in the past, I probably would have done many things different. But at the time, I didn't have the knowledge I do now, so selling wouldn't really work.

I'm happy to have that Buy & Sell section right up there hahaha...

Old 07-29-2012, 07:35 AM
HerrSavage

Cool..

Needs a turbine though..
Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sucks, to few models!
Been dealing with lots of unpaid bills sucking up all my money. And winters just around the corner....need to buy firewood ect.

Right now I own:

redcat tornado epx pro
axial scx 10
dynam plane
eco brushed boat
tamiya holiday buggy
ecx torment sct
AE rc10 B3

I had more stuff last winter, but had to sell stuff off to keep food on the table[&:]
Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 AM
HerrSavage

I should probably sell some stuff too, and consolidate my collection some.. But selling has become so annoying.. Taking pics, describing (in a second language), and then, regardless of how fair your price might be, the constant back and forth nitpicking over the price.. Then packing, taking to post, etc.. Seriously tedious process..
Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Cool..

Needs a turbine though..
If money were no object, I'd run a Nitro Ducted Fan or a Jet engine in it, but I'm just shy of the $10k for the Jet turbine, and $400-500 for a good ducted fan engine. I'm married (expensive in and of itself) and lots of medical bills so I have to make do with what I have for now. My K&B engine was free, and the fuel it runs on costs me less than $8 a gallon to make. Makes for a cheap day at the park.

I'll obtain more stuff (I wont sell my toys because I got too much time and money invested to sell...) as time goes on, but for now I'm repairing what I have. 3 out of 4 trucks running aint bad, IMO.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Foxy

Not bad at all, I'm 3 out of 9 RCs working at the moment.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

I dont have enough.... but I will never have enough[:@]
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 AM
thehuntingterminator

I only have two hobby grade at the moment, one of which is on ebay. The other is my Kawasaki Limited Edition Brushless Summit. Take a look at her... don't you just wanna have her?! I'm hoping to pick up a cheap nitrorcx crawler using the money from my Micro SCT, but we'll see. Let me know what y'all think of my Summit with those new tires and wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92280.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	1787242  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 AM
ejc34710

I have a Savage i like alot. Then there's the tmaxx-i won't go there. Love my planes, one needs a little work and had to sell my heli, although i want to get another one in the furure. I'm not too happy with my stuff right now as i dont really have a lot of time to work on them. Not having a heli really sucks. Only kind of rc that can still get my knees knockin and make me go "phew" after a flight. Nothin like flyin an upside down lawn mower around...
Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find I have to stop myself from purchasing too many cars. The difference between now and when I was young, is now I can afford them. ;-) That is not to brag, but obviously have more money now (42) than I did when I was 18. Consequently, the temptation is always there, but am limiting myself to four cars per year.

This year, the four cars are:
1. Exceed Forza:I've spend 90% working on it and 10% running it. It's an on-road buggy. Something has gone wrong 100% taking it off-road. However, it is my first nitro, so it has a place in my heart. ;-)

2. Hyper 7: Thishasbeen everything advertised and more. I've onlybroken a few parts on it, which isamazing seeing how I've put it through virtually everything.

3.Losi810: This is my favorite car. Much more agile than the Hyper7. Not as tough, but it's still very durable nonetheless.

4. HPI Savage 4.6: Don't haveit yet, but it will be the last car I get until X-mas.

Next year, I intend to get:
1. Jato 3.3
2. Associated RC 8.2
3. Truggy (Losi 8ight T 2.0 or newest version)
4. On-road car (RS4, Kyosho Inferno GT2..?)

Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I find I have to stop myself from purchasing too many cars. The difference between now and when I was young, is now I can afford them. ;-) That is not to brag, but obviously have more money now (42) than I did when I was 18. Consequently, the temptation is always there, but am limiting myself to four cars per year.

This year, the four cars are:
1. Exceed Forza: I've spend 90% working on it and 10% running it. It's an on-road buggy. Something has gone wrong 100% taking it off-road. However, it is my first nitro, so it has a place in my heart. ;-)

2. Hyper 7: This has been everything advertised and more. I've only broken a few parts on it, which is amazing seeing how I've put it through virtually everything.

3. Losi 810: This is my favorite car. Much more agile than the Hyper 7. Not as tough, but it's still very durable nonetheless.

4. HPI Savage 4.6: Don't have it yet, but it will be the last car I get until X-mas.

Next year, I intend to get:
1. Jato 3.3
2. Associated RC 8.2
3. Truggy (Losi 8ight T 2.0 or newest version)
4. On-road car (RS4, Kyosho Inferno GT2..?)

Nice collection. Having all nitros, don't you go through a pretty hefty amount of fuel?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe most hobbyists will always want a little more and will never have finished collection.  That's part of the hobby.

I'm satisfied with my current collection as it suits my needs and driving styles:

Monster - HPI Savage Flux HP "XL" (this tends to be my "goto" vehicle)

Race cars:
Buggy - Associated RC10B4
Short Course - Associated SC10RS
On-road - Associated TC3

Vintage - RC10 Graphite

Nitro - Losi XXXNT

Mini / Micro - Losi Micro T converted to Bluegroove buggy & a XMods drifter

Scale / Crawler - to be determined...

Flying Machines - Flyzone Cessna & Airhogs Pocket Copter

Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Something that resembles a regular job would be nice. Hopefully that will start getting better after November.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty satisfied with my collection right now. Here what I have as of now:

1) Losi 8ight 2.0 buggy setup for speed runs with onroad foams, tall gearing and Mamba Monster 2200kv sytem
2) losi 8ight-T 2.0 also converted brushless running a Mamba Monster ESC with a 1518 1800kv motor
3) Jammin' CRT.5 converted to big block running a Werk B6 .21
4) AE RC18T Mamba Micro Pro CM26 6300kv
5)AE RC10GT big block converted with a Mach 427 (teal headed mach)
6) Kyosho Inferno GT... Also ready for brushless conversion. I have the Mamba Monster sytem ready to drop in just need to get the conversion kit for it.
7) AE NTC3... not sure what I am going to do with it. If I can figure out the gearing it will get a Mamba Monster sytem too!

The only thing missing is a 1/5 scale gasser of some sort. A 4wd FG would be the perfect addition to make the collection complete.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Dunno I'm in the middle.
I have some expensive ass RC's while they are tough, and work free for the most part something about them just doesn't make me want to use em.
I have some royal pieces of crap (HPI Brama, HPI Recon), and a few honestly I dunno why I bought them (merv)
I have a few I love, BUT no where nearby to really run them to put them through their paces (savage X, Savage flux, Jammin X1x CR, Traxxas stampede 4X4)
Also have a few I wish I could unload, but will get no where near what was put into them for a few mins of run time (merv(which I'm trying to make better currently))

Ones that have given me the greatest pleasure per $ were the lower priced Tamiyas like the DF-02 I dunno its probably my most ran RC, and I still like it

I've been eying up some of the cheaper exceeds(yes I know), and 2 hobbyking models that have piqued my interest.

total RC's are over 20 (I don't feel like counting)
Old 07-29-2012, 03:47 PM
The_Shark

I'm kinda happpy at the moment, I sold off my 9.5, my t-maxx and replaced them with a MGT 8.0 and OFNA Hyper 9 GL, going to sell off my tamiya group-C its fun to bash around with, but there is no racing for 1/10 pan, so I will invest in a 1/12 asc. pan. not happy with my tools, or starting equipment.

I just got a Walkera Genius CP heli and am really liking it, but its yet another thing to buy spares for and upkeep.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:14 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

]
Nice collection. Having all nitros, don't you go through a pretty hefty amount of fuel?
Thanks. Not as much as I would have guessed. We only take two cars out at once, and run between 1-2 total hoursper week. When the weather gets better that will increase, but for now fuel as not been much of an expense. We go through about a gallon per month.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:32 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

]
Thanks. Not as much as I would have guessed. We only take two cars out at once, and run between 1-2 total hours per week. When the weather gets better that will increase, but for now fuel as not been much of an expense. We go through about a gallon per month.
Huh, I thought it would be a lot more than that. But I would use a LOT more. I probably run 5-10 hours per week during the summer, and 2-3 hours the rest of the year. While I would only run one vehicle at a time, still...
Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 PM
The_Shark

i used to go through a gallon every 2 months running a .15 and a .21 every once in a while, now since I have that MGT 8.0 if i'm not careful I can drain a gallon in two weeks!!! 6-8mins a tank!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.