Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Spool in the rear of Tourign car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spool in the rear of Tourign car?

I remembered that the Tamiya TB03 needs a new rear diff. I am running a 4000kv motor on 2s and maybe 3s every now and then.I have 3 options

a) use the spec R diff I currently own and pay $15 for new diff gears when they strip

b) buy the original ball diff for $50 (don't you hate it when you can't buy a diff as a whole but have to get each part of it seperately) then pay $5.50 for gears when they strip

c) buy a Spool diff and put it in the rear for $17 (lol don't attack me its just an idea) buy new gears for $5.50 (I also have 4 spare diff rings for spools)

I am on a budget because I want to get a Thunder Tiger MT4 with upgraded servo and some LiPo's which will cost me a fair bit.

btw are composite or nylon gears supposed to be stronger? And which diffs have ring gears that generally last longer ball or gear?

Thank You (Soon all my rc problems will go away)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Spool in the rear of Tourign car?

A spool in the rear will make it a drifter with rubber tires. lol. Don't do it. Unless you're gonna put drifting tires on it.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:47 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will DESTROY belted rubber tires with a spool in the back, it will also do nothing but understeer into corners at low speeds, and oversteer under power. You need a diff in the back if you're not drifting with it.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I will go with the Ball Diff. I have no idea why Tamiya don't sell the TB03 diffs as a whole, now I have to buy all the parts seperately.

Is it better to have grease on the gears or not (plastic gears)