Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

How do you guys clean up your Nitro cars?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How do you guys clean up your Nitro cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:24 AM
92hatchattack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you guys clean up your Nitro cars?

Hey guys, My son and I have now had our Mini MGT out bashing for a few days, and since my son LOVES doing donuts and flinging rocks at me in the dust and dirt it is getting dirty pretty fast. Lost of dustand its turning gummy in spots where I spilled a little fuel like around the carb and motor and stuff.

Whats and easy way to clean her up? Im guessing spraying down with water would be a bad idea assome of the parts may rust up. Is there any way toclean it up easily without having to tearthe whole thing down onceaweek? There are a good deal or hard to reach spots as I am sure most of you know.

Any advicewould be awesome!

Thanks guy,

-Joe
Old 08-05-2012, 06:01 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do you guys clean up your Nitro cars?

a dry rag and a old toothbrush works best.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 AM
92hatchattack

Hmmm, manual labor.   I was hoping someone was just gonna tell me to brush off the dirt and spray it with contact cleaner and it would be nice and shinny.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ro-Clean-135oz Brush off the dirt and rocks with a thick artists paint brush. I use a cleaner, not this exact one.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 PM
celica49

I used WD40 to break down the gooey spots of nitro fuel, and a toothbrush. every couple months (generally when it was time for a new body) I would tear everything down to the chassis, give it all a real good thorough cleaning, and make it all seem brand new again. just make sure you wipe the wd40 dry or it will attract dust and youll be back at sguare 1
Old 08-05-2012, 12:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I clean them by selling them to someone and then buying an electric model
Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Nitrodan73
My Feedback: (12)

I used to presoak the whole car with a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol then 5 minutes later use a can of nitro wash. The alcohol should'nt affect the electronics because it evaporates but I try and stay away from electronics as much as possible. But like Celica says, take it apart every month or two and clean everything off real good.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:32 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

I use nitro cleaner, some Greased Lightning and an artist paint brush
Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Do you guys recommend solvents for the engine like automotive brake cleaner?  I acquired an engine in a trade and it's gummed up like he filled it with tree sap.  Since it's all metal, the brake cleaner should be safe, correct?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Compressed air works great for cleaning dirty nitro vehicles.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner will be fine for cleaning the engine, let it dry fully and sauce all internals up well with ARO before assembly.
I'd stick with fresh nitro fuel to degum the piston and rod, I've always been leery of using solvents on any type of oiled bushing...
Stick the conrod and piston assy in a pill bottle 1/4 filled with nitro fuel and shake it up, should clean it up good, compressed air (even PC duster) thru the oiling hole to be sure that's not gunked up too.
I always put ARO in and let the block sit nose down to make sure the frt bearing is lubed before assy.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Do you guys recommend solvents for the engine like automotive brake cleaner? I acquired an engine in a trade and it's gummed up like he filled it with tree sap. Since it's all metal, the brake cleaner should be safe, correct?
marvel mystery oil, (you can also use it as after run oil) it will get everything un-gummed, lubricate the bearings and make it smell like mint, just fill the engine up to the brim and let it sit overnight. MMO is only $3.50 a qt.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:52 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

I love that stuff! I use it for bearings, gears and after-run too in my XXXNT. This other engine Ibelieve is a good running engine, just that the previous owner didn't keep it clean and it's all gooed-up now. I wanted to remove the glow plug and probably the rear plate then hit it with the brake cleaner. I would use some Marvel afterwards to finish it up. Depending on how the bearings look Imay end up pulling those and cleaning / oiling them more thoroughly.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:55 AM
tl671
My Feedback: (1)

Denatured alcohol, followed by compressed air to blow it clean and dry it. Hit any steel parts with your favorite lubricant to prevent rust. Since the oil is carried there by alcohol to start with, alcohol dissolves it to remove it, just like it was never there. I have an antique .25 Savage that you can't find a spec of oil on, due to using denatured alcohol.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:08 AM
racin rebel

Air compressor, a small blow gun use about (50psi), this will blow away any, and all dirt, rocks, grass, a dust from the whole car. Do this after each run, your car will look like new every time!, (view my photos)
Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 AM
mlj3
My Feedback: (95)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spray mine down with denatured alcohol and use the brushes that I am selling here on RCU under tools and supplies., I then I blow it off with air.The brushes I am selling are a little stiffer than the ones made by Great planes or dubro so they do a better job.and the price is excellent ..