Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Getting kinda bored...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 AM
littlera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Getting kinda bored...

My observations of R/C cars (both online and at the LHS) is that most enthusiasts are young - certanily most are under 16. This is a time of growth and change for young guys, and as they age they mature, they find new interests and discover new things.

What was new for them is now old, and what is new is exciting. It is not surprising that most get bored. While R/C cars can certainly be fun, it is basically a two dimensional endeavor. Steer right or left. Yes, there are many nuances and technical challenges, but it is still at the end of the day steer right or left.

R/C flying more often becomes a lifetime hobby. The three dimensional aspect of the sport I think tends to hold one's interest and imagination for a long, long, time. I have been doing it over 40 years. Having said that, some still get bored with it and leave the hobby.

I did a little test and pulled up a few random R/C car discussion threads on RCU from 2004 - 2005. I found that about 90% of the posters have not posted in the last three years. On one thread, I had to get to page 3 before I found a single poster that had logged in during the last 6 months. I assume most of this 90% are no longer running cars. Some may still be involved, and just got bored with RCU, but I think you get the idea.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:59 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlera

My observations of R/C cars (both online and at the LHS) is that most enthusiasts are young - certanily most are under 16. This is a time of growth and change for young guys, and as they age they mature, they find new interests and discover new things.

What was new for them is now old, and what is new is exciting. It is not surprising that most get bored. While R/C cars can certainly be fun, it is basically a two dimensional endeavor. Steer right or left. Yes, there are many nuances and technical challenges, but it is still at the end of the day steer right or left.

R/C flying more often becomes a lifetime hobby. The three dimensional aspect of the sport I think tends to hold one's interest and imagination for a long, long, time. I have been doing it over 40 years. Having said that, some still get bored with it and leave the hobby.

I did a little test and pulled up a few random R/C car discussion threads on RCU from 2004 - 2005. I found that about 90% of the posters have not posted in the last three years. On one thread, I had to get to page 3 before I found a single poster that had logged in during the last 6 months. I assume most of this 90% are no longer running cars. Some may still be involved, and just got bored with RCU, but I think you get the idea.
I saw the exact opposite. at my LHS I've only seen 1-2 people under 20 and they were 10-14yo's with their parents
even here I don't think many are under 20 majority I'd say are 25+

As for the RCU test I know a fair amount are still in the hobby, and active on other sites. They just quit this site for various reasons so saying they are out of the hobby is not really valid.
I'm sure if we go into the airplane forum we can find similar trend just like every other form of RC's.

sheesh you air guys are freaks looked into the forums from what I see its like 60% still are active. But I guess thats cause being a flyboy is more of a lifestyle than a hobby seeing how much room you have to dedicate for planes.
boat section I found 1 guy that still posts I recognize his name. He came to the ground based side think he does crawlers now.
Heli's also seem to go the way the on-roads do, just like water craft. Its you airplane guys that are the exception lol
Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM
littlera

[/quote]

As for the RCU test I know a fair amount are still in the hobby, and active on other sites. They just quit this site for various reasons so saying they are out of the hobby is not really valid.
I'me sure if we go into the airplane forum we can find similar trend just like every other form of RC's
[/quote]

I believe I indicated that some are still involved, and just left RCU for whatever reason. I stick by the admittedly unscientific forum test. I also went back to those same years in the airplane side of RCU, and found that the vast majority still post or at least log into RCU. None of this proves that people are still involved or not, but the trend is clear to me.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: littlera

I saw the exact opposite. at my LHS I've only seen 1-2 people under 20 and they were 10-14yo's with their parents
even here I don't think many are under 20 majority I'd say are 25+

I'm sure if we go into the airplane forum we can find similar trend just like every other form of RC's.

sheesh you air guys are freaks looked into the forums from what I see its like 60% still are active. But I guess thats cause being a flyboy is more of a lifestyle than a hobby seeing how much room you have to dedicate for planes.
boat section I found 1 guy that still posts I recognize his name. He came to the ground based side think he does crawlers now.
Heli's also seem to go the way the on-roads do, just like water craft. Its you airplane guys that are the exception lol

would just like to debunk mr vemon .. your borderline trollish ... when i was a kid i had cars i went to radio shack toy's r us they had cars ... my friends had cars NONE of them could build or even fly an airplane .. yes now you can buy some foam toy and fly it ... but the majority of cars are geared for young people .. with bling bling and vedio game style taste ...

if you have adult friends and they come in your house and see you with your RC cars.. they are going to roll their eyes at you... now if you have legit RC airplanes ... they would be little less likely to roll their eyes ... at you because as a society the standard accepts that RC cars are more of a kids toys...

even if you had legit ( big money ) RC car's they wouldn't know ... but if someone sees a comp arf in your room I'm pretty sure he/she know's your not hanging out with teenagers on the weekend .. and that it's more a hobby .. then it's kids toys... and I'm pretty sure they know you dont shop at toy's R us ..... but with your RC car they see that car at toys R us and they see your car its in the same boat... TOYS..

FACT.. STOP TROLLING DUDE
Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I think that the true troll would be the guy who comes into the ground based side of the forums and tells everyone that they are for kids and planes are for adults, but hey, what do I know? My friends come down to my workshop and see the equipment, the vehicles, their curiosity is always piqued. Then when you throw a nice 4s in the buggy and go ripping down the street, they start calling you asking for advice because they are going to get one now.

Just because in YOUR experience it goes one way, does not mean everybody's is that way. Personally, with over $1k in EACH racer we own, those kind of comments can feel pretty offensive.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

would just like to debunk mr vemon .. your borderline trollish ... when i was a kid i had cars i went to radio shack toy's r us they had cars ... my friends had cars NONE of them could build or even fly an airplane .. yes now you can buy some foam toy and fly it ... but the majority of cars are geared for young people .. with bling bling and vedio game style taste ...

if you have adult friends and they come in your house and see you with your RC cars.. they are going to roll their eyes at you... now if you have legit RC airplanes ... they would be little less likely to roll their eyes ... at you because as a society the standard accepts that RC cars are more of a kids toys...

even if you had legit ( big money ) RC car's they wouldn't know ... but if someone sees a comp arf in your room I'm pretty sure he/she know's your not hanging out with teenagers on the weekend .. and that it's more a hobby .. then it's kids toys... and I'm pretty sure they know you dont shop at toy's R us ..... but with your RC car they see that car at toys R us and they see your car its in the same boat... TOYS..

Not really. I'm a ground RC guy. I'm a hair under 40. I have a few buddies/neighbors that have seen my stuff and really like them, and can tell at a glance that they are not toy grade.

The eye roll depends on who your friends are, really. If I was 23 fresh out of college hitting the clubs with all my friends, then yeah, they might have that mentality. When they get older, maybe not. So I think it depends on their age, as well as just the personality.

I honestly don't think I'd get a different reaction if I had planes. They do make some pretty cheap looking foamies, you know. It's not like any RC plane wins you instant credibility across all demographics.

Granted, I like watching them fly, and they are cool. I just don't own any, nor do I feel like you'll be shunned for owning ground vehicles, yet held in high esteem for simply owning any RTF airplane.

Honestly man, you seem like the troll. Not SyCo. He's been around here a while, and knows quite a bit. You seem more like the troll to me, given the intelligence of your post.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 AM
zacharyR

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Not really. I'm a ground RC guy. I'm a hair under 40. I have a few buddies/neighbors that have seen my stuff and really like them, and can tell at a glance that they are not toy grade.

The eye roll depends on who your friends are, really. If I was 23 fresh out of college hitting the clubs with all my friends, then yeah, they might have that mentality. When they get older, maybe not. So I think it depends on their age, as well as just the personality.

I honestly don't think I'd get a different reaction if I had planes. They do make some pretty cheap looking foamies, you know. It's not like any RC plane wins you instant credibility across all demographics.

Granted, I like watching them fly, and they are cool. I just don't own any, nor do I feel like you'll be shunned for owning ground vehicles, yet held in high esteem for simply owning any RTF airplane.

Honestly man, you seem like the troll. Not SyCo. He's been around here a while, and knows quite a bit. You seem more like the troll to me, given the intelligence of your post.
I've seen Syco miss LVC in troubling shooting someones question... you might back your buddy but he's no master... and i don't think he knows quite a bit.. LVC is pretty basic for you car guys is it not ..

you can hate on me and back your buddy up but it's factual that cars are viewed a lot closer to toys then airplanes.....thats it I'm done

Old 08-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Eman77

Everyone makes mistakes. I'm not saying SyCo is the "bestest car d00d in teh worldz", I'm just saying he's no troll. If he missed an LVC in helping someone troubleshoot, that doesn't suddenly turn him into a troll.

Clearly you are of a higher intellect sirrah, so we must all bow to you and your highly opinionated opinions that are only based on personal opinion.

You crack me up. I'll continue to hate on you then, due to the lack of sense in your posts. It only seems fair.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 AM
thehuntingterminator

Come on guys. Grow up. Stop fighting with each other like 3 year olds over a tonka truck and get back on topic. One hates Syco and the other likes him... he's the only one out of all 3 of you who is actually addressing my problem/question. So as far as I'm concerned, both of you are in the wrong.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

I also notice this. I have not met another single person of my age range (14) who:
Does not have a dad or friend in the hobby
Started with an on-road car
Pays for, builds, and fixes all my cars on my own

Call of Duty (Or whatever game is played due to being "cool" rather than actually being enjoyed... </rant> ) is way better than building things I guess,
Old 08-10-2012, 12:01 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

I also notice this. I have not met another single person of my age range (14) who:
Does not have a dad or friend in the hobby
Started with an on-road car
Pays for, builds, and fixes all my cars on my own

Call of Duty (Or whatever game is played due to being ''cool'' rather than actually being enjoyed... </rant> ) is way better than building things I guess,
Well I'm similar to your situation. I'm 16 and besides my brother being slightly involved in the hobby, I have pretty much no one to bash with and there are no tracks to race. I pay for all of my own stuff pretty much. I don't think I've ever just randomly asked my parents to buy me a part or something (even though they probably would) just because I like to use my own money so I can make it how I want it.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I've seen Syco miss LVC in troubling shooting someones question... you might back your buddy but he's no master... and i don't think he knows quite a bit.. LVC is pretty basic for you car guys is it not ..

you can hate on me and back your buddy up but it's factual that cars are viewed a lot closer to toys then airplanes.....thats it I'm done
ok I missed a LVC problem, and your point being?
I sometimes take for granted people try the most basic of stuff before coming on here and going IT BROKE NOW TELL ME WHATS WRONG.

The freaks comment was meant to be a light jab
Sorry if you got offended, I do admire the flyboys dedication though, and how many hours of work,and amount of cash they put into detailing an RC that can get completely totaled in a split second(and yes I seen plenty of $10k jets in videos explode). I will admit I tried to make a plane, and honestly got fed up with the length of time it took per step, how most the manual was incorrect(pertains to the model I got it was asking for parts not even in the kit, and showed 100% different parts trees), and trying to work with foam.

Also did I ever say I was a master? Only a completely ignorant tool would say they are the master of anything.
Hell like everyone else I sometimes get dumbfounded by an issue, and ask people for opinions or suggestions.
Then there is also the fact I do not own every single piece of equipment out there so there is no way in hell I know every setting for every thing out there.
I own 20+ surface RC's, owned 3 submarines, a few different ESC's, and a few nitro motors those I can give reliable advice on. The rest I can do generic advice.

As for getting out of the funk that the majority of people will hit sometime or other it will vary for each other. I dunno I find the cheap RC's that tamiya makes to be some of the most fun things I own. I own a truggy with over $400 in electronics in it, and it don't bring a smile to my face as much as my cheap ass Tamiya DF-02. And honestly whenever I do got a chance to run the DF-02 is usually coming with me along with some other RC
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Come on guys. Grow up. Stop fighting with each other like 3 year olds over a tonka truck and get back on topic. One hates Syco and the other likes him... he's the only one out of all 3 of you who is actually addressing my problem/question. So as far as I'm concerned, both of you are in the wrong.
Did you not see my post #24, where I chimed in on your topic? I did give my honest opinion on the matter, and since then I saw this other guy come in and basically slam all ground RC runners. I'm sorry if I was part of putting this distraction in your thread, but I'm not going to let that go unnoticed.

You tell me to grow up, and then call me a 3 year old? Seriously man.

What exactly are you looking for here then? You're bored with RC. You want us to solve that for you? Folks have chimed in plenty so far on their theories (some posts more lucid than others). So far it looks like you're looking for the golden answer of "hey, buy X and you'll never be bored again!". If you're bored already with the new stuff you just got, buying something else won't solve it long term.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Eman77

Also, to zachary - thanks for the PM man. It was really thoughtful of you to send more insults to me and my hobby over a PM. The personal touch really makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 PM
zacharyR

so do you guys drive your real cars to the track to play with your toy cars ?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Eman77

Enable "Block" functionality!

Aaah, that's better.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:04 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: Eman77

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Did you not see my post #24, where I chimed in on your topic? I did give my honest opinion on the matter, and since then I saw this other guy come in and basically slam all ground RC runners. I'm sorry if I was part of putting this distraction in your thread, but I'm not going to let that go unnoticed.

You tell me to grow up, and then call me a 3 year old? Seriously man.

What exactly are you looking for here then? You're bored with RC. You want us to solve that for you? Folks have chimed in plenty so far on their theories (some posts more lucid than others). So far it looks like you're looking for the golden answer of ''hey, buy X and you'll never be bored again!''. If you're bored already with the new stuff you just got, buying something else won't solve it long term.
Bringing up the fact that you helped me with one post out of 5-10 aren't very good numbers. The rest of those post were spent uselessly fighting with someone that you ultimately will probably never hear from again because you blocked them. Does littering this thread with posts about nothing helpful just annoying make you feel better? I'm blocking you because I don't want to do the same as you and spend mine and everyone else's time fighting with a 3 year old over the internet.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:05 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Yeah bro

And to the other posts

Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

Yeah bro
[img][/img]

Lol I love how some people think just because we play with toy cars means that we don't have real cars.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 PM
cumquat

Sysco i was just making the comparison to your RC skill set vrs your internet keyboard skill set ,,,you probably make at least 50 post a week ... on the conservative side .. **** i know I'm not a car guy and i see your name over and over again .. that's saying something isn't it ? maybe if you got out more you'd know what LVC is ?

and we all know Trolls don't spend all their time on the keyboard clearly they are at the track...

think your slick editing your post, dont ya? good thing i was there in time to get the full post.

you come to the car section, begin to tell us that we play with toys while you fly real hobby grade planes, and we are the trolls? ok then, you are a genius. see what i did there? do you need me to explain? ok, you called syco (and by relativity, me) a troll, when in fact YOU are the troll, so i called you a genius, when in fact we are likely smarter than you (or so your posts here indicate). now go back to your field and leave us alone.

sorry THT, i couldnt resist.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

probly been mentioned before, but driving in new places adds fun. If you drive in the same place all the time it will get boring.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:31 PM
FahrtAutoRC

THT, all you need is the right one! Try giving racing a shot, I don't even bash anymore

To the plane guy: Along the lines of toys, IMHO, I picture plane guys as akin to the adult version of a nasal-sounding pimply 14 year old building plastic models through coke bottle glasses, but that is just me, and I don't go to the plane side and vent my opinion to you. Why don't you try going to a track, borrow someone's "toy" if you like, and see how many competitive clean laps you can make, then come back and flog us when you TQ.

To the rest: Let's just drop it before the mods get in here and close down this nice mans topic.

And before I get called a child, no, not even close. I have tattoos older than some of the people on these boards.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Sysco i was just making the comparison to your RC skill set vrs your internet keyboard skill set ,,,you probably make at least 50 post a week ... on the conservative side .. **** i know I'm not a car guy and i see your name over and over again .. that's saying something isn't it ? maybe if you got out more you'd know what LVC is ?

and we all know Trolls don't spend all their time on the keyboard clearly they are at the track...

thx cumquat for the unedited edition

If you are not a car guy, and you are sick of seeing my name why are you in this section of the forum? If you weren't in an "All Forums >> RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more >> " sub forum you wouldn't see my posts period...

Hate to ask if I'm a troll what are you? I'd think you would be out flying your airplane in the wild blue yonder not posting in the ground based RC section.

Side note when I DID try to get into RC planes I found the majority of the people in the airplane forum to be not helpful in the least. I think only 1-2 people actually tried to get me on the right track the rest were just talking crap, and trying to push me to buy extremely expensive pieces of foam...

EDIT: I average approx 34 posts a week if you would do the math
Old 08-10-2012, 01:38 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

THT, all you need is the right one! Try giving racing a shot, I don't even bash anymore

To the plane guy: Along the lines of toys, IMHO, I picture plane guys as akin to the adult version of a nasal-sounding pimply 14 year old building plastic models through coke bottle glasses, but that is just me, and I don't go to the plane side and vent my opinion to you. Why don't you try going to a track, borrow someone's ''toy'' if you like, and see how many competitive clean laps you can make, then come back and flog us when you TQ.

To the rest: Let's just drop it before the mods get in here and close down this nice mans topic.

And before I get called a child, no, not even close. I have tattoos older than some of the people on these boards.
I want to race, but there is no where to race and no one to race with. I mean I race a little with my brother in the driveway, but I wish someone had a chance. Come to think of it, a guy at the LHS said someone in town has a track in their backyard, but I don't know their number...
Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

planes are indeed cool...but not for every rc hobbiest.

and syco, I like seeing your name, its a nice name

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.