Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Getting kinda bored...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:16 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting kinda bored...

I've noticed lately that driving my RCs (any of them really) isn't nearly as fun as it used to be. I think I'm getting bored. I thought having a really nice crawler that I just traded for would revive my interest, but no cigar. So what do I to in order to have the kind of fun that I used to? Branch out into other areas like nitro or maybe even helis or planes? I mean I enjoy driving my Losi Comp Crawler and my brother's brushless Rustler, but not like I used to. I think I need to try something new like a blistering on-road car or a nitro car/truck (been eyeing the new Losi Ten-SCT). What do you all think?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Getting kinda bored...

honestly I hit that wall I have fun but its not as fun as at 1st
I blame it on lack of people to drive with, and always driving on the same exact terrain
wish there was a track nearby cause even though the terrain would be the same people you run into would vary, and liven things up

Only rc's that have put any kind of a smile on my face recently were my whacky ass creations, but I attribute that more to the joy of seeing something I built, and worked on move, and not explode*

*I say that cause in other ventures I had a fair bit of things I designed, and worked on literally explode or go up in flames . The worst was on something I designed, the people I was working with not bothering to label any wires, and thinking using the same color of wire for the ground, +5v 1A, and +12v @200amps(yes 200) was a good idea...
Old 08-08-2012, 05:21 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I blame it on lack of people to drive with, and always driving on the same exact terrain
wish there was a track nearby cause even though the terrain would be the same people you run into would vary, and liven things up

Only rc's that have put any kind of a smile on my face recently were my whacky ass creations, but I attribute that more to the joy of seeing something I built, and worked on move, and not explode
Yeah I kinda feel the same. That's why I just bought my brother a body and new ESC for his Rustler so I could at least have someone to do RC stuff with.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Only rc's that have put any kind of a smile on my face recently were my whacky ass creations, but I attribute that more to the joy of seeing something I built, and worked on move, and not explode
Yeah I kinda feel the same. That's why I just bought my brother a body and new ESC for his Rustler so I could at least have someone to do RC stuff with.
I keep telling my nephews to bring their RC's, but honestly they are so forgetful its not funny. That and they are 100% disorganized cause when they do come my brother wakes them up like 5 mins b4 he has to leave the house...

BTW thats the problem with having too many rc's that are way over powered for kids to drive. I only really have one loaner, but my little nephew feels its too fast for him (DF-02 with ST tires, a ST body on it, and a 27t tamiya motor in it)
Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM
thehuntingterminator

I keep telling my nephews to bring their RC's, but honestly they are so forgetful its not funny. That and they are 100% disorganized cause when they do come my brother wakes them up like 5 mins b4 he has to leave the house...

BTW thats the problem with having too many rc's that are way over powered for kids to drive. I only really have one loaner, but my little nephew feels its too fast for him (DF-02 with ST tires, a ST body on it, and a 27t tamiya motor in it)
Lol. I know it sucks not having someone on your RC level to run with.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

huntingteminator, find a local track and race there. You guys just bash, there's alot more to rc than bashing.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:07 PM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

I am almost feeling the same.......ik the spark will come back................when fall comes around so I can run oval..........
Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: collector1231

huntingteminator, find a local track and race there. You guys just bash, there's alot more to rc than bashing.
Trust me: I've tried to find a track. There used to be a carpet track like 5 miles from me, but literally the year I got into RC they went out of business. Then, the LHS had a small dirt track but they let it die and then they recently went out of business. Stupid HobbyTown put just about everything RC out of business and it's simply because of their name being well-known, because their prices suck...
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Sounds like you need a nitro monster truck (HPI Savage) and build a jump.
I have most types of land based RC's both nitro and elec, (except for a crawler, 1/5 gasser and a SCT ) and by far the ones I drive most are nitro MT's.
When you get bored with regular jumps, learn back/frontflips.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Trust me: I've tried to find a track. There used to be a carpet track like 5 miles from me, but literally the year I got into RC they went out of business. Then, the LHS had a small dirt track but they let it die and then they recently went out of business. Stupid HobbyTown put just about everything RC out of business and it's simply because of their name being well-known, because their prices suck...
LOL
Sounds similar to me when I went looking for a track on forums I found an extremely nice one it was an indoor clay track 15 mins from me. When I went to their site for driving directions turns out the suburb closed them down 2 months prior... some BS over not being insured as an amusement park or something...
Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
thehuntingterminator

LOL
Sounds similar to me when I went looking for a track on forums I found an extremely nice one it was an indoor clay track 15 mins from me. When I went to their site for driving directions turns out the suburb closed them down 2 months prior... some BS over not being insured as an amusement park or something...
Yeah it sucks! There was a guy who was starting to build a track about 30 miles away, but I tried to contact him and never heard back. There were also a couple of guys racing in a parking lot of a closed down Walmart, but now another business has bought that building so that parking lot is in use. Dang it...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get yourself a chopper, either a walkera genius CP or mini CP (I would get the the mini cp), they are tame to learn how to hover, and can do 3d when your ready, they can take lots of abuse without breaking.

get some spare landing gear, tail booms and a extra canopy, and put a cut in the servo horns to prevent them from stripping, FUN!!!

also, the team associated MGT 8.0 is LOADS of fun, its so loud, so smokey, and so frigging powerful its such a blast! I was board with MT's till I got mine, now I have a hard time not putting gas in it every time I look at it.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

get yourself a chopper, either a walkera genius CP or mini CP (I would get the the mini cp), they are tame to learn how to hover, and can do 3d when your ready, they can take lots of abuse without breaking.

get some spare landing gear, tail booms and a extra canopy, and put a cut in the servo horns to prevent them from stripping, FUN!!!

also, the team associated MGT 8.0 is LOADS of fun, its so loud, so smokey, and so frigging powerful its such a blast! I was board with MT's till I got mine, now I have a hard time not putting gas in it every time I look at it.
I would like to have an MGT someday, but they're around $500 which is a good chunk of change. Maybe if I get bored of my Losi Comp Crawler after a good while I'll sell it and use the money for an MGT. They do look pretty awesome.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 PM
The_Shark

I would like to have an MGT someday, but they're around $500 which is a good chunk of change. Maybe if I get bored of my Losi Comp Crawler after a good while I'll sell it and use the money for an MGT. They do look pretty awesome.
yeah, they are awesome. I got mine used for $180 used. nothing wrong with getting a used one but ASK QUESTIONS!!! the 8.0 drivetrain is so strong you almost never need to worry about that, suspension is cheap and easy to fix, the only thing you need to watch is the engine, and even if bad they are only $140 bones.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM
thehuntingterminator

yeah, they are awesome. I got mine used for $180 used. nothing wrong with getting a used one but ASK QUESTIONS!!! the 8.0 drivetrain is so strong you almost never need to worry about that, suspension is cheap and easy to fix, the only thing you need to watch is the engine, and even if bad they are only $140 bones.
Yeah I used to buy everything used pretty much, but most of the time now I have the money if I save for a little while. I don't mind buying used, but it's just most of my stuff I buy off of ebay and there are so many things that you can't tell from 3-4 pictures. I wish someone would sell a roller of one...
Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Foxy

In what, a couple years in the hobby you got yourself into the community writing for some site, and like 4 months later you're bored with the hobby? Trading your RCs randomly for something you may or may not enjoy is not exactly likely to lead to satisfaction in the hobby either. Remember how excited you were about the summit.

Your history of cars isn't exactly setting the RC world alight either, I'd say you've yet to sample the best the surface hobby has to offer. So, you now have a $1000 crawler which you find boring, when what you really need is a brushless truggy you can run on 4S all day literally anywhere. Go trade that crawler for a 2nd hand Associated RC8Te and enjoy a real car. When you can outpace just about anything and outbash the MTs, then you have a chance at having some fun. A truggy on 6S still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I lift the front wheels at speed.

Weren't you looking into a TT? That should be a car that will revive your driving enthusiasm, I hear it's a peach to drive, just like a 1/8th truggy.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Switch to planes. Flipping a buggy on a dirt track or running a truck into a wall can't touch doing a figure 9 at full speed. And if you have a paved runway you can put holes into it

Note: for those who really don't know a figure 9 is a loop that gets too close to the ground - way too close - well actually it bottoms out.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:10 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't worry I'm feeling it to, but getting the trail honcho and traxxas ken block has brought it back, but in between my phases I do other things, like I'm building up a mono v twin with outdrives EP boat and I've been building some static models. I'm spewing to because I use to bash with a mate, but our misses had a falling out so we dont see them any more, but to top it off I bought a losi 5ive to race.... Stupid me dident do my research and the track is 2h drive away.... Bugger that. Oh yeah the only class for it is a 30.5cc and under 4x4, no way a stock 26cc 5ive would keep up with a 30.5cc MCD or a 30.5 5ive. So now I have one hell of a expensive basher. Still no regrets.... 1/5 scale still gets me going, no kidding, it defiantly gets my heart pumping... Kind of scares me a little bit each time.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:25 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

THATS WHY I WENT OUT AND GOT A NEW GIRL FRIEND
Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 AM
ncsky

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Switch to planes. Flipping a buggy on a dirt track or running a truck into a wall can't touch doing a figure 9 at full speed. And if you have a paved runway you can put holes into it

Note: for those who really don't know a figure 9 is a loop that gets too close to the ground - way too close - well actually it bottoms out.

I would have to agree with this one. If you add some planes to the mix then you will probably find more people to hang out with by locating a rc flying field nearby or park that others fly in.

By your location this club looks like it might be close:

http://www.tylermodelers.com/

You could still keep the surface vehicles and vary what you are doing so you don't jus do the same thing each time.

Good Luck

Old 08-09-2012, 05:42 AM
ncsky

ORIGINAL: ncsky

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

I would have to agree with this one. If you add some planes to the mix then you will probably find more people to hang out with by locating a rc flying field nearby or park that others fly in.

By your location this club looks like it might be close:

http://www.tylermodelers.com/

Ijust got into flying which is a challenge each time (but a fun one). Even watching some of the experienced pilots at our field flying 3D or large scale planes going 140mph is exciting.

The social aspect of a flying club is also great for hanging out with other rc people. Alot of them do multiple types of rc.

You could still keep the surface vehicles and vary what you are doing so you don't just do the same thing each time.

Good Luck

Old 08-09-2012, 05:46 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: Foxy

In what, a couple years in the hobby you got yourself into the community writing for some site, and like 4 months later you're bored with the hobby? Trading your RCs randomly for something you may or may not enjoy is not exactly likely to lead to satisfaction in the hobby either. Remember how excited you were about the summit.

Your history of cars isn't exactly setting the RC world alight either, I'd say you've yet to sample the best the surface hobby has to offer. So, you now have a $1000 crawler which you find boring, when what you really need is a brushless truggy you can run on 4S all day literally anywhere. Go trade that crawler for a 2nd hand Associated RC8Te and enjoy a real car. When you can outpace just about anything and outbash the MTs, then you have a chance at having some fun. A truggy on 6S still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I lift the front wheels at speed.

Weren't you looking into a TT? That should be a car that will revive your driving enthusiasm, I hear it's a peach to drive, just like a 1/8th truggy.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not bored, just not as excited about it as I used to be. And it's not that I don't like my new crawler. This thing is amazing (I've never had a true crawler before) on what it can do, and its especially fun being able to drive it inside instead of sweating to death outside. I'm just kinda mad that I had to get a new motor, but it'll work out in the end. I would like a truggy, but the dang things are so expensive...
Old 08-09-2012, 05:53 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I got into building RC airboats when I got bored... I'm an engine nut, and acquired a few airplane engines free of charge. With some time, some wood (or foam or plastic or whatever strikes your fancy), an engine, and a few props, you can build an airboat that will scoot across the local soccer field as fast as a monster truck. If you have a pond close by, even better yet.

I've built 4 so far, with a 5th one in the works. I run engines from .29ci to .90ci and have a blast. My .46 powered modified flat bottom runs about 5mph slower than a ProBoat Impulse 31 BL. Pretty good considering my airboat is a pound heavier or so..

I am also getting into airplanes. I have 8 or 9 running aircraft engines so it was a no brainer to try flying them one of these days. I have two planes, and one is an ex-Army target drone.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Eman77

Having someone to bash around with is key, it makes it much more enjoyable.

I hear ya on the "too fast" bit, for kids. That's why I have a range of setups, a 23T in a DT-02, a MM 5700 in a Durga, and the "fast enough to hurt someone" 801xt. The higher turned brushed stuff is better for the kids to drive, and honestly still fun. The bonus is that electronics are cheap for a secondhand ESC and brushed motor, since everyone is dumping them for brushless.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Mr67Stang

I did not read the other replies so forgive me if this was already said.

COMPETITION!

It gets you with other people interested in the same thing. I used to race nitro touring with a club in Okinawa Japan. It was the best time I ever had with R/C cars. When I was reassigned stateside, no one raced touring cars. I was bored and quit them. I picked up airplanes and joined a local club and back in full swing dropping cash like it was on fire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.