Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tight motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:20 PM
j0e331

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tight motor

Yesterday i picked up a new slayer 3.3 and im having issues with the starting on it. It seems the motor is super tight to the point where the ez-start cant spin it over, its been doing this since i took it out of the box. I figured its normal for the first few tanks of gas for it to be this tight, but even after about 7 tanks, the ez-start still has trouble spinning the motor over when cold.

For me to get it started i have spin the flywheel by hand until its off the compression stroke. It takes a few times doing this and eventually the starter can spin it by itself. Once it starts once and the motor is warm the ez-start has no problem spinning it over. But if i let the motor sit for a little and it cools down, i have the same issues

Is the motor supposed to be this tight? Does this sound normal or could there be something wrong? Once the car is started, i have no issues with anything else. Its running pretty rich and this truck flys. I love it

I have a 2.5 nitro rustler and i have never had any issues like this with that motor and ez-start. And yes the ez-start battery is fully charged.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Big Alice

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Tight motor

Heat it up with a heat gun to about 150-200 degrees fahrenheit. It'll turn over a lot easier.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:41 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: j0e331

Yesterday i picked up a new slayer 3.3 and im having issues with the starting on it. It seems the motor is super tight to the point where the ez-start cant spin it over, its been doing this since i took it out of the box. I figured its normal for the first few tanks of gas for it to be this tight, but even after about 7 tanks, the ez-start still has trouble spinning the motor over when cold.

For me to get it started i have spin the flywheel by hand until its off the compression stroke. It takes a few times doing this and eventually the starter can spin it by itself. Once it starts once and the motor is warm the ez-start has no problem spinning it over. But if i let the motor sit for a little and it cools down, i have the same issues

Is the motor supposed to be this tight? Does this sound normal or could there be something wrong? Once the car is started, i have no issues with anything else. Its running pretty rich and this truck flys. I love it

I have a 2.5 nitro rustler and i have never had any issues like this with that motor and ez-start. And yes the ez-start battery is fully charged.
Heat the engine and loosen the glow plug until started. Traxxas engines tend to break rods if theyare broken in cold.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM
j0e331

Im past the break in period. so i would of figured it would be loosened up by now

I dont have a heat gun i can take places so i kinda screwed with that idea
Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 PM
j0e331

just an update. i talked to traxxas and they say this is common for the 3.3 engines and it will loosen up as its ran more (obviously)

i took my car out today and i didnt have any issues with the starting, so thats good.