Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Tight motor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tight motor

Yesterday i picked up a new slayer 3.3 and im having issues with the starting on it. It seems the motor is super tight to the point where the ez-start cant spin it over, its been doing this since i took it out of the box. I figured its normal for the first few tanks of gas for it to be this tight, but even after about 7 tanks, the ez-start still has trouble spinning the motor over when cold.

For me to get it started i have spin the flywheel by hand until its off the compression stroke. It takes a few times doing this and eventually the starter can spin it by itself. Once it starts once and the motor is warm the ez-start has no problem spinning it over. But if i let the motor sit for a little and it cools down, i have the same issues

Is the motor supposed to be this tight? Does this sound normal or could there be something wrong? Once the car is started, i have no issues with anything else. Its running pretty rich and this truck flys. I love it

I have a 2.5 nitro rustler and i have never had any issues like this with that motor and ez-start. And yes the ez-start battery is fully charged.
    Atomik MM450, Traxxas Slayer Pro & Rustler, Blade Mcpx & CX2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tight motor

Heat it up with a heat gun to about 150-200 degrees fahrenheit. It'll turn over a lot easier.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: j0e331

Yesterday i picked up a new slayer 3.3 and im having issues with the starting on it. It seems the motor is super tight to the point where the ez-start cant spin it over, its been doing this since i took it out of the box. I figured its normal for the first few tanks of gas for it to be this tight, but even after about 7 tanks, the ez-start still has trouble spinning the motor over when cold.

For me to get it started i have spin the flywheel by hand until its off the compression stroke. It takes a few times doing this and eventually the starter can spin it by itself. Once it starts once and the motor is warm the ez-start has no problem spinning it over. But if i let the motor sit for a little and it cools down, i have the same issues

Is the motor supposed to be this tight? Does this sound normal or could there be something wrong? Once the car is started, i have no issues with anything else. Its running pretty rich and this truck flys. I love it

I have a 2.5 nitro rustler and i have never had any issues like this with that motor and ez-start. And yes the ez-start battery is fully charged.
    Heat the engine and loosen the glow plug until started. Traxxas engines tend to break rods if theyare broken in cold.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im past the break in period. so i would of figured it would be loosened up by now

I dont have a heat gun i can take places so i kinda screwed with that idea

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just an update. i talked to traxxas and they say this is common for the 3.3 engines and it will loosen up as its ran more (obviously)

i took my car out today and i didnt have any issues with the starting, so thats good.