Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

No Love for HPI on RCU

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: No Love for HPI on RCU

Sounds like we need to have the big traxxas debat...
To me its funny that there are guys that have never owned a single traxxas or may of owned one years ago, That hate there products and continue to badmouth them, then on the otherside there are some massive traxxas fans that own nearly every modle available and love them

Who should we belive people that have no real experance with there products?
or people with heaps of experance?

Its just like the revo, doesent matter how manny awards it has won, some people think its over complicated???? what does that even mean anyway? isthat a insult on there mentality because they cant understand the suspension??? do they feel the same about the 1/16 cars?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

To me its funny that there are guys that have never owned a single traxxas or may of owned one years ago, That hate there products and continue to badmouth them, then on the otherside there are some massive traxxas fans that own nearly every modle available and love them

Who should we belive people that have no real experance with there products?
or people with heaps of experance?

Its just like the revo, doesent matter how manny awards it has won, some people think its over complicated???? what does that even mean anyway? isthat a insult on there mentality because they cant understand the suspension??? do they feel the same about the 1/16 cars?
well the revo (at least the merv) is way over complicated. The sheer amount of screws that need to be removed to do anything on it is pretty ludicrous.
I think I had to take out well over 18 screws to get the center slipper out to swap it to a diff.
most other RC's its 4 screws out
The pede 4X4 was also similar had to take the rear bulkhead off, rear diff out then take the center apart, and something else before you could remove the gear. Then the spot to squeeze the diff/slipper into I couldn't fit the biggest spur for the vehicle in it...
It might not be bad when the vehicle is working perfectly fine, but if you are playing with gearing or strip a spur its a friggin PITA that has to be done on a bench vs say most other vehicles you could replace the spur in the field. I've had one HPI that was almost as bad the RS4 MT2 to adjust the slipper you had to take half the center case apart...

Most modern vehicles you can get the spur out in 4 screws not 18(or was it more I know I posted a count on a thread lol)
That is what is meant by overly complicated
Also this is coming from a owner of a merv, and a pede 4X4 who owns plenty of other vehicles in the same class by other manufacturers to compare them too.
But that is just how I see it.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is complaining about the amount of screws really justified?
use a electric driver...

all jokes aside, generally if something is secured with more screws wouldent it make it stronger? and i thought the merv was getting great reviews because of its strength. so if it was basic and easy to work on like 99% of its compertion would it be as strong as it is now??? problary not.

I dont know seems a bit silly complaining about it been more secure, to be honest thats the first time ive ever heard that.
Soon we will be having people complaining about there 30.5cc KM motor having 4 head bolts where there 26cc CY only had 2
or another example, some may say that the RPM rear bumper mount for slash/rustler is over complicated because it bolts on different from the stock one and makes access to the gear cover harder, but who cares? it makes it stronger...

I think alot of it is just the way some cars are. I personally dont buy cars based on how easy they are to work on, and I allways fix at home.
the Rustler, slash & pede are extremly easy cars to work on
and the revo 3.3 and slayer are just as easy too.

out of all my cars (Losi 5ive, Traxxas Revo Platnium, Traxxas Slash 2wd, HPI MT2, Traxxas Rustler, Losi XXX-NT AD, Colt EP Thunder, HBX Bonzer, Great Vigor V2000, Tamiya TA01, Tamiya M03, HPI E10, Hobao Hyper 10e, Tamiya Baja King, HBX Rocket, Losi Micro SCT, Traxxas 1/16 ken block & Axial Trail Honcho 2) I find all but one easy to work on, sure some take more time than others to adjust things or replace things. great example ball diffs, the losi XXX-NT its so easy compared to some of the tamiya's.
now the only car I find hardto work on is the Losi 5ive, but thats only because of its size and weight
Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, more screws does not mean stronger. it really means they are over compensating for a bad design. if strength came from the number of screws, then 8th scales should be among the weakest class out there. there is something to be said about simplicity.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

I don't really think this is the thread to do it and it would be more of a silly game than a debate, it's not as though anyone is going to suddenly change their views on Traxxas.

For the record Syco if you need to take out 18 screws to get at the slipper on a mini e-revo you must be doing it wrong, were the skid plates removed or something?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:52 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no one gives ofna the time of day at the track, but I tell you what, people get ticked off when my car out handles and out jumps their 8ights and RC8's

no one gives the MGT the time of day either here, even though its a million times better truck than the revo and t-maxx, and in my opinion just as good as a savage (except for jumping crazy heights, but the mgt 8.0 is faster and handles terrain better)

nothing I own is main stream and I like it that way
Old 08-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Eman77

use a electric driver...

I know you're just giving him a hard time, but his complaint is justified in my mind, if you have to access that part over and over again. I had an E-Savage whose diffs and drivetrain (in general) had issues under the power I was using. I had to open the diffs over and over again, and due to the TVP design, the amount of screws one had to undo just to get to it was a royal pain. It gets really REALLY annoying when you just want to check that 1 shim, or add another, or check the bevel gears, troubleshoot an issue, etc. Makes you really appreciate the "racing" designs where you get to that stuff far quicker (be it the diffs, slipper, you name it).

Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

I don't really think this is the thread to do it and it would be more of a silly game than a debate, it's not as though anyone is going to suddenly change their views on Traxxas.

For the record Syco if you need to take out 18 screws to get at the slipper on a mini e-revo you must be doing it wrong, were the skid plates removed or something?
Sorry meant change out the center diff. I typed that right before I went to bed so my bad[:@]
its like 2-3 to get the spur out from what I remember

But still why in gods name is it so many screws to take out the center transmission. Or better yet why didn't they just use a direct drive setup seeing the transmission IMO is overkill, and kinda pointless as its not a 2 speed just more parts to break as I see it.

To phax reasons I don't use an electric screwdriver
1: I don't own one as I generally hate charging things up, and like doing things on the spur of the moment
2: I've used one in plastic in the past, and have ended up stripping the screw holes. So I prefer doing it by hand to prevent that.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Eman77

use a electric driver...

I know you're just giving him a hard time, but his complaint is justified in my mind, if you have to access that part over and over again. I had an E-Savage whose diffs and drivetrain (in general) had issues under the power I was using. I had to open the diffs over and over again, and due to the TVP design, the amount of screws one had to undo just to get to it was a royal pain. It gets really REALLY annoying when you just want to check that 1 shim, or add another, or check the bevel gears, troubleshoot an issue, etc. Makes you really appreciate the ''racing'' designs where you get to that stuff far quicker (be it the diffs, slipper, you name it).

tis why I like the MGT 8.0 spur change, unscrew it and the support, done, to remove diff, remove skidplate and 4 screws up top done, to remove transmission, remove linkage, unbolt from bottom done, remove engine- loosen pipe set screw, 4 bolts on the bottom done. I went through and fixed up the entire truck when I got it, and I had it apart, cleaned, fixed and adjusted in a couple hours, and thats both diffs, all the arms, wheel bearings, shocks ect.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Haddi Taha

Imagine a rc demolition derby between these 

Team A
HPI Savage
Thunder Tiger MT4
Associated SC8E

vs 

Team B
Any 3 different Traxxas models

I hope there is a LHS around because the Traxass part support will come in handy
Old 08-23-2012, 12:58 AM
Melololo

hey guys come on, all of us are rc fans, enjoy alot of fun the rc stuffs gave us. it's worthless to debate which one is better between the Hpi and Traxxas let alone the 'fuse' is screw.

it's the same when we were talking about the mini 4wd tamiya and auldey.(sorry guys maybe you don't know this brand, it's the tycoon of toys in China ). to me, both of them gave me a memorable past.

back to the topic, actually i haven't owned one Hpi or Traxxas, i cant afford it. they are luxury in China. mine are totally made in China but fun wouldn't fade away haha.