Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Aluminum Clutch Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 04:49 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aluminum Clutch Shoes

Today, I upgraded my Losi 810 with a M2C three shoe clutch system. The clutch nut would not come off (we tried EVERYTHING). See my YouTube channel for the gory details, but I ended up having to cut it off with my Dremel.

Anyway, after I put the aluminum clutch shoes, I realized I forgot to put shims underneath them on the flywheel posts (per the instructions). I ran it after putting the new clutch shoes on and everything seemed fine.

My question:
Should I bother taking it apart again and putting the new shims on the clutch shoes? What sort of tangible difference will I notice not having the shims on there?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:12 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aluminum Clutch Shoes

If you don't install the shims on the flywheel pins before installing the shoes, the shoes will dig into the flywheel as they wear and "mushroom", causing them to stick.
Best to install the shims, then maintain the clutch every gallon or so.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:37 PM
JohnP2

Damn. That is what I was fearing when I started thinking about it. Guess I learned a lesson here. First time putting on aluminums - did not think of that. I lost the shims (well, they are deep in to some garbage I don't want to get into).

I'll call M2C tomorrow, and see if they will be good guys and send me a few shims (it's cost them .50 cents max.). I'll continue to be a good customer is they do. It's completely my fault, and I know if I owned a commercial site, I would spent fifty cents to turn a satisfied customer into a raving fan. ;-)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:44 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never used the M2C setup, but IME from the Savage and MGT 8.0 that's what happens with alum shoes, the Dynamite DYNP5180 shoes have the shim built into the shoe.
The Savage has no shims, and the MGT 8.0 has a plastic "washer" that covers the entire flywheel.
If you keep it maintained and don't have it overgeared it should be okay.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:14 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the shims are somewhat required. The springs will press the shoes into the flywheel at a slight angle, and they'll probably start sticking after a while. Right now, you're probably fine, but I would definitely install them. Clutches like this require maintenance occasionally. The shoes will eventually glaze, which can cause them to overheat and wear abnormally fast. To service, just pop off the flywheel, clean them up a bit, then scuff the shoes with some emery cloth or very fine sandpaper, like 300 grit, just to knock the glaze off.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 PM
JohnP2

Thanks Proanti (and where the hell have you been??) I was awaiting your responseas you were the guy who recommended them - which I duly appreciate, as you know.. ;-) I will definitely be maintaining them (removing the glaze, etc.)

I spoke with the owner of M2C and he told me his system does not need shims as the Flywheel has a built in shim. I did notice this on the Flywheel, but referenced the instructions (and the fact it came with shims). He did not know how to respond, and kept saying "Look at theFlywheel. My designdoes not need shims".This leads me to believe his instructionsmust be outdatedboilerplate text and shims are uneeded part he's sending.

He did tell me "I'll send you some shims at no charge if you want, but as mentioned they aren't needed with the Flywheel you have".

I spoke with this gentleman at length when I purchased the clutch system, and he was very accommodating and answered all my questions....so I believe he is sincere and not trying to get out of saving 50 cents. ;-)

Once I get the new carb I'll tell you I liked them. I did run it once (before the HSNneedle came out) and noticed a tangible difference.

Thanks again for everyone's replies. I feel I've learned quite a bit.

All in all, from a business perspective, I can recommend M2C Racing. They are great to deal with!