Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Racers v. Bashers (the vehicles not the drivers)

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Racers v. Bashers (the vehicles not the drivers)

Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 AM
johndavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Racers v. Bashers (the vehicles not the drivers)

i race and bash some.  i fing my flux capisitor always going out  lol.  best to buy what you are going to use a rc for. one is no better than the other. all have their good points and bad. its like deciding between a ford and a chevy   one will buy their personal preferance.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 AM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I kind of think RCU should be something of a bashers' refuge. Racers can talk about drilling their shock pistons and wax theoretical about 1,000 diff oil changes elsewhere..
see but that right there is wrong, racers and bashers are the same people. we all share a common interest.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

lets just agree that all cars have problems, except the ones we are fanboys of
Fixed that for you.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...this thread was a honest thread asking about the durability and capability differences between race machines and bash machines............ Some of us " in the know" have posted honest and fair assessments of the differences as the OP of the thread has asked................ But now I read some posts and it seems the bashers have gotten all up in arms claiming we are trying to tell people what to buy, and that we are looking down our noses at the bash machines and the people who own them ? Like seriously ? really ? I do not see any racers showing any sort of disrespect towards the bashers at all...........If anything its the bashers insulting the racers and showing almost a hidden aggression towards the racers........In this thread I have not told anyone what type of machine to buy, nor have I insulted any bashers or their machines whatsoever.............. I have given my opinion of the mechanical differences between a typical bash machine and a typical race machine.........but nothing more then that .......everyone is entitled to have their preferences, but the mechanical differences between the machines is fact, not preference..the two should not be confused........Just because a racer is usually better built and more durable doesn't mean it is the ideal machine for everyone..Nor do I expect it to be the only choice a person should make.......I do however beleive that there are many bashers here who would greatly enjoy adding a truggy to their already existing MT collection........ some guys here who own 6 Savages, 3 Revo's,2 T-Maxx's would really be well served to add a truggy to the collection..they may not be a MT, but they are one rocking fast and durable bash machine..definitely a pile of fun..........thats all I think about this........and thats all I want to get across...is the fact that race machines are very durable, and any bashers who were maybe curious about trying a truggy/Buggy but were afraid it would not be durable enough should rest easy in the fact that the race machines are usually more durable then the bash machines.......A basher would have nothing to worry about giving a race machine a try.......Unfortunately there is a strong opposition on this forum to people using a race machine as a basher... 2 years ago the opposition was even worse...back then the hardcores would fight tooth and nail to say the racers were too fragile and not reliable enough to bash with...however 2 years later that argument is out the window as too many here now have race machines and have clearly found the racers to be more reliable and durable then their bash machines............ My point here is that there is no issue with me with someone preferring a bash machine.......however I would like them to choose between the machines for the right reasons....as unfortunately there has been a pile of false information posted condemning the race machines that has unfortunately scared many away from actually trying a race machine out.............best to always have a open mind and be willing to try new things out...............

Here in Canada we have some very open and rough terrain, gravel pits, sand hills, dirt hills, dirt cliffs, dirt dunes, dirt tracks...and for me the race machines(truggy) make a better basher...I can go over rougher terrain at much higher speeds then I could with my MT's...I can climb the dirt cliffs better, jump the dirt hills better, gravel pits and track .....the truggy being low and well planted can fly over the terrain at wide open throttle and not miss a beat.......it is very intense and very fun...but we are finding terrain that actually pushes the truggy to its limits...unfortunately with a truggy you need to find challenging open terrain to have fun bashing ..they are too planted and too stable to be fun driving around in a field......Truggies excel at going fast, and thats the way I bash mine,...usually blasting wide open over everything I can....its amazing sometimes what they can get over with some momentum behind them LOL...they also climb hills very well ! we have these loose silty dirt cliffs here that the truggies just love...
Old 09-11-2012, 06:23 AM
The_Shark

the illure with MT's for me is thier topheavy, cumbersome handling and too much torque, to me, if I'm bashing and I don't have to flip the car over a few times i'm bored.

MT's do have their place, but they are not the most durable.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 AM
pcarluvr

Hello, my name is Dave and I'm a "basher"! I LOVE R/C, always have and always will. I'm not a racer due to this hobby is not very popular where I live and there are not many tracks near me. Also, I love Monster Trucks. They are not raced so kinda puts me out of the racer realm. I do not and will not put down another r/c'er or their choice of manufacturer or weather they race or bash. To me, this hobby is for ME. I love it and it's my "thing" to get away with what little free time I can get. If there were and opportunity for me to race on a track somewhere, I would show up with my basher vehicle and race. Would I win...prob not, would it survive the track...maybe/not, would I have had fun trying it...Yes! (prob piss off the serious racers but oh well) My point is, I just love to run my truck. I love kickin up dirt and gravel and jumping and having fun. I like to push it harder and harder to see what it can and cannot do and upgrade it so that next time it can do that. I love chasing cats/dogs/squirrels, etc... It's my escape and if I'm frowned upon by others, then I feel bad for them.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 AM
jayjay283

Bashers should be allowed to "run what they brung" at the track hehe. I brought a Muggy on 40 series Mulchers with a MMM 2200 on 6s to a track a guy was in the process of finishing. Paid $10 to "practice" with a few guys with slashes and sc-10s. I had made all new lines, ruts in jumps and berm angels throughout the whole track after a few packs. I bet he made some new rules after seeing that the next day.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

the illure with MT's for me is thier topheavy, cumbersome handling and too much torque, to me, if I'm bashing and I don't have to flip the car over a few times i'm bored.

MT's do have their place, but they are not the most durable.

all machines rightly have their place........

unfortunately I flip my truggy over plenty of times ........ however usually if she goes over its usually at full speed over something I have no business going over LOL .........So when you crash, you usually crash big.........

I have driven some impressive Savages too.....had plenty of fun with them...most were fully customized hopped up trucks...with lowered , extended chassis, upgraded shocks..All the bells and whistles including modified 28 engine........The last one was a replica of Savage Sam's truck with a mod Nova 28-7...was an absolute rocket and even entertaining to run on a bare grass field......doing 25MPH it will pull itself over backwards if you hit the slightest lift on the ground..just a tiny bump and the front was up and over.........The truck was blast to drive, and definitely had a wow factor to it ......
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Eman77

I think we all need a reminder of what racing is all about. It was stated ever so eloquently in the 1990 movie Days of Thunder:

Harry Hogge: Cole, you're wandering all over the track!
Cole Trickle: Yeah, well this #@$@$ just slammed into me.
Harry Hogge: No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'.

[8D]
Old 09-11-2012, 08:14 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: steed2

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I kind of think RCU should be something of a bashers' refuge. Racers can talk about drilling their shock pistons and wax theoretical about 1,000 diff oil changes elsewhere..
see but that right there is wrong, racers and bashers are the same people. we all share a common interest.

Yes and no.. Some people do both(myself included), but the mentalities are very different. Racing is dominated by a mentality that afaic is humorless and overly analytical. Racing is confining. You have to run within the confines of the track, and on forums anyway, all people talk about is the lamest, most boring technical minutiae.. It's like hanging out in a library when you're expecting to go to a party.. So I think the interests are not always the same. I want screaming engines and big air and to basically just blast around and have fun.. Racers want to talk about drilling shock pistons, or whatever other stupefyingly boring details go into shaving 1/10 a second off their laptimes..

There is also the factor of people getting overly competitive, and sucking the fun out of it all - as with everything. In my own experience, I saw it with soccer, which I played intensively from age five on up to the college level - at which point I decided "I'm in college and want to enjoy it, so screw practice and pressure every day - play rec league and have fun...", to skateboarding, which also took a similar route, and went and got all overly technical and dry and lame instead of agro big-air craziness..

And furthermore, contrary to what one or two here might say, racers do indeed look down their noses at bashers. Just look at how often some newb comes along and wants a buggy for having fun with, and soon he's told he needs TWO new X-ray kits or whatever... And if you follow the forums, it's true - you DO need two kits.. It's sensible if you're gonna race. And of course a backup engine, and four sets of tires, and on and on.. With so much invested, no wonder it's all so uptight...

Whatever the case, the serious racers will continue to prattle on about shock pistons on their forums, and periodically make fun of RCU and all us clueless newbs.. So I say let them - this forum should be about having fun...
Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: Eman77

I think we all need a reminder of what racing is all about. It was stated ever so eloquently in the 1990 movie Days of Thunder:

Harry Hogge: Cole, you're wandering all over the track!
Cole Trickle: Yeah, well this #@$@$ just slammed into me.
Harry Hogge: No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'.

[8D]
Oh and how could we forget this piece of racing wisdom.

"Speed. To be able to control it. To know that I can control something that's out of control." Cole Trickle

...I don't know whether to cry or fist pump.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Eman77

Fist pump for sure. [8D]
Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 AM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: supertib

Wow...this thread was a honest thread asking about the durability and capability differences between race machines and bash machines............ Some of us '' in the know'' have posted honest and fair assessments of the differences as the OP of the thread has asked................ But now I read some posts and it seems the bashers have gotten all up in arms claiming we are trying to tell people what to buy, and that we are looking down our noses at the bash machines and the people who own them ? Like seriously ? really ? I do not see any racers showing any sort of disrespect towards the bashers at all...........If anything its the bashers insulting the racers and showing almost a hidden aggression towards the racers........In this thread I have not told anyone what type of machine to buy, nor have I insulted any bashers or their machines whatsoever.............. I have given my opinion of the mechanical differences between a typical bash machine and a typical race machine.........but nothing more then that .......everyone is entitled to have their preferences, but the mechanical differences between the machines is fact, not preference..the two should not be confused........Just because a racer is usually better built and more durable doesn't mean it is the ideal machine for everyone..Nor do I expect it to be the only choice a person should make.......I do however beleive that there are many bashers here who would greatly enjoy adding a truggy to their already existing MT collection........ some guys here who own 6 Savages, 3 Revo's,2 T-Maxx's would really be well served to add a truggy to the collection..they may not be a MT, but they are one rocking fast and durable bash machine..definitely a pile of fun..........thats all I think about this........and thats all I want to get across...is the fact that race machines are very durable, and any bashers who were maybe curious about trying a truggy/Buggy but were afraid it would not be durable enough should rest easy in the fact that the race machines are usually more durable then the bash machines.......A basher would have nothing to worry about giving a race machine a try.......Unfortunately there is a strong opposition on this forum to people using a race machine as a basher... 2 years ago the opposition was even worse...back then the hardcores would fight tooth and nail to say the racers were too fragile and not reliable enough to bash with...however 2 years later that argument is out the window as too many here now have race machines and have clearly found the racers to be more reliable and durable then their bash machines............ My point here is that there is no issue with me with someone preferring a bash machine.......however I would like them to choose between the machines for the right reasons....as unfortunately there has been a pile of false information posted condemning the race machines that has unfortunately scared many away from actually trying a race machine out.............best to always have a open mind and be willing to try new things out...............

Here in Canada we have some very open and rough terrain, gravel pits, sand hills, dirt hills, dirt cliffs, dirt dunes, dirt tracks...and for me the race machines(truggy) make a better basher...I can go over rougher terrain at much higher speeds then I could with my MT's...I can climb the dirt cliffs better, jump the dirt hills better, gravel pits and track .....the truggy being low and well planted can fly over the terrain at wide open throttle and not miss a beat.......it is very intense and very fun...but we are finding terrain that actually pushes the truggy to its limits...unfortunately with a truggy you need to find challenging open terrain to have fun bashing ..they are too planted and too stable to be fun driving around in a field......Truggies excel at going fast, and thats the way I bash mine,...usually blasting wide open over everything I can....its amazing sometimes what they can get over with some momentum behind them LOL...they also climb hills very well ! we have these loose silty dirt cliffs here that the truggies just love...
i really do want to buy a truggy, I am going to save up for one. Or a buggy, I am undecided, I think a buggy would be really cool too, with it being smaller, I imagine their tough as nails.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:17 PM
jayjay283

A bashers most used tool is a Dremel with a diamond cutter, a racers most used tool is a synthetic lube bottle with a syringe tip