Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

my $83 ECX Boost:)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default my $83 ECX Boost:)

Just arrived today.
Shipped quickly too.

I pulled it out of the box, set the batt on the charger and gave it a look over. Looks new. Ad stated it was an "open box" but new item.

Took it out for its 1st drive. Buggy went 8 feet then locked up the brakes. No radio signal. The radio is indeed the cheapest feeling part of the rig.

So I yanked out the AM rx and put in a flysky 2.4 and went back to driving. Buggy isnt fast on the top end with its 20t motor and 2000mah nimh pack, but its very quick off the line.

It has a fair amount of understeer tho. Not sure if its the front tires, or if a suspension adjustment can get rid of some of the understeer.

At any rate, I have a leapord brushless system on the way that should make the buggy really fly!

For $120 (cost new) its a buggy thats worth the money IMO. But for $80 and only needing a $10 Rx its a great deal.

I will probly slap some 2.2 paddle tires on it once the brushless system is installed
Old 08-30-2012, 04:57 PM
celica49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my $83 ECX Boost:)

Nice find man. I think my next purchase will probably be a 2wd 1/10 buggy too
Old 08-30-2012, 05:19 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Pics or it ain't real
Old 08-30-2012, 06:09 PM
thehuntingterminator

I reviewed a Boost a while back and it's a great little buggy for the price. My radio sucked too, not sure why Horizon doesn't do something about that.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

I reviewed a Boost a while back and it's a great little buggy for the price. My radio sucked too, not sure why Horizon doesn't do something about that.
It's difficult to package a higher quality radio system and still keep the package price as low as it is. However, they have equipped the Ruckus (similar to a Stampede) and the Torment (SC truck) with a Spektrum DX2E. It's the bottom of the line system, but it works as well as the best of them.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:17 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

It's difficult to package a higher quality radio system and still keep the package price as low as it is. However, they have equipped the Ruckus (similar to a Stampede) and the Torment (SC truck) with a Spektrum DX2E. It's the bottom of the line system, but it works as well as the best of them.

then there are the lower end kyoshos mentioned in another thread (REALLY thinking hard about getting one) which are around $140ish with 2.4ghz and all just no crappy battery of charger.(personally I'd prefer a 3.4ghz radio over the crap batteries, and chargers RTRs generally come with)
Old 08-30-2012, 09:47 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with having a nicer radio in lieu of a basic battery and charger. But as long as I'm going down that road; Iend up with a kit or ARR and building it to my specs anyhow. That's another topic entirely.

The folks who don't know one thing about RC but want to start up tend to like "everything in one box" packages such as the ECX vehicles because they can sometimes be overwhelmed by the variety of equipment that's available. Also, they like the convenience and feel like the whole package is a better deal. Think of a father / son situation who saw someone driving a hobby RC at the local park. That sparked their interest so they find themselves at a hobby shop and are blown away by vast selection of brands, vehicles, components, etc... Then they see (or the sales guy shows them) a box that has everything you need, even batteries!

sandrunner, let's see a vid of the car when you set it up with brushless, please. The shop Iwork at part time sells ECX, but Iwant to be able to show folks the upgrade potential in these relatively basic cars.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:15 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I agree with having a nicer radio in lieu of a basic battery and charger. But as long as I'm going down that road; I end up with a kit or ARR and building it to my specs anyhow. That's another topic entirely.

The folks who don't know one thing about RC but want to start up tend to like ''everything in one box'' packages such as the ECX vehicles because they can sometimes be overwhelmed by the variety of equipment that's available. Also, they like the convenience and feel like the whole package is a better deal. Think of a father / son situation who saw someone driving a hobby RC at the local park. That sparked their interest so they find themselves at a hobby shop and are blown away by vast selection of brands, vehicles, components, etc... Then they see (or the sales guy shows them) a box that has everything you need, even batteries!

sandrunner, let's see a vid of the car when you set it up with brushless, please. The shop I work at part time sells ECX, but I want to be able to show folks the upgrade potential in these relatively basic cars.
I will be making a vid. Im gonna take a clip of it all stock, and then with the BL system.

There are a few vids online with stock (plastic) gear trans. But there is a metal gear trans upgrade as well. I bought the upgrade off ebay last night....but I will run it brushless on the stock gears and see how long it lasts.

The radio felt cheap, but I likely got a dud cause of how I bought it. The seller's ad said they get their stuff from overstock, customer returns, and such.

But the buggy looked never run. All the packages were sealed.

I cant complain for $80.

Once I drop in the $60 brushless system Ill be rocking a $140 brushless buggy

I will get pics up later guys!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:36 AM
Foxy

Good find on the Boost, looking forward to seeing a vid.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Just thought about it if I remember right wasn't one of the large complaints early on that the radio was DOA most the time? (kinda remember TBJ saying something about that when they 1st came out)
Maybe you got one of the early units.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I seem to recall the same thing on the radios.

Another note:
on both my boost and my torment, the tape holding the speed controler down SUCKS. Both models came out of the box with the ESC only just hanging onto the plate.

A simple zip tie on the boost and velcro on the torment fixed the issue, but its gotta be the weakest double sided tape ever.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78565.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1796958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62442.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1796959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92934.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1796960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46293.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1796961  
Old 09-01-2012, 10:34 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I got the toro brushless system installed today.

I did take some video, but will have to re-do it once I can gear up the buggy. The stock pinion gear is too small for the brushless motor.

The toro system I got is the 60amp esc adn 3300kv motor. the program card is easy to use and works good.

I did get a motor who's bullet connector (just one of them) had solder around the plug itself. this made it really hard to plug into the esc's connector.

Other than that, the toro seems a pretty good system. It costs what the ezrun 35amp system USED to cost (its now like $80 on hobbypartz)

The other nice thing about it, is that the esc is narrow! It wouldnt fit where the stock esc is cause the body post is too low, but cause its narrow it fit on the side of the chassis. An ezrun esc or just about most esc's wouldnt fit on the side of the boost.

Also, I found it a bit odd that the boost uses philips head screws everywhere....except for the spur gear cover. That has 1.5mm hex head screws. Just seemed odd that they used hex head screws there only. Especially since its a model for newbs, who likely dont own a hex driver yet.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

OK
so the stock 20t motor is geared REALLY low.
I tried the stock pinion on the 3300kv motor and it wasnt much faster than stock
I dont have a larger pinion gear that will work (I have some 30+ tooth pinions but they are too big)
So I slapped on some 2.2 paddle tires to make a vid.
At the end, the motor was around 120 i think. I could hold my finger on it for several seconds. So even with the 2.2's it can be geared up.

vid shows stock, then with BL system and 2.2 tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XbWV...ature=youtu.be

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XbWV4DOhp4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 08-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Waka789

I have a ecx circuit and I just dropped a 100$ viper rc system in it wonder how fast it will go n a 3s lipo