Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking for a new RC

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 PM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new RC

I got the ok from my wife to get anew RC when we gett taxes back in 2013. So soon. Im looking for a 4wd truck, brushless, and durable, and for about $500. I've got lipos, so no need for batteries. I already have a Flux XS so I'm not sure whats left in that budget. It can be a kit, but if it's a kit, I would honestly like it to be a bit cheaper, cause I will by a FlySky radio and probable a Castle system.
The only thing I saw that was RTR was the Stampede VXL 4x4. But like I said it can be a kit. Any ideas guys?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:55 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a new RC

ive heard nothing but good things about
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ESC-Syncro-24

Old 09-03-2012, 06:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBAVN&P=7

Its the updated edition of something I own 2 of, and they do alright.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWUV&P=ML not a truck, but hey its in the price range, and has the same ground clearance as a SCT

Thing about having lipos it doesn't mean they will fit the battery box for the new vehicle. I've got lipos that fit certain RC's so unless you get something with the same exact battery box dimensions, and layout the lipos might not work in the next RC you get.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 PM
cumminspower5.9

Those are nice looking cars. I was lookin at HPI, and I did see the Trophy Truggy Flux. Looks like a nice truck. Only thing is is that it's new so I'm not sure how reviews have gone. Just not sure if 2 25c 2s lipos will get the 1/8th size moving without puffing lipos.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Those are nice looking cars. I was lookin at HPI, and I did see the Trophy Truggy Flux. Looks like a nice truck. Only thing is is that it's new so I'm not sure how reviews have gone. Just not sure if 2 25c 2s lipos will get the 1/8th size moving without puffing lipos.
reviews I read on it, along with issues owners have with it were poor at the best
it has crap axles, crap drive shafts, weak dogbones etc. There were a few ppl on the forum that had one, and the only guy that claimed it was a great buy had over $200 in parts in upgrades, and mods in it in 2 months to make it NOT fall apart after one run... The others dumped it from what I remember
Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brightside to picking a car under your budget you could buy more lipos

Old 09-03-2012, 08:54 PM
celica49

If they arent having a problem with running the Flux, then you shouldnt have much problem running the truggy under the same power, especially since I think they use the same motor and ESC. In all reality though, I would look for either A) an electric Buggy, or B) a truggy that you can convert to electric power.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u can save up a bit more and get a thunder tiger mt4, its amazing
Old 09-04-2012, 03:58 AM
cumminspower5.9

What about the stampede vxl 4X4? Looks like a nice truck. I had a bandit VXL and it was a nice buggy. pretty durable.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Foxy

You have time to wait for the updated Thunder Tiger MT4 G3. Do not consider anything else (unless something else comes out thats better in the meantime).

The Trophy Truggy is not new, it's been around in Europe for a couple of years now. I wouldn't pee on one if it was burning.

Give this some serious thought, it's a great price for a great car...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ion-Truggy-Kit
Old 09-04-2012, 05:08 AM
cumminspower5.9

Nice looking truggy, but it's nitro. I was looking for an electric. Witht the price of fuel, electric will be much cheaper now, and in the future. I wish there was more truggies out there. I love the look of them.  Ok so I'm going to update my requirements lol.

1/8 or 1/10.
Electric.
300$ kit limit. 550$ RTR limit.
4WD.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 AM
Foxy

550 RTR... hm... ok.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Off-Road-Buggy - 200
http://www.hobbyhot.com/SKYRC-TORO-1...mbo-ME760.html - 150
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tal-Gear-Servo - 40
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Surface-Radio - 50

There ya go, 110 bucks to spare and you have a 6S madman.

I still say wait for the Thunder Tiger though, it will be the cheapest way to get an epic bashing truggy (albeit dressed as a monster truck) for $500 RTR, 6S ready out of the box.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 AM
cumminspower5.9

Man this is difficult. I would love to get an electric truggy, but it looks like a lot are nitro, and I don;t really want nitro.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:56 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Man this is difficult. I would love to get an electric truggy, but it looks like a lot are nitro, and I don;t really want nitro.
convert it?
could pick up a used roller for $100-140ish off ebay, conversion kit for under $100, and get the electronics.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 AM
cumminspower5.9

Are most truggy kits able to drop in a motor and esc? or what is the issue with that? If i come across the right deal on a kit, I will put a motor/esc combo in it. I have never built a kit tho so i don't know if they drop in all of them.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:16 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Are most truggy kits able to drop in a motor and esc? or what is the issue with that? If i come across the right deal on a kit, I will put a motor/esc combo in it. I have never built a kit tho so i don't know if they drop in all of them.
just saying about the issue most being nitro

but yea electric truggy kits just drop a motor, esc, and servo in and your good.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Foxy

Indeed, truggies need converting and they are not cheap kits. I knew you wanted electric when I linked the D8T nitro.

The RC Monster conversion (for the D8T) is 100 on the nose, but then of course it's a 434 buck truck. Still, that's cheap for a real nice pro truggy kit.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Indeed, truggies need converting and they are not cheap kits. I knew you wanted electric when I linked the D8T nitro.

The RC Monster conversion (for the D8T) is 100 on the nose, but then of course it's a 434 buck truck. Still, that's cheap for a real nice pro truggy kit.
yup only cheap truggy to convert is the Jammin .5 CRT to get a electric roller it costs like $125 (including the kit), and that is only cause the SCRT, and nexx10SC exist(and parts are 100% interchangeable) otherwise it was way more. Like my Jammin X1 CRT cost me $110 for the roller, and $80 for the monster RC conversion kit, and $25 more to make battery trays (used cheap $9 pede chassis's)
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well if my option to get a truggy kit, I would like one that I can drop a motor is and not have to worry about the nitro aspect. What truggy kits does amain have that are setup for electric? I don't want to do conversions, just a kit that is setup for electric already. I know I sound lazy, but it could screw me up lol
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 AM
cumminspower5.9

What about the Hyper 10TT with a MMP?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Foxy

It would be a great car, its on my wishlist at amain and that is the combo I would put in it too.

Unless you are prepared to drop 650 on a truggy, that would be a good way to go. To answer your previous question, there are no truggies that can take a nitro or electric setup out of the box. They must be dedicated to one or the other.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 AM
cumminspower5.9

It would be a great car, its on my wishlist at amain and that is the combo I would put in it too.

Unless you are prepared to drop 650 on a truggy, that would be a good way to go. To answer your previous question, there are no truggies that can take a nitro or electric setup out of the box. They must be dedicated to one or the other.
Ah I see. I saw the Hyper 10tt but thought it looked cheap. And I though it was wierd the RTRversion comes with a brushed motor. Do you think the stock drivetrain can handle the MMP on 2s?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Foxy

It is quite cheap but it's as good as it needs to be out of the box and can be upgraded. As always just upgrade as you break. Don't mistake it's wonderfully simple layout for being basic, it's a great little chassis. Basic is good, less stuff to go wrong. It's just like a little 1/8th truggy, and hey it's not that little. This is OFNA's great thing, they make cars that have no frills but are tough enough where they need to be, which is why they have the cheap stuff, and yet, nobody complains about them. Seriously, when was the last time you heard anything negative about any OFNA product? You absolutely get your money's worth with all of their cars, whether Hong Nor or Hobao.

The stock drivetrain can handle a 1410Y on 3S, don't worry about that. Don't get the RTR though, get the roller. As far as I know, there are no drivetrain upgrades available for the car and nobody's ever asked for one. Thing is though, you got a little flux, you really need another 1/10th? Go 1/8th, try to justify it. Look at it this way, byt the time you get bored with the LX2e, there will be more electric truggies available, and everything will just drop straight in when you're ready to drop the $$ on a truggy kit.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 AM
jayjay283

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

(used cheap $9 pede chassis's)
Good one !! have a couple of those
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 AM
cumminspower5.9

It is quite cheap but it's as good as it needs to be out of the box and can be upgraded. As always just upgrade as you break. Don't mistake it's wonderfully simple layout for being basic, it's a great little chassis. Basic is good, less stuff to go wrong. It's just like a little 1/8th truggy, and hey it's not that little. This is OFNA's great thing, they make cars that have no frills but are tough enough where they need to be, which is why they have the cheap stuff, and yet, nobody complains about them. Seriously, when was the last time you heard anything negative about any OFNA product? You absolutely get your money's worth with all of their cars, whether Hong Nor or Hobao.

The stock drivetrain can handle a 1410Y on 3S, don't worry about that. Don't get the RTR though, get the roller. As far as I know, there are no drivetrain upgrades available for the car and nobody's ever asked for one. Thing is though, you got a little flux, you really need another 1/10th? Go 1/8th, try to justify it. Look at it this way, byt the time you get bored with the LX2e, there will be more electric truggies available, and everything will just drop straight in when you're ready to drop the $$ on a truggy kit.
How does the buggyy do on a track? What about like, soccer field grass? I don't race, just bash. I would love to get a 1/8 tho. The LX2e will require a 1/8 power system, but no way in hell am I going to drop over $300 on a BL system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.