Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best type of car for grass

Hello -

What is the best type of car for handling grass? Will an 1/8 scale buggy handle the grass? Or should I be looking for a stadium truck or monstor truck for more ground clearance.

I am thinking about purchasing a Hyper 7, but I want to be sure that it will handle the grass okay before I buy it.

Thank you,

Bjfrankl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Best type of car for grass

a 1/8 buggy wont have trouble with grass as long as its cut. I wouldt try driving in grass thats 3-5 inches tall. a MT or a jacked up ST would be better if the grass is kinda tall.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well thats an easy an obvious question..... The grasshopper of course.
    All kidding aside, the car/truck i run which does the best on grass is probably the Associated 8.2 e, followed by the savage flux of course.
    I think any offroad 4 wheel drive 1/8 will do great on grass followed by the monster trucks which are 4x4 and then the 2 wheel drive off roaders. The trick here is ground clearance and good tires.

Any 1/8 scale buggy will rip through grass with no problem imo. My Associated rc8.2e would abuse my Savage flux if they where to race on a made up grass track as a local park no problem.

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only a monster truck will handle grass more than 3 inches (without noticeable adverse effects). A truggy would be ok, a buggy wouldn't be great. If nitro, grass is hard on clutches and con rods, if electric, grass is hard on heat in the electrics.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use to bash with a mate that had a hyper 7, it was awsome on grass, comparing preformance it was as good as my revo 3.3 on grass.

U would be supprised on what can run on grass, u just have to keep a eye on things... my brothers DF03r & CC01 can handle it very well, I was supprised to see them running with out any proplems.
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Depends on many things. Mainly the length of the grass and how long you want your clutch and engine to last.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Golf course grass is awesome! Till you get caught....
    \"Prime it, Pull it, Pound it\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my flux will run almost twice as long on dirt/pavement vs grass. grass is hard on batteries, clutchs etc.
    mt's are king in the deep stuff
    oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!-savagex,-savagexl,-savageflux,-revo3.3,-tmaxx3.3,-losi aftershock ltd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will be running the car at our local rc airplane field, so the grass is usually kept pretty short. The Associated 8.2e looks appealing, and I would like to stay away from a monster truck if possible. I have been looking at the Hyper 7 rtr, but it sounds like there are cars out there that would perform better in grass.

Any other suggestions? I am having a tough time deciding because there are so many options to choose from. I have been flying rc airplanes for a few years now, but this will be my first nitro rc car.

Thank you,

Bjfrankl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm thinking you might get very bored running in grass. As folks have said, if it's tall and/or thick grass, it slows things down quite a bit. Even in a vehicle that can handle it, it sort of mutes the experience so that it's a bit boring, in my opinion. Just my $.02.

Dirt is where all the fun is at.
    DT02-MS | Stadium Thunder | TT Frog | TRF 801XT | CR-01 | F-150 | CRT.5 | T-Egg | Jrx2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you plan on running on tall grass often, it would help to gear your rc down some. It wont have the top speed it did, but the engine or motor wont get as hot. I know what Foxy is saying, i had my Maxx geared for speed runs and took it to a friends house who's grass was quite tall. My engine shot up to over 320 degrees and was a dog in the grass. Changed the gearing and helped tremdously. Prolly obvious, but just tryin to help. Best of luck finding something to fit your needs. Happy Rc'ing!
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I use to bash with a mate that had a hyper 7, it was awsome on grass, comparing preformance it was as good as my revo 3.3 on grass.

U would be supprised on what can run on grass, u just have to keep a eye on things... my brothers DF03r & CC01 can handle it very well, I was supprised to see them running with out any proplems.
    My DF03Ra and CC01 also do well on grass haha... I'm limited to pavement or a small grass park at the moment so I'm trying out stuff that's fun to drive technically. I think one of the most fun things on grass would be an RC dirtbike just because the surface is repetitive but the driving wouldn't be so much.

SCX10 Hilux - Kyosho DRX - SCX10 6x6 - DF03Ra - M03 - Kyosho Turbo Ultima

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

My DF03Ra and CC01 also do well on grass haha... I'm limited to pavement or a small grass park at the moment so I'm trying out stuff that's fun to drive technically. I think one of the most fun things on grass would be an RC dirtbike just because the surface is repetitive but the driving wouldn't be so much.

Failing that, something RWD that slides a lot, or a rally car.

(doh, clicked quote instead of edit -_-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bjfrankl

I will be running the car at our local rc airplane field, so the grass is usually kept pretty short. The Associated 8.2e looks appealing, and I would like to stay away from a monster truck if possible. I have been looking at the Hyper 7 rtr, but it sounds like there are cars out there that would perform better in grass.

Any other suggestions? I am having a tough time deciding because there are so many options to choose from. I have been flying rc airplanes for a few years now, but this will be my first nitro rc car.

Thank you,

Bjfrankl
    there is one thing that comes to mind that would be hard to beat... HPI Baja clone, they are getting even cheaper now with bigger motors... they can even run over most 1/8 buggies
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for all of your responses to my question.

I have thought about buying an rc motorcycle, but I really want an 1/8 buggy to race. The problem is that there is not a track nearby to race. The only place I could run a nitro rc is at our rc flying field, but the field is mostly grass. I would have many places to run an electric car, but I think that I would become bored with an electric. I become bored with electric rc planes, so I don't think that I would be satisfied with an electric car.

So am I correct in assuming the following:

1. An 1/8 scale buggy would handle the grass, but the grass would be hard on the car (most noticebly the clutch).

2. The best option for grass is a monster truck because of its high clearance.

Bjfrankl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for all of your responses to my question.

I have thought about buying an rc motorcycle, but I really want an 1/8 buggy to race. The problem is that there is not a track nearby to race. The only place I could run a nitro rc is at our rc flying field, but the field is mostly grass. I would have many places to run an electric car, but I think that I would become bored with an electric. I become bored with electric rc planes, so I don't think that I would be satisfied with an electric car.

So am I correct in assuming the following:

1. An 1/8 scale buggy would handle the grass, but the grass would be hard on the car (most noticebly the clutch).

2. The best option for grass is a monster truck because of its high clearance.

Bjfrankl
    Yes your assumptions are rite on the money. IMO, 1/8 buggies handle grass with absolutly no problems, unless the grass hasnt been cut. Even then the 1/8 buggies can go over grass, slower and with more abuse to parts and motor but with out a problem. IMO there is just nothing like a 1/8 buggy off road. Even though it doesnt have the ground clearance that monster trucks offer they make up for it with their 4x4 drive, and weight to power ratio. The RC i have the most fun with out of my 12 or so rc's i have is my Associated 8.2e with its Tekin motor/esc combo i finished about 4 months ago. There is just nothing like a 1/8 buggy off road IMO. The handling and speed these RC's offer off road cant be compared to any other 4x4 RC.

Monster trucks (like my Savage Flux) are the best over grass but have no where near the handling, speed and driveability that the 1/8 buggies offer. The Savage RTR rite out of the box was also a bit unimpressive to me as far as handling went. It rides ok but to get the most out of this truck i had to do a few hop ups which ended up costing me about another 400 bucks on top of the RTR purchase before i was satisfied with its handling. This included a new servo (the wheels wouldnt turn while it stood still), I made it wider (it would flip on every turn if not careful), New tires and rims (the originals where just to big and clumsy imo), heavier oil in shocks (original oil made the truck ride like a cadillac imo), and the suspension conversion kit with wider axels (truck needed to be wider and dropped a bit in order to take turns at speed). And a few other small ones i cant recall at this time. After all these hop-ups the Savage is fanally driving like i like it but it cost me a totall of about 600 on top of the RTR purchase.

Now the 1/8 buggy on the other hand is a different story. I am completely happy with the Factory 8.2e after being built and adjusted. The 1/8 buggy handles like a F-1 off road and grass compared to the Savage... Theres just nothing like it....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

only a 1:5th scale....
    other than that., I hate running rc cars on grass. They feel like underpowered toys, even with the right tires... but thats just my opinion.
    Inferno GT​2 - RS4 2 - APEXmini touring - Baja 5T

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

to me seems trucks with transmissions work best in grass, the emaxx, savage etc. theres power always to 1 front and 1 rear wheel opposed to transferring the power to 1 wheel front to back with the center diff. Thick fluid in all diffs, good only for grass and snow

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MT (Savage) for grass, yes a buggy will handle short grass but unless you have jumps to hit it will be a giant one speed borefest without wheelies.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You could do a 1/4th scale nitro dirt bike...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: On2_n_On4

only a 1:5th scale....
    other than that., I hate running rc cars on grass. They feel like underpowered toys, even with the right tires... but thats just my opinion.
    I agree with this. Plus there are so many variables to grass (the height, the type, the soil, etc.) I've driven my Hyper 7 on grass and it's handled fine, and times when it did not....again depending on those variables.

With that, I am curious how running on grass can adversely affect a clutch and connecting rod? I'm not doubting this, simply wanting to understand why. Is it because your having to constantly apply more throttle in grass? Thanks
    Mugen MBX6R, HB D8T, Losi 8 2.0, Savage X 4.6, Losi 810, Hyper 7, Exceed Forza
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NitroRCNerds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Friction. No other reason. You have much more traction on grass. The clutch shoes will simply shed more material trying to hold the clutch bell.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you everyone for your input! I appreciate your advice. I ordered a Hyper 7 today from Tower Hobbies. I decided on the Hyper 7 because I am going to find a different place to run my car; I'm not going to run the car on only grass. I really want an 1/8 scale buggy, and I hope to find a location with pavement and/or dirt to run the car. The price of the Hyper 7 also fit within my budget, and this was my first nitro car so I didn't want to spend more than $300-400.

Bjfrankl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you everyone for your input! I appreciate your advice. I ordered a Hyper 7 today from Tower Hobbies. I decided on the Hyper 7 because I am going to find a different place to run my car; I'm not going to run the car on only grass. I really want an 1/8 scale buggy, and I hope to find a location with pavement and/or dirt to run the car. The price of the Hyper 7 also fit within my budget, and this was my first nitro car so I didn't want to spend more than $300-400.

Bjfrankl
    Great choice!! IMO there is nothing like a 1/8 buggy off road. They are like the F-1's of off road. They just rip!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is the going to be ur first nitro?

The hyper 7 will be a blast...