Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

**My new High Speed project**

Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: **My new High Speed project**

Here it is all finished. Just need to work on the setup now. But its all together and just about ready for some high speed passes!

Old 09-23-2012, 11:50 PM
yakfish

I just came in from doing a couple speed runs for the first time. My best run so far is 88.3 MPH and it wasn't anywhere near being to full throttle! I am having an issue right off the bat with the body. Its too thin and can't handle speeds much higher than this. On my first run I only did about 55 to get a feel for how it was tracking. Then on the next run I heard it the body crickleing under the wind preasure. I stopped the run and turned it around and brought it back the GPS read 72MPH. So the body starts to ripple at about 70mph. The next run I figured I may as well go ahead and push a little harder. Either the wind got under the body or I hit a small bump in the road because it went airborn flipped around in the air a couple times then landed back on its wheels! I turn it around and brought it back again. This time the GPS read 77mph. On the last run I hit another small bump in the road which sent the car airborn again but this time it landed on it roof and slid on down the road quite a ways. I looked down and saw a set of heads light coming so I ran down the road to get it out of the lane. Just as I get to it I hear the oncoming car slow down then I see red and blue lights [X(] It was the city police! No problem, they asked what I was doing since they though it was strange to see someone running down the road at 3am! When I told them what I was doing and showed them the GPS mounted on the car showing 88.3 MPH they asked if I would be back out running again because they wanted to see it run he said " I can't believe an RC car can do nearly 90 MPH"!

I did have the positive wire coming off the ESC to the deams plug come loose. So I need to get out and solder it back on and get out and see if my new cop buddies can radar this thing for me! Anyone have a suggestion for a good body for high speed?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool.. They don't need to radar it - you have the GPS for that.. You need them to video it..
Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 AM
jayjay283

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alot of the guys put a 5th body mount that goes through the windshield. I don't know if that would help. I have the same body but haven't gone faster than 4s on 2700kv 19/47
Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 AM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: jayjay283

alot of the guys put a 5th body mount that goes through the windshield. I don't know if that would help. I have the same body but haven't gone faster than 4s on 2700kv 19/47
Thanks for the idea of a 5th body post! I just put one in and it feels much stronger now. I am also going to add some shoegoo and some lexan strips to hepl strengthen the body itself as well. But I really think the extra body mount will make a big difference.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that body don't look bad for as big of a tumble as you said it took.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 PM
yakfish

no it doesn't look too bad. but I never ended up hitting anything either. it just skidded down the road on its top in a straight line.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Ttowntoolman

If the post dont work maybe cut the windshield out, cut the back window out and deck the body. This will allow the air to pass through instead of over. We do the deck thing to our dirt oval latemodel bodies. It leaves the front for down force, and allows the air to go accross the rear wing also instead of the air being directed over the roof and over the rear wing.

After looking again, decking probably wont work. Never mind. [&o]
Old 09-25-2012, 03:57 PM
thehuntingterminator

Nice man. I've thought about doing something like this and this just makes me wanna do it more!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Nice man. I've thought about doing something like this and this just makes me wanna do it more!
yeah man do it! you sure can't beat this kit for the price. pick up a used Mamba Monster or an EX run system and you're good to go for less than $400 if you have a spare servo and radio system.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:39 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was reading down threw the posts and got to the pic of the body freshly painted. Sick I thought. Never would have guessed white would look soo cool.

then was sadened to see it all scuffed up just a few posts down[&o]

But I guess thats the risks of driving a model @ 80+mph.

That ofna chassis looks like one of the toughest onroads ever. Makes sence to just trim down a 1/8 offoad chassis to make it for the street.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: yakfish

no it doesn't look too bad. but I never ended up hitting anything either. it just skidded down the road on its top in a straight line.
happened to me with a savage
had a hole in a brand new body, 2 body posts ground completely off with body clips ground into oblivion (I literally only found like 3% of the one clip), and it scuffed to high hell almost have a hole worn in it. Last time I spend 8 hours painting a shell for a MT [:@]
Old 09-26-2012, 09:25 AM
yakfish

I don't worry too much when a body gets beat up. The body serves two purposes: To protect whats underneath from damage and to provide down force to help the car handle better. Looking good is just a bonus! I knew going into it the body was going to get beat up so its OK! I have alway been a function over form type of person anyway. But the body did look pretty awesome before I ran it though. I might get a second "look good" body.

Well...off to the LHS. I ordered some gears for it that should be in today!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just paint everything black now. Looks best the longest.. Other colors and schemes look nice new, but crappy when they get beat up a bit.. Black just looks tough with some scrapes..

'Course, black is no good for 80mph speed runs at night though..
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 PM
yakfish

check out what I picked up today. traxxas 34t pinion and a 36t Reno spur. isn't that the nastiest spur pinion combo you've ever seen? I knew traxxas was good for something!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 PM
ryan_t888

Nice project. I love the ofna's 1/8th lineup. Excellent deals and a ton of fun. Too bad I picked up a DM1 spec nitro just before I knew about this guy. So much money to convert the chassis and I really like the electric DM1 setup much better.

How does the Revo gear fit properly? I'm actually looking for a ~36 tooth spur to fit the nitro DM1 transmission setup.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

Nice project. I love the ofna's 1/8th lineup. Excellent deals and a ton of fun. Too bad I picked up a DM1 spec nitro just before I knew about this guy. So much money to convert the chassis and I really like the electric DM1 setup much better.

How does the Revo gear fit properly? I'm actually looking for a ~36 tooth spur to fit the nitro DM1 transmission setup.
RCMonster sells a single speed conversion for these cars. It is basically just a hub that slips over the shaft that your 2 speed goes on. You have to specify which one you want. One of the options is for the Revo spur.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...=RCM6mmsnglspd
Old 09-27-2012, 06:32 PM
ryan_t888

Nice, does it lock on to the shaft using a set screw?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awsome... what speed are u going for????

nice body, im very slowly building one too..... have a sus, Im going to be running pan car wheels tho

Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

nice body, im very slowly building one too..... have a sus, Im going to be running pan car wheels tho

nice looking good. I have always liked orange and black.

The fastest I've seen on Youtube is 131 Mph I'm going to try and break that. Hopefully I'll be able to post a vid breaking triple digits this weekend.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:03 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: yakfish

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

nice looking good. I have always liked orange and black.

The fastest I've seen on Youtube is 131 Mph I'm going to try and break that. Hopefully I'll be able to post a vid breaking triple digits this weekend.
and you are probably still no where near the cost of an XO-1
Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 PM
yakfish

Less than half! And no iPhone required!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 AM
yakfish

here is a short vid of some attempted speed runs from early this morning. the car still needs some tweaking. anytime I would try to go past half throttle the front end would lift. I think I am going to have to add some weight to the front end. I had to end the run because 1 of the wires going to the dean's plug melted off. I might have to try a different type of solder that has a higher melting temperature.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_4hrZcS2cQ&list=UUwqQoJfsu0lcPC1t87T1QeA&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Old 09-29-2012, 05:57 AM
ryan_t888

Nice, seems like it is moving out nicely so far. What speeds are you achieving ?

Why aren't you using 5.5mm bullets or larger plugs? I only run deans on planes drawing less then 30A.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:09 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

and you are probably still no where near the cost of an XO-1
So true, but it will never be as aerodynamic as the XO-1, if u can get 100mph from it stock what about one running a Castle XL2? on 8s?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.