Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Speed Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:26 AM
cjhike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Problem

Hey, just purchased by first hobby grade R/C today, a HPI RACING MINI-TROPHY - #103034. I am running a 2C 7.4 - 5000mah LIPO and the truck ran great on the first run which I stopped after about 15 minutes. On the 2nd run it would only run at about 1/2 speed for 10 minutes then really started to slow down, stopped it and could smell something burning. Disconnected the battery right away and pulled it out - no smell from the battery.

Let it all cool down overnight and hooked it up in the morning, no smell however running extremely slow - like walking speed.

Checked the voltage on the battery it is right up - tried resetting the throttle setting on the transmitter, nothin'.

Any ideas?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Speed Problem

probably the motor
If I remember it right its brushed (if it is) pull the 2 wires off that go to the esc, and connect it straight to the battery. If the motor spins fast then its the ESC.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 AM
cjhike

Thanks! Did that and it appears to be spinning at same speed.

Will take it back to the store - should be a warranty fix hopefully!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:06 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lipo eats brushed motors just so you know...
Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

I normally run silvercans and lipo with good luck but yeah, brushed motors cannot handle lipo that well. You can get a cheap brushless system from hobbypartz which will give you more speed, runtime and will last longer. If you are going to pay more than $40 for a brushed esc, go to brushless.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM
cjhike

Called HPI - they are mailing out a new motor under warranty. Took the LIPO back to the Hobby Store where purchased and got a Nimh instead - hopefully the replacement motor will last longer!

Thanks for the help and recommendations!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

I normally run silvercans and lipo with good luck but yeah, brushed motors cannot handle lipo that well. You can get a cheap brushless system from hobbypartz which will give you more speed, runtime and will last longer. If you are going to pay more than $40 for a brushed esc, go to brushless.

ditto run my tamiya 27t motors fine on lipo
only way it would burn a motor out is if the vehicle is geared high from the get go.

Also the HPI motors if its the 15t those are turds.. I had one burn out in 4 mins on NiMh
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

ditto run my tamiya 27t motors fine on lipo
only way it would burn a motor out is if the vehicle is geared high from the get go.

Also the HPI motors if its the 15t those are turds.. I had one burn out in 4 mins on NiMh
tamiya silvercans are surprisingly reliable