Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Please stop me from buying a D8T....

Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please stop me from buying a D8T....

Okay - I officially have a problem. I have YET to break in my Savage X 4.6, and about to buy another vehicle. My wife will flip if another big box arrives here. Even my 12-year old son has made a comment "Dad, you sure do spend a lot on our RC cars". ;-)

I am one click away from purchasing a Hot Bodies D8T.

Some boring background:
1. When I first got into "the hobby", I thought truggies were SUVs (stupid useless vehicles). Now, as with dish wheels, I see the sheer beauty in them. Granted, I have yet to drive one, my getting a truggy is definitely on my wish list.
2. Not thinking I'd get one anytime soon, I've been looking at various ones just for fun.. I've researched the Losi eight-T, AE RCT, Mugen MBX-6TR, but the D8T has always had my attention.
3. Yes, I admit I was suckered in even more when Tessman won the 2012 ROAR Nationals with his D8T. I'm also smart enough to realize the driver is the great equalizer, but when I read about it, I thought "Yep, that's the truggy I have my eye on".

Why I want this:
1. I found it on Amain for $334.00. With the others I've noted are in thr 500-600 range, this is definitely "reasonably priced".
2, I'm ready to try my hand at racing. Right now, I can only race the vehicles you see in my sig line. I know I'll get my ***** handed to me when I start racing, but at least with the D8T, I won't be thinking, "If I only had a racer".
3. I want a kit. I've yet to build a nitro vehicle, and am looking for something without an extreme price tag for my first kit. At the same time, I want to to be something that I can race and be proud of.
4. Did I mention it's only $334 on Amain? Tower Hobbies has them for $493.00, i've seen other places with prices in between, but Amain is the best price I've seen. Plus I have a lot of loyalty points to cash in on Amain.
5. I want a truggy. I want a truggy to race with..

My questions to you:
1. Why suchprice difference in this and similar truggies? People are winning national championships with this, so I assume it is not junk.
2. IF I do buy it, it will sit in its box until we move. It will be my first "buid" in the workshop I am designing for our new house, which is a good 3+ months away. This is okay, however, as my hands are full with the vehicles I have now....but what a way to break in my new workshop! Not a question - just a statement, I guess. ;-)
3. Does the price fluctuate much on these things? i.e. Is this an incredible bargain I should seize now? Is Amain clearing this product from their inventory? Or, in 3-5 months should I see similar if not a lower price for this? I'd HATE if in a few months Amain lists it at $420, as an example.
4. What engine should I get for it? (I know this is another topic altogether, but I'll throw it out here anyway!).
5. Am I nuts for just buying one now and let it sit in its box for 3+ months (while I research engines/servos, etc for it?) and christen my new workshop with it?

Thanks for reading this long post. I value most everyone's opinion on this forum, so need a reality check here. I've already got the D8T in my cart at Amain and ready to pull the trigger. Is there a reason I should not? Am I missing something?

Thanks!!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Please stop me from buying a D8T....

tower is WAY overpriced on some things
example amain sells the Jammin X1x CR for $299 tower last time I looked was $450 for the same exact RC.
amain seems stable, if anything they lower prices like when I bought my X1x it was $330 now its under $300. So I think the price will probably stay the same (don't quote me on this ANYTHING is possible)

Also kinda like you once I start reading on a RC I almost just have to have it. Still pissed at kyosho there's an RC I saw I was like meh read more on it, seemed some what neat, and now I want but they never put it for sale (Was supposed to go up for sale early this month...). But unlike you I only have my bills to answer to
Semi impulse buys that the more I read I wanted(that I now regret) 2-3RC submarines, RC tank(shooting BB's sounded like a great idea at the time), Mini E-revo(again sounded like a good idea more I read), Slash 4X4(turned it into a pede 4X4 so don't regret it 100%), HPI Recon, Losi micro high roller, redcat sumo.

As for being nuts I bought my X1x in january 2 years ago, and it sat till may that year unused.

To the price difference I think the D8t is an older design, generally the newer vehicles are the ones that cost an arm and a leg.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:54 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go for it, and so will pretty much every other response you get on this site! from what you said I only see one downside to it. that being your wife. no hobby is worth a marriage. if she is going to be cool with it then by all means go for it. if it will only cause problems then I'd leave it in the cart.

The D8T is a model that has a good reputation, and from the sound of it it's a great deal too. most race engines are going to start just south of $200 and go up from there. One of the only 2 engines I have left is a werks B6. I have being quite happy with it and I think you can get a new one for around $200
Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: yakfish
I say go for it, and so will pretty much every other response you get on this site! from what you said I only see one downside to it. that being your wife. no hobby is worth a marriage.
Hmmm...I'm not sure about that. ;-) JUSTKIDDING. We've been married 17 years (I think) so she knows my tendency's. At least I'm no longer buying bass boats or $500.00 rod and reels.Actually I'm fortunate in that shejust rolls hereyesfor the most part - but I'm still scared of her. Ha!

Thanks for the responses. If I feel confident the price wil stay under $350, then I might just purchase myself a house-warming gift. As noted it will be months before I even build it.Can't wait!

p.s. SyCo, you are correct....Tower Hobbies does seem very overpriced. Too bad, as I love their website (they typically provide the most in-depth specifications I've seen).
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a horrible car. Probably the worst RC car ever made. All of the pros use heavily modified versions, practically different cars. I heard somebody died after theirs exploded due to faulty design. It's a stupid idea.

There, just saved you $350.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:57 PM
supertib

the D8T is excellent....tho 99% of the ones I see at the track have been hopped up to the point they cost just as much as the other cars....the guys say the drivetrain wears a little faster and many of them are using Kyosho outdrives and shafts........For bashing I am not sure the car would need anything other then maybe the hing pin hoppups they have......The car handles well, seems quite durable and all in all is a hell of a machine.....For bashing I suggest a stronger engine like a 28...for racing a stout .21.....
Old 09-28-2012, 09:17 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have the money? Are you putting off something more important like fixing the fence or buying tires for your wife's car? Will your wife really leave you if another RC shows up at the door? It you answered yes, no, no then you should buy one. My wife gets "concerned" over how many RCs Ialready have and even more so when another one shows up in the garage. But, as long as business is taken care of, the family is fed and the power is still on and there's still a few bucks left to go shopping then what's the harm?

Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Haddi Taha

just buy your wife something she likes (jewellery?) and then get the d8t if you still want it
Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say go for it.

There are a few things you should be clear about though:

1.) Racing is expensive.
2.) Racing is expensive.
3.) Racing is expensive.

Once you have the kit, you will of course need an engine, pipe, servos, at least two sets of tires, and probably a few of whatever the key upgrades are that people make on the D8T. Do you have a starter box? A must... And so on..

If you have the bug and want a truggy and to try racing, then go for it. I like the idea of buying a kit for the winter, and decking it out over a few months. I did exactly the same thing last winter with an RC8.2 buggy.. - which I'm now selling, because I just can't make the commitments required to really pursue racing.. Everybody's situation is different though. Racing might be a lot easier for you than it is for me. I think if I lived in the States I would probably like it a lot more. Here it's very uptight, requires a lot of travelling, and massive time commitments.. I for ex. find it hard to dedicate an ENTIRE weekend - for ex. from 8am Sat to 5pm or so on Sunday.. Sometimes starting even on Friday..

But again, that's just me. Your situation is different. It might be good advice though to suggest going down to the local track and talking to some people.

If like me you're hooked on nitro RC, then racing can be cool. Just don't kid yourself. It's gonna' cost more than $334 to get into it.. A lot more.

(not trying to scare you off, just to make it clear..)
Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, amain has a killer deal at the moment on a totally race-worthy engine that would work great in a D8T:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ine-Turbo-Plug

Would be a great engine to start with. If you toasted it, wouldn't be that big a deal.. The two Go 5-ports (and one 3-port R) I had were excellent. That deal won't be going on forever.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:51 AM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: supertib

the D8T is excellent....tho 99% of the ones I see at the track have been hopped up to the point they cost just as much as the other cars....the guys say the drivetrain wears a little faster and many of them are using Kyosho outdrives and shafts........For bashing I am not sure the car would need anything other then maybe the hing pin hoppups they have......The car handles well, seems quite durable and all in all is a hell of a machine.....For bashing I suggest a stronger engine like a 28...for racing a stout .21.....
FWIW

The D8T uses an offset driveline design and it's true that it will wear a bit faster than a straight through design. But there are other brands that centeralize the engine using such a design and they also find somewhat increased wear with the front driveshaft.It's inherent with the desigtn. HB offers the DCJ driveshaft which minimizes the wear.

When Kyosho was breaking their outdrives (along with axles), they were using HB replacement outdrives. And years ago, when Kyosho was blowing out their diff spyder gears, guess what gears they were going to? Yep, HB gears.

Nice thingabout HB is that it is EBay friendly. Replace a chassis for $25 Try that with other brands.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 AM
JohnP2

Thanks for the responses. FWIW, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek regarding the wife. it's not so much about the money with her, but more "why do you need more than one rc car?"

HerrSavage, I was looking at engines last evening, and noticed that "Go-Technology" one. I'd never heard of them, so was unsure if that was a deal or not. I believe you when you state racing is expensive. One reason why I've shyed away from it to-date. I doubt I will ever be competitive...but do want to at least ensure my vehicle is not a liability - at a minimum.

With that said, assuming the price point for the D8T remains consistent (i.e. it does not go UP)...I probably will just wait until we move to buy it. The optimist inside of me says "That is one fewer item I'll have to move." Ha!

On a completely different side note, I have convinced my wife to let me build a "Mother-in-law" suite at our new home (our lot is almost two acres so we have the room). 1/2 of it will be a small living room with a bathroom and kitchen. My mother-in-law is not moving in (thank God)..so my son and I will use it as our "man cave". The best part, is that the second part of it (paritioned by a wall and separate entrance) will be my work shop!! I'm working with a builder to design it (and getting a great deal on it). Needless to say, I am stoked about this. At some point, I'd appreciate all of your suggestions for the work-shop part of it. Example: I recently learned on here the advantages of hanging cars instead of keeping them flat on a shelves, so will keep that in mind during the design.

Thanks again for everyone's responses. I duly appreciate it!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:58 PM
DieHarder

I hang my rc's. It keeps flat spots off the tires.
ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Thanks for the responses. FWIW, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek regarding the wife. it's not so much about the money with her, but more "why do you need more than one rc car?"

HerrSavage, I was looking at engines last evening, and noticed that "Go-Technology" one. I'd never heard of them, so was unsure if that was a deal or not. I believe you when you state racing is expensive. One reason why I've shyed away from it to-date. I doubt I will ever be competitive...but do want to at least ensure my vehicle is not a liability- at a minimum.

With that said, assuming the price point for the D8T remains consistent (i.e. it does not go UP)...I probably will just wait until we move to buy it. The optimist inside of me says "That is one fewer item I'll have tomove." Ha!

On a completely different side note, I have convinced my wife to let me build a "Mother-in-law" suite at our new home (our lot is almost two acres so we have the room). 1/2 of it will be a small living room with a bathroom and kitchen. My mother-in-law is not moving in (thank God)..so my son and I will use it as our "man cave". The best part, is that the second part of it (paritioned by a wall and separate entrance) will be my work shop!! I'm working with a builder to design it (and getting a great deal on it). Needless to say, I am stoked about this.At some point, I'dappreciate all of your suggestions for the work-shop part of it. Example: I recently learned on here the advantages of hanging cars instead of keeping them flat on a shelves, so will keep that in mind during the design.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Eman77

Now, as with dish wheels, I see the sheer beauty in them.
You'll never convert me to dish wheels! NEVER! Gaaah!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM
SLAYERDUDE

I absolutely LOVE my D8T, great racer right out of the box, been racing it for 2 years and have only broken 2 parts after countless nasty crashes.
If you get the CVD boot kit and grease the joints they last plenty long, leave them dry and open to the dirt and they will wear.
Only real hop up you need is the HB alum servo arm for the D8T in whatever flavor of teeth you run.

For racing you need a .21, 5 minute runtimes with a .28 don't work too good in a 20 minute A-main lol.

All the info you'd ever need about the D8T - http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...d8-truggy.html

Plenty of tips and setups on TY's site too - http://www.tytessmann.com/
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
SLAYERDUDE

And several guys at my track run the GO engines, there's some killer deal out there that comes with an engine and pipe...
Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Eman77

we run them because they are the most durable....in racing we crack or shatter all the other wheel styles it seems...so basically in racing the dish wheels are the best option.....i actually have video of a wheel crunching on a big landing

later in this video you can hear the wheel actually snap on the landing.....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...71958072&hl=en
Old 10-01-2012, 05:01 PM
JohnP2

My understanding is that the dish wheel also deters dirt/mud from caking on the spoke wheels.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: Eman77

we run them because they are the most durable....in racing we crack or shatter all the other wheel styles it seems...so basically in racing the dish wheels are the best option.....i actually have video of a wheel crunching on a big landing

later in this video you can hear the wheel actually snap on the landing.....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...71958072&hl=en
can't argue that I've had spoke rims crack right between the spokes yet I've not cracked a dish yet
Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 AM
cumquat

Thanks for the responses. FWIW, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek regarding the wife. it's not so much about the money with her, but more ''why do you need more than one rc car?''

HerrSavage, I was looking at engines last evening, and noticed that ''Go-Technology'' one. I'd never heard of them, so was unsure if that was a deal or not. I believe you when you state racing is expensive. One reason why I've shyed away from it to-date. I doubt I will ever be competitive...but do want to at least ensure my vehicle is not a liability - at a minimum.

With that said, assuming the price point for the D8T remains consistent (i.e. it does not go UP)...I probably will just wait until we move to buy it. The optimist inside of me says ''That is one fewer item I'll have to move.'' Ha!

On a completely different side note, I have convinced my wife to let me build a ''Mother-in-law'' suite at our new home (our lot is almost two acres so we have the room). 1/2 of it will be a small living room with a bathroom and kitchen. My mother-in-law is not moving in (thank God)..so my son and I will use it as our ''man cave''. The best part, is that the second part of it (paritioned by a wall and separate entrance) will be my work shop!! I'm working with a builder to design it (and getting a great deal on it). Needless to say, I am stoked about this. At some point, I'd appreciate all of your suggestions for the work-shop part of it. Example: I recently learned on here the advantages of hanging cars instead of keeping them flat on a shelves, so will keep that in mind during the design.

alright, here's one, get a mill and lathe. that way you can make your own replacement and upgrade parts and even build your own car from the ground up. she cant get mad at you for buying another RC if all she sees is a pile of delrin, steel and aluminum

that truggy sucks, it cant even withstand a measly grenade.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Haddi Taha

why do we hang rc cars again?

I would love to have a cnc mill and lathe and all of the other metal/delrin cutting stuff. I would make my own rc cars and build em like tanks.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

why do we hang rc cars again?

I would love to have a cnc mill and lathe and all of the other metal/delrin cutting stuff. I would make my own rc cars and build em like tanks.

Storage, and to keep the tires from developing flat spots in the foams and what not.
Personally I use boxes I had parts shipped in under the middle as I don't have a lot of wall space.

and yup would love a CNC machine or even 1/10th the proper tools I could probably make some interesting things(just don't have the room for them).
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Eman77

My understanding is that the dish wheel also deters dirt/mud from caking on the spoke wheels.
Caked dirt/mud on spoked wheels still looks better than clean dish wheels.

Yeah, yeah, I get the durability thing. I don't race, and have never cracked a wheel, so I'd rather go with the non-ugly solution.

Like I said, YOU'LL NEVER CONVERT ME! AAAAARGH!!

(sorry, got carried away there)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Foxy

Buy a d8t. You know you want to. Good car. Dish wheels for the win too, lighter weight usually, means better performance.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Eman77

Bah, I say. Bah!

(but yeah, buy the D8T)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.