Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is there a use for old Nitro Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a use for old Nitro Fuel?

I run at least one of my cars each night (same bat place, same bat time) and many folks will come out to watch and enjoy it. Tonight, one of my neighbors came out and said "I found this bottle of fuel. It's a couple of years old, but it's all yours".

Of course, I bent over backward with my appreciation "Thanks!! Blue Thunder. That's a great brand too!" The old boy was being friendly, and I duly appreciate that.Gimme a choice between a neighbor offering free fuel and one calling the cops to complain....well, I really appreciated the kind gesture.

As I was walking away of course, I thought to myself "I'm not putting that **** in any of my cars". I hate to throw it away. So......

Is there any use I can get out of a 1/2 gallon of old fuel? Even as a cleaning agent? I just hate throwing it away.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73341.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	1810397  
Old 10-11-2012, 04:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Is there a use for old Nitro Fuel?

maybe cut it with fresh nitro? %50 old, %50 new. Should work, especially if you have some of the same brand and nitro %.

Other than that, only thing I can think of is to use it to clean your air filter. I used to use nitro fuel to clean my filter between tanks. It cleans them quick and lets you pop the filter back in and fire it right back up (as opposed to using water, which you would have to let the filter dry out 1st)
Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could try giving it a shake, and test a little. I've heard people having nitro sit 10 years, and their RC's worked perfectly fine. As long as water didn't get in it should be good still.
If you have an old nitro engine just laying around I'd try it in that 1st

Other than that I used some traxxas top fuel once to kill weeds (best use I found for that crap) that was in my fill bottle. Glad no one smokes or probably would have made a tremendous fireball .

If you REALLY want to dispose of it you could fill it with water and slowly pour it out somewhere while hosing it down with plenty of water I would think
Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to cleaning air filters with it, you can also wash out old fuel tanks with too.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use old nitro fuel for general cleaning. I even use it on my brushless cars. I will pour some in a small cup then dip a toothbrush in the fuel and use it to remove dirt. works great for me!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:27 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

If it still burns your nose when you sniff it, I'd put it in the fuel tank and run it. The worst that can happen is it runs like poo and you dump it out. The only fuel I'd never do this with is Traxxas top fuel. I have an ancient can of that I use for lighting the bonfire only.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Start a fire [X(]
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
ejc34710

I have all kinds of uses for it. General cleaning and air filters as mentioned. I also sometimes use a little to get a bon fire started (i live in the country), it is far less volatile than gasoline. Good weed killer too. We have a partial cement driveway and ill pour a little in the cracks to kill the weeds. It is usually VERY LITTLE though, just if i have anything left in a fuel bottle. Might not even be possible, but i dont want it leaching into our well.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: ejc34710

I have all kinds of uses for it. General cleaning and air filters as mentioned. I also sometimes use a little to get a bon fire started (i live in the country), it is far less volatile than gasoline. Good weed killer too. We have a partial cement driveway and ill pour a little in the cracks to kill the weeds. It is usually VERY LITTLE though, just if i have anything left in a fuel bottle. Might not even be possible, but i dont want it leaching into our well.
The only thing that could possibly make it to your well is the oil and that will probably break down long before it gets down to the water supply. Nitro and methanol evaporate quite quickly.

Traxxas top fuel (the stuff I have is 10% nitro) burns with a grey flame. It packs a heck of a "whoooop" if you leave it sit on the wood pile for more than a few seconds. I usually dab some on a stick and light the stick. Burning hair off the face, arms, or legs is not a good thing.

I don't use fuel to clean air filters though. The air filter oil I use isn't miscible in methanol, so I use some Simple Green and wash with water.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It will likely work ok in the car.  The methanol will evaporate out and there will be too much oil.  It won't hurt.  Moisture may hurt, but not much.  Like what was said, try  it, and if that doesn't work, mix it with fresher stuff.  Your lawnmower will thank you for it.  Don't put much in with the gasoline.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would run it, can't do any harm. If it runs good, use it up, if not, use it to clean stuff.