Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RC Lipo Info site creation

Hello guys, I am a software developer and I have an idea for a simple site(simple and maybe useful). Not looking to make $$ or anything like that.

I would like people to be able to choose a RC car and see a list of batteries with link and comment that will fit the selected car. The information will be contributed by people and will be moderated by moderators.

the reason why I wanted to do this is because I've always had trouble finding the correct lipos for my cars.
    Savage XL Roller, Savage Flux, HPI Blitz Brushless, Venom Creeper, Mini Summit, Walkera 4#6S.

RE: RC Lipo Info site creation

This sounds like a great idea. The only problem I can see is that there are so many models of vehicles and so many different brands of batteries. It would have to be it's own search engine lol. For example, a drop down menu of the vehicle, then a drop down menu of the type of battery, drop down menu of brand, mah rating, volts, discharge. Or maybe sort the batteries by tray dimensions. Don't get me wrong, like I said it would be a good idea to find the perfect battery for any vehicle, but a lot of research and time would have to be invested. But in the end, it would be a great tool for beginners and long time hobbyists.
    -Aerodynamics and turbos are for people who can't build motors.

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree that trying to list all the dimensions and details of each type of LiPo out there would be a nightmare - not only to create, but to maintain.

However, we do see a lot of repeat LiPo questions where the facts would not change, like:
    ~Recommended C rating on a battery of a given capacity, when using a specific motor (i.e., finding a battery than can provide enough amps for your motor). You would need to get lookup info for a lot of motors for this.

~How many watts does my charger's power supply need to be able to provide for a given LiPo charging at 1 C? (Variables would be capacity which determines amps for a 1C charge, and voltage - do the math, convert to watts)

I don't know, just putting ideas out there. I'm not sure if this is what you were looking to do, but it could be helpful. To be honest, it would be real nice to have a list of "what LiPo fits in what RC model", but that's gotta be hard to dig up, right?
    DT02-MS | Stadium Thunder | TT Frog | TRF 801XT | CR-01 | F-150 | CRT.5 | T-Egg | Jrx2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thx guys for the suggestions, here are my initial thoughts but can be expanded later on. here are the steps:

1. Select a vehicle
    2. Choose type of battery
    3. List shows all the batteries that fit the car you selected, their exact size measurements and any comments. (if mods are required to fit the battery).

The information are submitted by people who have bought the batteries and know they fit for sure. For example, let say you bought a HobbyKing lipo for your Losi Micro-DT and it fits very good but with little mod. You will submit that information through the site and will get quickly reviewed and then posted so everyone can see. So when another person is looking for lipos for his Micro-DT, he knows exactly that one fits. I buy lipos from HobbyKing alot and their size measures are totally off, I have to dig through reviews to see if they fit certain cars.
    Savage XL Roller, Savage Flux, HPI Blitz Brushless, Venom Creeper, Mini Summit, Walkera 4#6S.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: samguan

thx guys for the suggestions, here are my initial thoughts but can be expanded later on. here are the steps:

1. Select a vehicle
    2. Choose type of battery
    3. List shows all the batteries that fit the car you selected, their exact size measurements and any comments. (if mods are required to fit the battery).

The information are submitted by people who have bought the batteries and know they fit for sure. For example, let say you bought a HobbyKing lipo for your Losi Micro-DT and it fits very good but with little mod. You will submit that information through the site and will get quickly reviewed and then posted so everyone can see. So when another person is looking for lipos for his Micro-DT, he knows exactly that one fits. I buy lipos from HobbyKing alot and their size measures are totally off, I have to dig through reviews to see if they fit certain cars.
    sounds awesome to do it that way

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3- Tamiya TA06 Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sweet idea... Sould be easy with the big brand batteries.... and would help people with older tamiya's to find the lipo's that are the size of a 6 cell nicd/nimh.

I think u might need help with finding specs, there could be 100 hours pluss of research that would need to be done, and man thats alot of data entering too, and it would all need to be doubble checked.

If u could pull it off, would be one of the most usefull non forum based web sites for us rc guys.

Just make sure u have a big legal disclaimer, that u try to keep the libary up to date and full of correct information, but there is a chance that user submitted dementions/batterys might be wrong. U could even have a system that shows if thet conbination has been confirmed by 3 sources.

Ive found some 5500mah 35c 2s lipos that fit a slash for under $25 to my door. but the new version of that battery is a hard case and its shorter, allowing me to change the weight ballance, and im 90% sure it fits a rustler. that would be awsome to have that information in a web page, Because i would hate to see someone buy the older version thats longer and weighs more.

Could ur site even have a star rating system for each battery?
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good idea, and I think a good approach might be to have a database of cars and a database of batteries, and simply have a relationship between the tables. For example the database of cars simply has the maximum dimensions of the battery bay, and the batteries db has all the battery dimensions. By assigning variables to the length width and height characteristics, you could have the result you want and only need to maintain the battery box sizes and a database of all available batteries.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thx guys for the suggestion, I have started on the web application, right now I'm gathering the list of manufactures and cars. That will take a couple days. Once I have the first stage of the web site done, I will update this thread. It's really hard to explain what I want to do until I actually do it, so stay tune.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So I was able to extract all the battery information from HobbyKing, total of about 1050 batteries. I currently have a spreadsheet of them.

Right now, I just need to figure out a quick way of extracting each row of information and load it into the database.

For example, I need to extract the Brand name(Have a table for that in the database), and the number of cells. Information like mAh, C-Rate, weight is already there in separate column which makes my life a lot easier.

I am thinking about creating a little robot program to visit the product page of each battery and then extract all the information like the dimension and things like that.

OR

I should just let the users submit the information through a form in which they fill out the details and provide a product link and a review/comment and I will add them manually to the database for now and once we have enough batteries in the database, users can then just choose from the list.