Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

traxxas 1/10 rally

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:44 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: traxxas 1/10 rally

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

as for the longer arms not helping onroad...it aint meant for onroad. Its a car meant for rough surface and mild jumps.
If we are talking about a car that can do what it's scaled up brothers can do than it should at least do ok on-road. Rally covers just about any surface you can think of.
that is true.
I think true rallying is an aspect which is hard to replicate in RC.
For a rc to do decent offroad you need tires which usually suck on pavement.

But I see your point. True rallying means a mix of dirt, pavement, snow, gravel ect.

A liscesned body would indeed have been nice. As would scale details like an exhaust pipe, full fender wells, mud flaps ect. But then traxxas has never been that great at those sorts of things.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:20 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

Yet another disproportional traxxas vehicle, who would've thought.
*sigh, come on let's hear it, what's wrong with it?
Is it the stated scale?
Wheel base vs track?
Or is it because it's a traxxas?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Traxxas does suck..

There was an announcement here in Germany recently that soon they will be increasing the price of all their RTR models. As if they're not overpriced already. Traxxas cars are just good looking, but under the body flimsy plastic needing expensive hopups. Showy money-pits..

The business plan of Traxxas, succesful though it is, is lame for the end user. It's like flashy, but ultimately bad entertainment. Lot of show, not so much go.. Kyosho has a 1/9 rally car- the DRX, which I would get over the Traxxas any day. Of course nitro, too.. But still, I'd probably get a Duratrax over a Traxxas..

Of course, the main advantage of Traxxas - in the US anyway - is that all the LHS's carry it.. But if like me you have no decent LHS and are totally dependent on the internet for all your RC needs except fuel, then there really is no need to sink your money into Traxxas...
Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 PM
phmaximus

wow, so basickly u have gone on this thread just to tell us how much traxxas sucks in your oppinion.

Cant we just keep this thread about the rally car? if u hate traxxas so much stop talking about them. and rember ur oppinion is your own and does not make it a fact.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:09 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

maybe we have to look at this car as something different...as it is.

If we compare it to 1/10 rally cars then it fails. The body isnt scale enough and looks a bit off.

But then it wasnt built off a 1/10 onroad chassis...as nearly all 1/10 rally cars are.

Traxxas has kinda gone the other way around...take a truck and make it a rally car.

Granted, some 1/8 rally cars are a simllar idea, take a 1/8 and make it into a car.

But traxxas didnt have a 1/8 buggy to work with.

At any rate, tho its scale is a bit off and the body a bit out of proportions.....the video show it performing where now 1/10 rally cars can. ANY video I have seen of 1/10 rally driving envolved a surface that only sorta matches the real thing.
The traxxas car actually looks like it can do a decent sized jump, and deal with soft or rutted ground.

I do wonder tho if they thought to make the wheels 17mm hex. If they kept it 12mm then they made a big mistake.

But I guess my main point, while the car has flaws it appears from the video that traxxas has made a CAR which can drive fast over some fairly ruff surfaces. And there are few cars that would do that.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

maybe we have to look at this car as something different...as it is.

If we compare it to 1/10 rally cars then it fails. The body isnt scale enough and looks a bit off.

But then it wasnt built off a 1/10 onroad chassis...as nearly all 1/10 rally cars are.

Traxxas has kinda gone the other way around...take a truck and make it a rally car.

Granted, some 1/8 rally cars are a simllar idea, take a 1/8 and make it into a car.

But traxxas didnt have a 1/8 buggy to work with.

At any rate, tho its scale is a bit off and the body a bit out of proportions.....the video show it performing where now 1/10 rally cars can. ANY video I have seen of 1/10 rally driving envolved a surface that only sorta matches the real thing.
The traxxas car actually looks like it can do a decent sized jump, and deal with soft or rutted ground.

I do wonder tho if they thought to make the wheels 17mm hex. If they kept it 12mm then they made a big mistake.

But I guess my main point, while the car has flaws it appears from the video that traxxas has made a CAR which can drive fast over some fairly ruff surfaces. And there are few cars that would do that.
but they do have a 1/10th SCT to work with that has the same wheelbase as a 1/8th buggy, but they changed its wheelbase so normal 1/8th rally bodies wouldn't fit though, and you would be forced to use the ones they make (unless pro-line or another manufacturer makes some)...

Here's a question is the HPI rally far off of the rally scale(don't know as HPI's site won't load for me as I type this)? Cause from what I saw that is based off a ST.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:25 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So would this body fit? The dimensions look about right. Pro-Line 2012 Ford Focus ST for the Slash.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:41 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I would want to convert my 2WD Slash into one! Not sure if it's possible, though.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Why didn't Traxxas use this pan in the first place for the Slash 4x4?  The high pan makes some sense for the 'Pede 4x4 but, the Slash is a SC truck which is a desirable racing platform and high CG is not beneficial.

Other than the generic looking body I dig this new rally.  Basing this opinion solely on internet research and photos: I think the WR8 is a more solid platform with a nice body already included.  I've heard mixed reviews about the stock electronics from both brands so, I can't say one is the clear winner in my book.  If Traxxas prices this car appropriately, then this could be a big hit.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

Yet another disproportional traxxas vehicle, who would've thought.
*sigh, come on let's hear it, what's wrong with it?
Is it the stated scale?
Wheel base vs track?
Or is it because it's a traxxas?
Read post#22
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 AM
turok007

just been looking at the specs again and the bodies that already fit the slash will fit this car. so the kyosho 1/8 bodies will be fine. also it should handle well as my slash 4x4 was turned into a rally platform by lowering the ride height and removing the front and rear bumpers. in other words i have the new rally 1/10 already apart from a few extra mm in ride height. some people might not like the rally as the pan will hit the ground a lot on a rough surface and the car will spin out. so some will get it but try to get the car to ride higher. lol
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It’s interesting that I’m hearing the same response from local tracks and racers that I did many year back when the Slash was released.

So far every track I have talked to is putting together a Spec Rally class much the way they did for the Slash. A couple are alreay working on new track layout ideas and waiting to get their hands on the first few cars for testing.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Eman77

If only it were wider, then I'd like it.

*sigh!*

....in all seriousness, it looks way too wide. Besides, if I go rally, it'll be DF-03RA or XV-01.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

+1
Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: Eman77

If only it were wider, then I'd like it.

*sigh!*

....in all seriousness, it looks way too wide. Besides, if I go rally, it'll be DF-03RA or XV-01.
Wouldent recomend a DF03R, The chassis is one big dirt trap with very limited cooling forthe motor and there is hardly any clearence from the wheels to the suspension arms. I have never had so manny problems with a off road car. keept getting rocks jamming up the wheels and the steering... never hadthese problems with a TA01
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 PM
bronco25ton
My Feedback: (-2)

I think it's pretty cool overall. Atleast Traxxas is always coming out with something new for everyone.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking forward to trying one out, if possible.  A-Main hobbies is showing a $465 retail.....ouchie.  I'd have to try it and REALLY like it for that entry price.  Maybe they'll offer a kit, or better yet a ROLLER!  But since the RTR comes with a TQi radio, it Would be a good excuse to get an iPhone......
Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

I'm looking forward to trying one out, if possible. A-Main hobbies is showing a $465 retail.....ouchie. I'd have to try it and REALLY like it for that entry price. Maybe they'll offer a kit, or better yet a ROLLER! But since the RTR comes with a TQi radio, it Would be a good excuse to get an iPhone......
traxxas hasnt done ARR or kits.

I dont understand their putting the TQi radio in this car. But then, all I want from a radio is simple function. I have no desire for a bunch of features I will never use.

Hopefully, they will consider releasing a brushed version with basic radio. Then we can buy it for alot less and slap a cheap brushless system into it.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 PM
phmaximus

Lol why don't u think they should NOT use the cheap $17 basic version of the TQi?

I can assure that the stock basic version of the TQi will be simple enough for even you to use.
They don't even have the docking base, rechargable battery pack or telemerty sensors. And are only 2ch

I would recomend maby doing some research on the TQi

Brushed.... My kids play with brushed toys, I play brushless
Old 10-19-2012, 05:14 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Lol why don't u think they should NOT use the cheap $17 basic version of the TQi?

I can assure that the stock basic version of the TQi will be simple enough for even you to use.
They don't even have the docking base, rechargable battery pack or telemerty sensors. And are only 2ch

I would recomend maby doing some research on the TQi

Brushed.... My kids play with brushed toys, I play brushless
The TQi is only the ipod/phone version. The older, non-ipod versions are just TQ's.
As far as whether they'd release a new vehicle without the TQi, I really doubt it. They have something new and trendy, so they are going to eventually include it with everything and drive already high prices even higher.

It's one of the reasons I don't like traxxas anymore. They market exclusively to (wealthy) newbies; to experienced RCers, who want to build their cars or at least use their own electronics, they turn their backs on us and pretend we don't exist.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:01 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Actually the TQi with docking base is the iPhone version. If it doesn't say "with docking base" it's just a regular 2.4GHz radio. The Rally doesn't come with the docking base or the sensors.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 AM
The Mad Modder

If you check their site, all TQi radios are "Compatible with iPhone and iPod touch". The regular versions without docking base require the optional accessory 6510 docking base, though, to interface with an ipods and iphones.

Even though it doesn't come with the docking base or sensors, just having their new 2.4 instead of their regular tq does raise the price of their cars which are rather high already.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:34 PM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

They are in stock at tower, all colors. $439.98 minus the $50 member discount makes it $389.98. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXCWHE**&P=ML .
I have the ttr MT4g3 and EB4g3 and love them both, so I would go with the TTR 1/8 Rally based on the EB4g3 buggy platform. Mind you its almost $100 more its 4s capable and built right and has a licensed body. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCPAW&P=ML .
The TRX rally sits to low imo and would really be best for street use. But this is just my opinion. Nothing against Traxxas, I just prefer Thunder Tiger for their durability.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:48 PM
djyjrlz

i think the issue with this, and with most other 'scale' sections of rc, is that they dont have enough weight to pull off a scale appearnace/performance. it would have to weigh a fair bit more to act like a fullsize car, and i would love to see that from a manufacturer. i might even build my own proper scale weighted rc, just to see how it performs...